PA practice ownership in New York State

short answer NO

NYS has very restrictive laws towards PA's owning practice. I live in a border town and although the NYS side is DESPARATE for an internal med clinic (nothing in the area for almost 30 miles) I was specifically barred from having any type of clinic that employed any type of supervising doc - I have heard that you can set up a rural health clinic to get around it but I believe it is NYS general law they states in no way may a PA or Corporation owned by a PA employ a spervising Doc - - - so instead of starting a clinic in NYS I am doing one in Mass. Goes to show that state law can profoundly effect the care delivered to it's residents! NYSPA is working hard on getting some changes pushed through - not sure if this is one of them.....

• 3 weeks later...

I live in Buffalo, NY and I'm looking into opening my own practice as well in Dermatology. I will be graduating in December of 2013. My sister is currently an NP in derm, and the Dr. she works with is willing to leave the hospital clinic. The Doctor did not want all the hassles of owning her own practice, because she works 2-3 days a week and has children. What is the best way for me to have my own practice? I figure now is a perfect time to have a dermatology practice, because there is a huge need for derms around here, considering the avg wait to get an appointment is approx 3-6 months. Would I be able to have a split ownership, 33% owned by myself, 33% my sister (NP), and 33% the Doctor? Would it be easier to get financing, and work around the laws that are against PA ownership with this type of set up? Thanks for the help

I live in Buffalo, NY and I'm looking into opening my own practice as well in Dermatology. I will be graduating in December of 2013. My sister is currently an NP in derm, and the Dr. she works with is willing to leave the hospital clinic. The Doctor did not want all the hassles of owning her own practice, because she works 2-3 days a week and has children. What is the best way for me to have my own practice? I figure now is a perfect time to have a dermatology practice, because there is a huge need for derms around here, considering the avg wait to get an appointment is approx 3-6 months. Would I be able to have a split ownership, 33% owned by myself, 33% my sister (NP), and 33% the Doctor? Would it be easier to get financing, and work around the laws that are against PA ownership with this type of set up? Thanks for the help

yikes WOULD NOT start a new practice as a new grad - doing just one of these is hard enough

I had looked into the owership of practice's in NYS about 2 years ago and there was clear language that in no way may a PA employ a physician even through a corporate set up.

http://www.pace.edu/sites/pace.edu.lienhard/files/media/files/NYSSPA_News_Spring_10.pdf

half way down on the right side next to the photo:

A few months ago, NYSSPA and our lobbyist met with members of the Department of Health (DOH) to discuss private practice ownership by PAs. Unfortunately, DOH reiterated in a letter that a physician assistant or their business entity may not employ a physician supervisor or hire a physician supervisor through an independent contractor or other mechanism.

In researching this the only way to make it work was to have a rural health clinic -

this is not to say that there is not a current practice up and running - as you could start up a company and run it till someone complained to the state and then they would shut you down. Things may have changed as NYSSPA has been making great efforts to change state law - BUT if you go down this avenue make sure to hire an attorney to get a legal opinion as everything I learned it was illegal to in any way hire a doc - strangly enough I think your spouse could own the company as I don't think they have a "corporate practice of medicine" restriction.

You really have to talk to an attorney - advise here is free and that is about the worth of it

I again restate --- you should NOT be a new grad and a new business owner..... Personally I feel 5 years experience in the field is needed before majority practice ownership with limited supervision.

• 3 months later...

I've been researching lately if Pas are in fact allowed to operate in jn NY/NJ pa own clinic. Read specific of state to state but there's no specifics of PA not allowed to to own a clinic with an MD.

ive been wanting to open up a primary care/derm in the next two three years. My friend is flushing his residency in primary.

http://issuu.com/paassist/docs/aapa_summary_of_physician_assistant_ownership

I think it's easier in nj surprisingly.

Edited by mikeSpa

• 7 years later...

Hello 

i have read the post dated  a few years back regarding this topic on NY - PA ownership in a practice and i'm hoping someone might have figured out how to do this without legal problems. 

I'm in NYC and looking to open shop with a SP. 

Has anyone figured out how to open a practice with a SP on paper so not to be screwed.  Please any guidance would be appreciated! 

Lucian 

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Lucian Found and done. More than what was expected but we have opened new avenues and now created a path that we can help duplicate if your are interested in working entrepreneurship/ your own practice. We guide you from legal referral to opening your doors for service to the successful and efficient management and administration of the practice. We do this for PAs, NPs and MDs. 

We can help if anyone is interested. 

IG -  LuxMed_MSO

FB - LuxMed MSO