On 10/27/2020 at 7:24 PM, EMEDPA said:

I believe there is a chart in Tarascon. 

As an aside, the current trend is to never use more than 15 mg of toradol by any route as studies have shown 60 mg works no better than 10 mg , but causes a lot more kidney and GI issues. 

Yup... data shows the therapeutic ceiling for IV toradol is 10mg.  

• Like 2

It isn’t about efficacy.  It’s about which dosing/medication generates the greatest in-house revenue for the employer.  Years ago in EM once I saw the results for po ibuprofen compared to IV Toradol, well I’ll let you guess which of the two I started to prescribe more often.

This was meant to imply that I gave up on the Toradol.

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess
Addition

1 hour ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

It isn’t about efficacy.  It’s about which dosing/medication generates the greatest in-house revenue for the employer.  Years ago in EM once I saw the results for po ibuprofen compared to IV Toradol, well I’ll let you guess which of the two I started to prescribe more often.

There is a huge mark up on toradol. I took a family member into an Urgent care(not even an ER) for a bad h/a not responding to triptans, compazine, etc. They got IM toradol only. The bill? $800. I asked a pharmacist what the cost of a 60 mg vial of toradol is. $12. 

13 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

I remember a UC I worked for telling me to stop giving decadron PO because they wanted to be able to bill the $35 for an IM injection.

We'd withdraw  0.6mg/kg of decadron from the vial into a syringe, then mix with apple juice and have kids drink if for croup exacerbations in our ER.  Worked great and admin never gave us a hard time about it either.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dfw6er said:

We'd withdraw  0.6mg/kg of decadron from the vial into a syringe, then mix with apple juice and have kids drink if for croup exacerbations in our ER.  Worked great and admin never gave us a hard time about it either.  

same, but generally in ibu 100/5 as they have fevers too.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1