Laptop vs iPad

You bet there are advantages. Personally, I have a laptop (dell -- fairly new and in good shape) and I just bought the new ipad 32 gb. One advantage to a laptop is the convenience of a large scale keyboard to type on at home (papers, reports, spread sheets etc etc.). Also if you have both in class (space permitting) you can download the most up to date anatomy app and follow along while watching the powerpoint taking notes on your laptop, or vice versa. I would say have both.. why not?? Sure it's not cheap, but whats $500-1000 tacked on to massive loans anyways.. it's for convenience and organization mostly.

I don't start my program until August... but, I just wanted to chime in quickly as I have debated with this same thing! My experience, a laptop can actually be very practical. They make laptops these days under 3 pounds! The screen is still larger than the ipad and include a nice comfortable keyboard and good battery life. I have the HP Folio 13. LOVE IT! My current job requires a lot of travel and I must answer emails, etc. often from the road.... plus lately, make sure I complete all of the correct paperwork, registration, buy books, etc., and I can do all of that anywhere that has wifi with my laptop. The start up is immediate.

The upside (in my eyes) of an ipad.... internet wherever (even in your car) if you're setup with the data plan. However, many, many places have free wifi these days. And even airplanes have wifi you can pay for. Some apps as mentioned in above posts may prove helpful.... honestly, I feel like they may be just more fun than necessary, but possibly helpful regardless.

At the end of the day, I decided I was happy with my laptop and didn't need an ipad. I mean, if I was given one, I'd of course take it and play with all the cool apps and use the facetime to call home, etc. But, I currently have access to these fun extras with my phone. So, it'd be a little excessive for me personally.

Good luck in school!

Archived