Advice, Criticism, Wake Up Call

Find a new job. If that means moving to a new city, so be it. The tone of your posts comes across as defeated, miserable, and depressed. You need to make a change to be the best PA you can be.

I realize a lot of people have a lot of reasons why they “can’t move” but I think if you don’t do something drastic you’re going to end up with another 9 month employment gap and a single 3 month job on your resume.

• Upvote 1

You are very fortunate because many of the great PAs on this forum have given you sound advice and in a manner that both educated you and served as professional education. I retired last year but spent more than forty years making the templates, following procedure and learning every new guideline or procedure because I studied both medicine and my specialty every day of my life as a PA. As a retired clinician I have not changed that habit just to be informed and to protect myself and my family.

Of course, I would suggest you resign rather than be fired as it looks better on your next job application if word gets out to your community and you mentioned at least four times that this was a specialty where you had little interest. Also remember that anything you place on the internet can be searched by an expert legal team and when you are unfortunate enough to have litigation, this can bite you in the backside.

This is a great profession with many thrills and opportunities to enhance lives but you must constantly prepare and learn and love your job.

Sorry you are having to go through this...it is, unfortunately, part of the growing/learning process.  I have found in my 23 years of being a PA to listen to the tiny voice in your gut.  It is their for a reason.  If you feel you want to learn orthopedic and have a passion for it...then improve skills and read, study, read some more and ask questions on what you read to your sp...he should then see you are trying.  But, from your previous/first post, I do not feel the this specialty is where your heart is.  Find where your heart is.....then follow it.  If you find your forte, you'll never feel that you worked a day in your life if it is something you have passion and love doing.  If orthopedic is not your forte, take this time to apply to other jobs.  Believe in yourself....you just gotta find your passion and place.  I am a person of great faith and I know when I lean into that faith, the right door will open.  No job is ever worth going to bed sick at night over....been there, done that!  Prayers and good luck to you.  You'll end up where you are suppose to be....I truly believe that😊👍

On 10/21/2020 at 9:55 PM, nsvalsad said:

nsvalsad said:

1) "He's older and set in his own way".

2) "After he had the talk with me, he went and told the office manager on how he wanted me to improve. He told her what he expects from me. I found that out when I went to speak to the manager regarding something else. Then later on, when I tried to have the detailed discussion with my SP..he didn't mention how he expects me to improve like how he told the manager. I was just a little confused like shouldn't you tell me in private what expectations you have from me and how I should improve instead of having the manager relay that information".

3) "During our conversation, he just kept saying I don't know how to help you..I can't pin this as you being a new grad. He said you have the remaining days of your 90-day probation to turn things around and gain my trust. Also, why did he wait 1.5-months into work to mention if I'm not meeting expectations? I wish he has mentioned it a little earlier on. Now, it just feels like I reached the last straw already (due to the DVT being the major setback).".       

1) He might be one of those older surgeons who just doesn't have inherent respect for PAs. They're out there.

2) This is crazy-making. If he's telling one person what he expects of you, and tells you something different, this is a lose-lose situation. You are being set up to fail, and there isn't anything you can do to change that. 

3) Maya Angelou once famously said, "when someone tells you who they are, believe them". He is telling you he is someone who doesn't know how (read, "doesn't want to make the effort") to help you. Believe him. He's not going to help you. He's either too busy, too lazy, too mean-spirited or truly doesn't know how - but he's not going to help you.

This is more about him than you. Get out before you start believing it's about you. As ^^Grover said^^, use this probation time to find another job and GET. OUT. Also as he said, ortho may not be for you. It wasn't for me! Not every specialty is a great fit, and you'll know it when you're in a good fit bc it will energize - not drain - you. I mean, you will certainly feel tired at times, but not emotionally drained and full of dread and fear. You will (mostly) feel happy and excited to be at work!

You are in a toxic work environment. This experience will help you to have that on your radar for the future.

Edited by kittryn
  • Upvote 1

On 10/31/2020 at 10:59 AM, Grover said:

Sorry you are having to go through this...it is, unfortunately, part of the growing/learning process.  I have found in my 23 years of being a PA to listen to the tiny voice in your gut.  It is their for a reason.  If you feel you want to learn orthopedic and have a passion for it...then improve skills and read, study, read some more and ask questions on what you read to your sp...he should then see you are trying.  But, from your previous/first post, I do not feel the this specialty is where your heart is.  Find where your heart is.....then follow it.  If you find your forte, you'll never feel that you worked a day in your life if it is something you have passion and love doing.  If orthopedic is not your forte, take this time to apply to other jobs.  Believe in yourself....you just gotta find your passion and place.  I am a person of great faith and I know when I lean into that faith, the right door will open.  No job is ever worth going to bed sick at night over....been there, done that!  Prayers and good luck to you.  You'll end up where you are suppose to be....I truly believe that😊👍

I know Ortho isn't where my heart lies. Its just been tough finding a job during current times so I took the Ortho job as something to get my foot in the door. I am have been applying like crazy just to increase my chances of finding something else to try. My heart lies in CV/CT surgery but those willing to train new grads are so hard to come by. I also believe in faith and having been praying for some guidance through this situation. I really do appreciate your advice! Its very kind of you.  

