University of Lynchburg DMSc

I am considering enrolling in The University of Lynchburg DMSc program

Can anyone provide more specific insight in regard to the program?  I did review what has already been discussed on this message board but I am hoping for some additional detailed information.  Example of syllabi would be outstanding.

I have questions on specific time requirements and workload.  Did you find the program difficult?  How time consuming did you find the practicum?  Were there actual assignments for the practicum or just logging of clinical hours/work

Any additional insight would be helpful.

I am a 20 year PA and currently in the process of completing a second graduate degree at this time and would like to begin this degree simultaneously.  I need to ensure I can manage the workload.

Thanks in advance.

4 hours ago, ventana said:

fyi. I have heard that Nebraska is doing a program as well

as a grad of their MS I am waiting on their program to compare the two...

Any idea of the anticipated start date for the UNMS program?

I am in process of completing a second graduate degree at the moment and to be honest I just want to keep the momentum going.  The Masters I am currently completing is enjoyable but definitely a lot of work and I would like to be done with both around the same time.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, CJAdmission said:

Everyone on earth is going to be opening one of these programs in the next few years. If you can stall a bit, you might have more options. 

Maybe, maybe not.  Since so many of these programs are online only, just like DNPs, there may be little advantage to having a physical campus.  It's possible, but far from certain, that instead of everyone having such a program, we end up with far fewer than the MS/MPAS programs, and that in 5 years, we just end up transitioning to an initial professional doctorate, just like the NPs are currently.  That would be the logical combination of Covid-19 and degree creep. 😞

2 hours ago, rev ronin said:

Maybe, maybe not.  Since so many of these programs are online only, just like DNPs, there may be little advantage to having a physical campus.  It's possible, but far from certain, that instead of everyone having such a program, we end up with far fewer than the MS/MPAS programs, and that in 5 years, we just end up transitioning to an initial professional doctorate, just like the NPs are currently.  That would be the logical combination of Covid-19 and degree creep. 😞

AGREE

• Administrator
45 minutes ago, Cideous said:

Why?  Not going to make anymore money.  I guess if you want to teach?

Or professional respect.  Plus, while I am a highly motivated independent learner, it would also be really nice to be rewarded for structured academic achievement resulting in either 1) shoring up weak areas as a general practitioner, or 2) gaining recognition in specialty practice.  I'm planning on starting a PA doctorate next fall.

1 hour ago, Cideous said:

But you can make more money with a doctorate. Outside of places that will automatically pay you more (doctorates start as O3 in the military, GS employees pays more for doctorates), you can pretty easily negotiate a raise for having a doctorate if you are working for a soul crushing CMG, which would likely underpay you no matter what.

”but Oneal, you aren’t making the company more, so why would they pay you more?”

so glad you asked. They have no reason to, other than to keep well trained providers. Physicians only bill 15% more than us, but are paid way more than 15% above our salary. It’s all about your ability to negotiate.

27 minutes ago, rev ronin said:

Or professional respect.  Plus, while I am a highly motivated independent learner, it would also be really nice to be rewarded for structured academic achievement resulting in either 1) shoring up weak areas as a general practitioner, or 2) gaining recognition in specialty practice.  I'm planning on starting a PA doctorate next fall.

Where do you plan on applying? Just curious

• Administrator
2 hours ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

Where do you plan on applying? Just curious

I haven't decided yet.  I am currently working on my Th.M. thesis with all the brainpower and typing I can muster.  Pacific may be starting a doctoral program with some alumni discount, and I'm not afraid of beta testing it.  Failing that, I truly haven't decided what I want out of it.  I'd actually like to branch out into even more mental health and end up eligible for the psychiatry CAQ... but then again I know that I do love primary care and maybe I just want a program that broadly increases my competence across medical disciplines.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rev ronin said:

I haven't decided yet.  I am currently working on my Th.M. thesis with all the brainpower and typing I can muster.  Pacific may be starting a doctoral program with some alumni discount, and I'm not afraid of beta testing it.  Failing that, I truly haven't decided what I want out of it.  I'd actually like to branch out into even more mental health and end up eligible for the psychiatry CAQ... but then again I know that I do love primary care and maybe I just want a program that broadly increases my competence across medical disciplines.

Remember that to be eligible for any CAQ, you need work experience and don't have to spend money on additional degree

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, iconic said:

Remember that to be eligible for any CAQ, you need work experience and don't have to spend money on additional degree

Thanks! I'm already working in eating disorders, but would need to broaden my base and deepen my fund of knowledge before I would be comfortable even sitting for the CAQ written. Earning a doctorate in something, eventually, is the last unrealized life goal among those I sat down and wrote out for myself 27 years ago.

On 10/25/2020 at 3:15 PM, Cideous said:

I am a 20 year PA.  I put in my time and I want out of clinical practice as soon as possible.  I have zero interest in health care administration although I would possibly entertain teaching.  I am currently completing a Master in Library and Information Science which surprisingly although not necessarily difficult content is alot of work.  I am also learning alot and enjoy it very much.  There are many options out there in roles that I would find fulfilling with the dual clinical masters and MLIS.  The doctorate simply adds clout in the academic or government environment and often higher pay.  I do not think I have it in me to complete a PhD after this degree.  

Edited by bluiz1997
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, iconic said:
20 hours ago, iconic said:

If only they would do a CAQ for out patient internal medicine.   I just don’t understand why not.   I have email nccpa numerous times over the years.  Few answers are typically we are trained as generalists.  Well duh so are IM docs but they have boards.   

CAQ and DMSc and independent practice.    

2 hours ago, bluiz1997 said:

I am a 20 year PA.  I put in my time and I want out of clinical practice as soon as possible.  I have zero interest in health care administration although I would possibly entertain teaching.  I am currently completing a Master in Library and Information Science which surprisingly although not necessarily difficult content is alot of work.  I am also learning alot and enjoy it very much.  There are many options out there in roles that I would find fulfilling with the dual clinical masters and MLIS.  The doctorate simply adds clout in the academic or government environment and often higher pay.  I do not think I have it in me to complete a PhD after this degree.  

What are you planning on doing with the degree once you're done? I feel like working as an old school librarian would be awesome. 

You constantly steal people's joy. You tell at them for being loud, for turning things in late, for messing up your books... amazing.

25 minutes ago, MediMike said:

What are you planning on doing with the degree once you're done? I feel like working as an old school librarian would be awesome. 

You constantly steal people's joy. You tell at them for being loud, for turning things in late, for messing up your books... amazing.

Haha.  I do not disagree with you; however, new-school librarians are not exactly like the old-school ones.  I'm not 100% sure where I will end up for career 2.0.  There are some pretty cool jobs though.  I think I would enjoy working from home as an indexer for the National Library of Medicine basically adding MeSH terms (like hashtags) to records in PubMed.  For me it sure beats being a GI PA in 2020 and it pays just as well.  🙂 

Edited by bluiz1997
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1