I am currently working on finishing out my second to last didactic semester and starting to plan for clinical rotations.  I worked as a ED tech prior to PA school and loved it.  I also worked a telemetry/cardiac floor tech and between that and lots of shadowing was most interested in EM.  I would consider primary care and hospital medicine as well.  

Is an emergency medicine residency a must in order to work ED? Can anyone give pros and cons? I am interested in a residency, but also would consider primary care or hospitalist medicine and maybe transitioning to ER eventually if I could not get an ER job right away without residency.  Is that unreasonable to think of transitioning? 

As far as rotations are there any rotations to try to get to either prepare for a EM residency or to apply for ED jobs without residency? We have 3 electives, plan to do extra EM electives.  Is that the best way to use all 3 extra electives? Or add Trauma surgery, urgent care, critical care/ICU? 

If you can do an EM residency, i.e. can afford the 12-18 months of lower income and can get accepted, by all means do a residency.  You'll be head and shoulders above new grads, and even above some experienced EM PA's in what you can do.  A very important caveat: only do legitimate EM residencies, not the "residencies" advertised by employers.  Look for ones which include off-service rotations and other didactics.  There's lots of good discussions on this forum.

The same reasoning applies to picking your elective rotations: trauma surgery and ICU rotations will be very helpful.  Urgent care not so much.  If you have time and funds, take ATLS and ultrasound training.  You can do a 2nd EM rotation, but don't make that your exclusive elective choice.  The others will get you skills that are very EM applicable that are hard to get in the ED itself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

Or, you will be able to work your way up to seeing higher acuity, but it will take several years, likely 3-5, of dedicated work on your part.

3-5 would be fast. Took me 16 to go from fast track to solo coverage. Could have done it a bit faster, but had really great pay, retirement, and benefits at my job before going solo, so probably stayed there a bit longer than I needed to, despite it being a move the meat trauma ctr kind of place

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By tegriswold446
      Hello everyone!  I am in my 2nd semester of PA school and am in search of preceptors in my area. I live in Greenville, SC and currently commute to Hendersonville, NC for class which is about 40 minutes each day. Because of this, I am really hoping to find preceptors closer to home.
      I am currently in search of any preceptors in Greenville, Travelers Rest, Greer, Mauldin, Easley, Powdersville, Taylors, and really anywhere in the north west South Carolina area! 
      If you or anyone you know is interested in taking on a PA student who is super eager to learn and be in the upstate area, please let me know! 
      Thank you so much.
    • By mikesharma
      Hey everyone!  I'm a newbie here.  I am not attempting to spam the forum right out of the gate but wanted to let everyone know about a free opportunity online on Wednesday, 12/2, 5p Pacific,  8p Eastern, no purchase required.
      The Center for Medical Education... the people who do the Original Emergency Medicine Boot Camp and other cool emergency-medicine-focused courses... is going to have a Faculty Forum tomorrow evening with special guest, Dr. Sergey Motov.  He has been of the biggest recent proponents in doing original research as well as publicizing appropriate uses for opioids in the treatment of pain in the acute setting (EM / UC), in addition to other nonopioid methods of pain management.  Dr. Motov's going to be putting on a mini-course summarizing a TON of information.  I have been a follower of his work and his colleagues' work for a while and I still learned a ton when I previewed his talk today.
      After the mini-course, some of the EM Boot Camp Faculty (myself included) are going to be shooting the stuff, answering questions live (and probably arguing a little bit).  You can submit questions live or even send them in an little bit early.  Other than having your most burning questions answered, if you submit a great comment or question, you also have the opportunity to win:
      - a copy of Dr. Motov's brand-new EMRA Pain Management Guide (from the same folks who bring you the awesome EMRA Antibiotics Guide)
      - and the grand prize, ANY ONE of our CCME courses for FREE!  You could grab the Original EM Boot Camp... or if you're a little more seasoned, maybe you go for the Advanced EM Boot Camp or High Risk Emergency Medicine!  Maybe you want to get caught up on new, hot literature and so you go for the Emergency Medicine & Acute Care course.
      Everyone's a winner tomorrow night because you're going to be getting some great info, regardless of whether you walk away with one of our prizes or not.  Would love to have a great PA turnout!  It would most definitely qualify for Cat 2 CME.  Let me know if you have any questions.

-------------------------
      Mike Sharma, PA-C
      Emergency Medicine
      Dallas, TX

https://youtu.be/JL5PQTo6Oqg  

• By Bloomcailtin
      Hello,
      I'm currently searching for EMPA jobs in the Seattle area. Looking to move in late spring/early summer of 2021 for my boyfriend's job. I've completed a postgrad residency in emergency medicine in an inner city hospital in the midwest. Will have 2 years of experience by time of move, was also an EMT-B for 3 years prior to school. I was wondering if anyone had information on good hospitals/groups to look at or knows of any places hiring!
      Thanks!
      C. Bloom
    • By ezieba2
      Hello All!
      In search of preceptors!! I am currently a PAS1 student and our school is looking to expand our clinical rotations for next year. I would absolutely love to do my rotations at home in Chicago and our school will allow us to plan away rotations if we make contacts and provide the preceptor (can be PA, NP, DO, or MD). BUT rotations anywhere are very welcome!!! 
      If you, or any of your colleagues would welcome a student rotation in your office please PM me. I would greatly appreciate any and all advice, Thank you!
    • By UCSF Fresno
      The University of California San Francisco (UCSF) - Fresno Emergency Medicine PA Residency is accepting applications for the 2021 application cycle. This 18-month postgraduate program, affiliated with the UCSF School of Medicine, is designed to prepare PAs to practice in a variety of emergency medicine environments.
      We will be accepting 2 residents in 2021. Virtual interviews will be offered in 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The class will start late June 2021 but we will be offering rolling admissions into the Fall for accepted applicants who have a later PA school graduation date. 
      Deadline to apply is January 15, 2021. 
      Rotations include:
      Trauma Critical Care Pediatric Emergency Medicine Burn Orthopedics Dermatology Ophthalmology Oral Maxillofacial Surgery Toxicology Emergency Ultrasound Anesthesia EMS  Resuscitation courses include: ACLS, ATLS, BLS, PALS
      18-month stipend: $87,000
      Benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability insurance, 401k, employee assistance program, 4 weeks of vacation, membership in the Society of Emergency Medicine Physician Assistants (SEMPA), UCSF email access, textbook, malpractice coverage, and more.
      Paid travel to SEMPA 360, SEMPA's annual conference.
      Our state-of-the-art ED at Community Regional Medical Center serves as the only Level 1 Trauma Center/Burn Center for Central California, and handles an annual ED volume of over 110,000.
      The Department of Emergency Medicine hosts fellowships in Emergency Ultrasound, Medical Education, and Wilderness Medicine. Our faculty are involved with EM:RAP, EMS, wilderness medicine, ultrasound, medical education, toxicology, international emergency medicine, and more. They are also leaders within the emergency medicine and EMPA community.
      PA Resident safety is our highest priority during the COVID-19 pandemic. PPE is in supply and rotations are constantly evaluated to ensure a safe work environment.
      What's it like to train here?
      https://youtu.be/3r0p-WhytpY
      https://youtu.be/0I81VgBvU4E
      Website: http://www.fresno.ucsf.edu/emergency-medicine-physician-assistant/

Email: em.pa.residency@fresno.ucsf.edu

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More