On 10/31/2020 at 1:21 PM, kittryn said:

1) He might be one of those older surgeons who just doesn't have inherent respect for PAs. They're out there.

2) This is crazy-making. If he's telling one person what he expects of you, and tells you something different, this is a lose-lose situation. You are being set up to fail, and there isn't anything you can do to change that. 

3) Maya Angelou once famously said, "when someone tells you who they are, believe them". He is telling you he is someone who doesn't know how (read, "doesn't want to make the effort") to help you. Believe him. He's not going to help you. He's either too busy, too lazy, too mean-spirited or truly doesn't know how - but he's not going to help you.

This is more about him than you. Get out before you start believing it's about you. As ^^Grover said^^, use this probation time to find another job and GET. OUT. Also as he said, ortho may not be for you. It wasn't for me! Not every specialty is a great fit, and you'll know it when you're in a good fit bc it will energize - not drain - you. I mean, you will certainly feel tired at times, but not emotionally drained and full of dread and fear. You will (mostly) feel happy and excited to be at work!

You are in a toxic work environment. This experience will help you to have that on your radar for the future.

Yes Ortho is not for me (at least not at this current location). Maybe if I had a different mentor whom I wasn't afraid of asking questions for the fear of being yelled at or made to feel stupid..then I might actually grow an interest. I have been applying but such little response. Its very frustrating. And I agree with you that I dread going into work on clinic days because I know I'll be with him all day long with many opportunities for him to yell at me or for me to do things wrong. I should be excited to work but I just don't get that feeling. The rest of the staff is great and supportive but my main job is work with my collaborating physician.   

I read the initial post and could not help but have a little empathy for this novice PA. All too often we shoot our wounded instead of being good medics and stopping to compress the wound and remove them from harms way. Every one of us has made medical errors and exercised poor judgment so on a personal level I was wondering how I could give good advice in this situation. This was the springboard for the article that I wrote this month on Chronic guilt. Let's hope that the lessons learned on the journey prevent future hardships.

On 10/22/2020 at 9:45 PM, Reality Check 2 said:

We have a new grad NP straight from our nursing pool who thinks she knows it all and rebuffs any attempt at mentoring. She is a 5 yr RN plus a short degree with lax clinical.  She is a problem that we will have to deal with and I hope she doesn’t hurt anyone. 

Learn every single day. Never stop asking questions.

Medicine is lifelong education.

Ugh. Seriously dangerous. 

we just fired a 15 yr NP after 3 weeks.  Very very weak clinically.  And would not take criticism/guidance from myself or the doc.   Kept trying to correct us, even on things like billing issues where she was 100% verifiably wrong.  

learn learn learn. Keep open mind.   Everyone has something to teach us.  

• Like 1

On 11/8/2020 at 6:08 AM, ventana said:

Ugh. Seriously dangerous. 

we just fired a 15 yr NP after 3 weeks.  Very very weak clinically.  And would not take criticism/guidance from myself or the doc.   Kept trying to correct us, even on things like billing issues where she was 100% verifiably wrong.  

learn learn learn. Keep open mind.   Everyone has something to teach us.  

If I had you as my co-worker, I would be asking you lots of questions (because you seem like you would not minding teaching a newbie). It sucks that the NP didn't take advantage of such a valuable opportunity. 

8 hours ago, nsvalsad said:

Yes, I would totally apply for it. But I have not come across any. If I get the proper training then I would feel more capable & confident. 

There are several across the country. If you have not come across any then you aren't looking. Go to APPAP.org there are 4 listed there. 

Edited by bike mike
  • Like 1

On 11/6/2020 at 12:59 PM, nsvalsad said:

And I agree with you that I dread going into work on clinic days because I know I'll be with him all day long with many opportunities for him to yell at me or for me to do things wrong.

I will say one more thing: you need to find your power and take it with you to work. That means get clear on reality (this is about him not you) and operate out of that base all day long. Remind yourself frequently that you have worth, you are educated, you are showing up for work every day despite a very difficult situation and trying your best, you are interested and willing to learn. Keep that in your heart and you will be less likely to knocked around by more powerful personalities.