Hazard Pay/COVID bonus

Hey all,

I wanted to know if anyone who worked in specialties involved in treating COVID patients received hazard pay, a COVID bonus or extra vacation time. If yes, what specialty are you in and do you work for a hospital system or a private practice? 

I work for a private practice and will be renewing my new contract soon. I was on the front lines for months without any bonus, acknowledgment or extra time off given. Wanted to have some data to negotiate with. 

Thanks in advance. 

4 minutes ago, xerinahs said:

Hey all,

I wanted to know if anyone who worked in specialties involved in treating COVID patients received hazard pay, a COVID bonus or extra vacation time. If yes, what specialty are you in and do you work for a hospital system or a private practice? 

I work for a private practice and will be renewing my new contract soon. I was on the front lines for months without any bonus, acknowledgment or extra time off given. Wanted to have some data to negotiate with. 

Thanks in advance. 

Nope. Critical care. Hospital system. Was actually told repeatedly that we shouldn't ask for anything (including yearly raise) as we "were lucky we weren't getting furloughed".

Edit: With that being said, all nurses in the system got a $1500 COVID bonus, regardless of whether they actually managed those patients or not.

Edited by MediMike

Wow. I guess I shouldn’t feel bad, haha! I am employed by a private practice but mostly work inpatient for a hospital system that paid their workers (not just nurses) $2500 bonus plus an extra week vacation. It’s not really the money that I’m after (though it would be nice), it’s more that I don’t feel so appreciated. A bonus or extra vacation time would be nice. 

Every single employee in the hospital got a $400 dollar bonus back in the summer. We were told though that no one was likely to get a merit increase this year. 

My CAH has been pretty supportive. They have done a great deal with a very small margin, making sure no one lost their job (some were furloughed for a time). They haven't made a big deal of us treating COVID, but all the providers are of the same opinion that this is our job so extra appreciation isn't necessary as long as we don't lose any benefits. Any bonuses we support being given to the environmental workers first and then work it's way up the chain. Admin last of course 😉 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, greenmood said:

However, we did all receive a $1000 payment last week that was framed as a “thank you” gift. It was given to all exempt employees who took pay cuts earlier in the year. And then we received back pay from those pay cuts. And the company is returning the 403b match that was halted in April.

Skip the $1000 payment...I would just take the return of the $6,000 they took from me and my 403b match...

On 10/26/2020 at 7:45 AM, mgriffiths said:

Skip the $1000 payment...I would just take the return of the $6,000 they took from me and my 403b match...

I’ll take all of it, but I know what you mean. I was most excited about the return of the match. They are making a bulk December contribution of all missing match money. 

On 10/26/2020 at 7:37 PM, bobinski said:

lunch provided for the first few weeks of the nitty gritty. nothing else. company also got large PPP loan despite volume staying high. Opening a new clinic...go figure. 

yeah

I think the companies that needed it didn't get it, and the money grubbing big corps got it....

annoying....

bet the exec's got a freekin bonus 

Everyone got $500 across the board...except providers. Just got informed that bonuses will be paid for the year and a letter detailing payment will be coming. That's not the way I expected them to say " don't worry you're getting the 5% bonus that's in your contract"

I was furloughed for 6 weeks and volunteered to come back to work in a covid unit for 4 weeks. I had to burn my vacation time before taking unemployment.

On 10/25/2020 at 2:24 PM, charlottew said:

ICU here. No COVID bonus, but our addcomp rate (for picking up extra shifts) was temporarily bumped up about 30%. It's back down, now

Actually, an update - my shop is giving everyone in the hospital a $500 bonus. This apparently includes the residents. It's a nice gesture, I think.