New PA-C...can I legally perform this physical exam?

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, dwm5157 said:
Can a recent grad, fully licensed (Pennsylvania), but unemployed perform and sign off on a physical exam...or is a written agreement required to do so? I don't want to get myself or anyone else in hot water!

Not a PA PA (ha ha) but I'm pretty sure you need some sort of a collaborative agreement.  Now, on top of that it'd be a REALLY GOOD IDEA to have malpractice insurance, etc.  In other words, based on what you posit here, I can't see how this would be a remotely good idea, even on the off chance it was legal.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, rev ronin said:

Not a PA PA (ha ha) but I'm pretty sure you need some sort of a collaborative agreement.  Now, on top of that it'd be a REALLY GOOD IDEA to have malpractice insurance, etc.  In other words, based on what you posit here, I can't see how this would be a remotely good idea, even on the off chance it was legal.

This!

Don't do it.

It's a good idea to read your states pa practice act, and not rely on word of mouth. There's lots of tidbits in there.

What you are describing is called "independence" and you aren't.  I could go into this all day long on various ways you can get sued, but the long and short of it is that you need to work alongside a physician.  In many states a np could do exactly what you are describing without any sort of the beaurocratic baloney we "need".

Once you get a job, join your state society so you can help move toward independence.

In fact, my own in laws will ask "how about..." And I stop them.  Because a. I don't treat family members, and b. I don't show up at their work and ask for a shelf or tv for free.

Obviously, I have to chime in and say that you could possibly have the shortest PA career in existence. It's kind of like

'Offsides" in a football game, you are trying to utilize your skills prematurely, and this is a felony in PA. You need a physician and a malpractice company. Even hospital PAs are liable if they work for an entity and as a clinician they are not in a relationship with said hospital. As mentioned, It is Independent Practice and you may have to wait more than five to ten years before that is accomplished.

I have in the past filled out camp health forms for my kids and signed them as a medical practitioner who examined them (only when the form does not specify that it has to be Their Pediatrician). Because I would not sue myself (or the camp) for an incorrect finding (not that there would be one).

But other than that, I wouldn't venture to practice outside of my job.

As a PA, we are not allowed to do anything without the almighty CP. One cannot even take a temperature. Wish I were kidding. 

I think so many nuances of PA practices are not taught in school, but it seems to be getting worse. Anyone else think this? 

THIS is why we need to be untied from the physicians. Why do others not see this? (not on here, but elsewhere.......) 

kps