Telemedicine & PAs

I didn't word my question very well. I don't mean "get around" - I have no reason to try to avoid it - but I meant if you're doing a fully remote gig from another state - how do you connect with an SP if you're not working out of a physical clinic?

BTW - I noticed, too, that many ads are for "physicians/NPs", and I believe it is bc these practices don't want to deal with the SP element. Another downside to PA \non-independence!

• Upvote 1

The licensing rules vary for telehealth.  As far as sp, they don't actually need to be following you around, just available via electronic means, phone or teams or Skype or whatnot.  I practice pretty autonomously as the sole provider in a clinic 90 minutes away from my sp, but am able to reach him somehow, on his personal cellphone if needed.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, thinkertdm said:

The licensing rules vary for telehealth.  As far as sp, they don't actually need to be following you around, just available via electronic means, phone or teams or Skype or whatnot.  I practice pretty autonomously as the sole provider in a clinic 90 minutes away from my sp, but am able to reach him somehow, on his personal cellphone if needed.  

Thanks, I'm aware of the SP parameters; I've been a PA for 15 years 🙂

I guess I'm not asking this properly. Do the telehealth companies hook you up with an SP? Maybe that's the best place to start.

I'm not a new PA, but I am just new to telehealth, and I'm just not sure how they solve the SP requirement when you are not physically connected to colleagues.

Maybe it's best if people who actually work in this capacity share their experience 🙂

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Reality Check 2 said:

If an employer doesn't "hook you up" with an SP - then they don't know what they are doing. RUN

You always have to have an SP. 

Employers should know the laws, provide malpractice, etc. 

If it is a startup company that is preying on the pandemic - RUN.

Practice smart. Ask questions.

I didn't say they did or didn't "hook me up". There is no job. This is a hypothetical. I'm just looking into it, and I want to know how it works if you are in one state and the practice/MD is in another (ie, you don't share a clinical office).

Has anyone practiced in such a situation? If so, how did it work for you in terms of the SP?

• Like 1

There are lots of telehealth companies that have popped up and, of course, a fair number of shady ones. I think what he was saying above is beware of companies that expect you to find your own SP. It seems to be a red flag. 

If you are on FB check out the PAVMT group. They have an abundance of information you can scroll through, watch, and read that will probably give you more information than you need. They cover all the rules for SPs and who has to be located where in detail.

I have talked to a lot of folks who are dabbling on telehealth and a few telehealth company. Right now it is in more of the "developing concept" phase of things. Personally I don't know anyone making good money at it. Most folks are doing it as a part of a larger practice, as a side hustle, or a semi-retirement gig. There are, of course, exceptions

I was contacted by a group yesterday that paid a per visit rate on a 1099 that would have given me a practical pay rate of about $30/hr if I was busy. He hung up on me when I started laughing. I guess my first clue should have been the 4 hours of mandatory unpaid training before you start.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2020 at 5:19 PM, rev ronin said:

Does that even meet statutory minimum wage?  I know, contractors are exempt in general, but still.

Please see my comment about PAs and 1099 work in Grover's thread on accepting (or not) a crappy UC offer:

Edited by kittryn

• 3 weeks later...

I have been looking for almost 3 years. I have not had a job since Feb - and I have been aggressively looking every day. ANRP are taking over and the odds of us being about to practice without an AP is diminishing after the AMA campaigned against ' stop scope creep' 

I have been in medicine 26 years, I dont need the SP. I dont. Most of my jobs I never see or speak to the SP they are in another state. 

I joined PAVMT and all they have are old job postings ( some not even telemedicine) then you go into a webinar with hope that this could be it your going to find the answer. 

its like a damn infomercial when your done who ever is talking wants money - THOUSANDS to start up in their group. 

I kept asking what is the cost, what is the cost, and some jerk answers -' That depends on if you want a BMW or a Mercedes" ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!! Im disabled and need to work from home and on unemployment. I got so mad, I responded " I cant afford a bus pass, so I dont think this is for me'' 

I also joined PAFT because the AAPA is a continual disappointment. YES we are being squeezed out of jobs from ANRP because they have better representation. They have autonomy in over 20 states now. 

When you watch the news and they talk about Covid, I NEVER hear the phrase '' physician assistant' 

They mention MD and Nurses, It really makes me mad. I feel like becoming a PA was the worst choice of my life. I should have been an ANRP, I even wrote the AAPA and asked if they know of a bridge program to become an ANRP because PA wont be around much longer 

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, rookiejay said:

I also joined PAFT

I agree with much of your statement, but wanted to thank you for your support.

I have been disappointed with other groups who claim to be advocating on PAs behalf, but only for a faction of it. I understand one does not always see what is happening behind the curtain, but when a group only advocates for one specific group, there are many that are left behind. 

Edited by KpsPac
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Not sure if there is another forum for this specifically but just curious on others thoughts/experiences. I've applied to a few telemedicine gigs so I can be with my husband as he travels for work (some companies responded quickly, only NPs) others I've interviewed with via phonecall but I'm hesitant to move forward with - high start up cost for providers, not enough info, seem money driven versus caring for patients, etc. I like to stick with my gut feeling on this situation and I would much rather see patients in a clinic setting, I only looked into this option for my family situation as mentioned above. I do think telemedicine can be an awesome avenue for some providers and patients I'm just curious on others experiences. Anyone in telemedicine and loving it? If so, what company did you apply to? Malpractice coverage? 

• Administrator

I've done telemedicine for all of my practice settings in 2020: Family/occ med, sleep medicine, eating disorders, and now pain.  I didn't ever apply for any telemedicine-only job.  I ended up seeing patients, both new and existing, as part of Covid-19 pivoting.

Because I was doing telemed as part of my normal jobs, I didn't take any pay cut to do it.

Understand that as you are looking for a telemedicine-only gig, the supply of available PAs or NPs exceeds the demand, so you are not likely to be used unless you can be low cost and low hassle.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the feedback! I think that's awesome that telemedicine has been incorporated into your current jobs and I'm sure that is very needed with Covid-19, too. I agree as well with that statement - some telemedicine only gigs rely on us to find our own patients and it seems more costly to invest in because the supply does exceed demand. I appreciate your response! I suppose I could always try a prn/pt locum job during this season of life too. Thanks again!

20 hours ago, TexasPA28 said:

WTF?

Is this a joke?

Well, more so, 1 company I interviewed with said they’d help find patients if I needed to but that most of their providers just brought their “regular” patients over to telemedicine. And as mentioned they couldn’t guarantee work/patients since so many providers were already in certain locations, etc.