What the Trump administration has done to change the health care system

1. Expanded virtual medicine by allowing Medicare patients to use telehealth, with over 9 million telehealth visits by June.

2. Working on IRS rule that would allow HRAs to pay for direct primary care.

3. People who use HSAs are bow exempt from high-deductible requirements for 13 chronic conditions.

4. Expanding Medicare Advantage, and encouraging Special Needs Plans for specialization of chronic conditions.

5. Made it easier to get non-ACA approved plans such as short term plans for people who need temporary coverage, and expanding that from 3 months back to 12 months.  By allowing back-to-back 12 month policies, patients can have greater choice in insurance plans in areas that have lost insurance options due to the ACA.

6. Lower insurance costs in 6 states (plus DC), but still going up in 44.

7. Price transparency

8. Allowing people to use  HRA money to buy their own insurance.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/10/what-trump-has-done-to-change-the-health-care-system-and-how-that-has-helped-battle-covid-19/

Of course,  none of this fixes the inherent problem with our healthcare system, which is the need to ration care.

Edited by Boatswain2PA
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Maybe someone will come in and type in all caps, bold font, and big letters!  I suspect two people will downvote it, one will leave a nasty remark that wont be read by me because I have blocked them.  

Or better yet, we can realize that we have more in common with each other than our differences, and we can reduce the hatred for those who have different thoughts.

You know...like diversity or something?

Edited by Boatswain2PA
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, Boatswain2PA said:

Maybe someone will come in and type in all caps, bold font, and big letters!  I suspect two people will downvote it, one will leave a nasty remark that wont be read by me because I have blocked them.  

Or better yet, we can realize that we have more in common with each other than our differences, and we can reduce the hatred for those who have different thoughts.

You know...like diversity or something?

NEVER! I view my political beliefs the same way I view my sports teams, the entirety of my identity and that is completely healthy and in no way concerning. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, UGoLong said:

Don't forget fighting to end Obamacare without an alternative in the pipeline...after 10 years...

I think getting the ACA overturned would likely just punt things back to the states.  I agree the Republicans have done a terrible job of explaining what they want to replace Obamacare with.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ANESMCR said:

And another troll/baiting thread by boats. Who’s going to put in the work, effort, and energy to respond without making boats look like a victim of alternative facts again? Looking forward to it. 

Seriously you cannot see it can you. You are being a troll by this comment. If you don't have anything to add (positive or negative) then shut up. These are FACTS and from a accredited sources most everyone agrees on. Just because YOU do not like someone does not mean they have not done good things. Expanding your mind would be great for the entire country and for our profession. 

Edited by camoman1234
spelling
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

Quick perusal of this.

1st - Trump has implemented the public charge denial of folks coming in, forcing immigrants to be able to care for themselves instead of coming here and getting on Medicaid. 

2 - This says much if this is because of the individual mandate.  So we have fewer with insurance because we are not FORCING them to buy something that they cannot afford and wont use (because of high deductible).

I'm kinda ok with both of those reasons.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, camoman1234 said:

Seriously you cannot see it can you. You are being a troll by this comment. If you don't have anything to add (positive or negative) then shut up. These are FACTS and from a accredited sources most everyone agrees on. Just because YOU do not like someone does not mean that have not done good things. Expanding your mind would be great for the entire country and for our profession. 

Like I said. I’m looking forward to the facts from the people that care to sit down and go back and forth. I’m admittedly not going to be the one to energize it. To no avail have either of you absorbed any amount of information you have been provided in multiple threads. Yes they are facts, I agree. However conveniently left out everything else including some negative results of said facts. Your last sentence is classic gaslighting. Not falling for it. Your history is a sufficient bibliography.

• Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, Boatswain2PA said:

Quick perusal of this.

1st - Trump has implemented the public charge denial of folks coming in, forcing immigrants to be able to care for themselves instead of coming here and getting on Medicaid. 

Whether or not folks get into the country is a separate issue. As a matter of public health, once they are here you need to treat them to prevent the spread of disease to the rest of the population. 

"I'm not treating your XDR-TB/HIV/Ebola/Covid/Influenza because you were not born here" is not good public health policy. Think about it. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

Truthfully, I no longer know what to think of healthcare policy in the country. There is no middle ground news that will report the whole picture anymore to allow people to develop an informed opinion. Leftists and Rightists will cherry pick whatever stats support their pre-determined worldview and ignore all else. The news today is disgusting opinion hit pieces on both sides. I'm stuck reading overseas news most of the time trying to figure out what is going on. 

Did more people get insurance under the ACA? Absolutely. Were some people subject to financial penalties that made their situation worse? Absolutely. Was there an apparent false bill of goods with the "you can keep you plan and doctor" bit? For some, apparently. Was this willful deception or stupidity? I don't know. 

In the big picture is our society better off today? No clue. Is there a better way of doing things? God, I hope so. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

10 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

Whether or not folks get into the country is a separate issue. As a matter of public health, once they are here you need to treat them to prevent the spread of disease to the rest of the population. 

"I'm not treating your XDR-TB/HIV/Ebola/Covid/Influenza because you were not born here" is not good public health policy. Think about it. 

How about the economics of non-contagious problems? I have a buddy that does neurosurgery at a big urban tertiary center. A few times a year a Central American shows up with a tumor that is treated and then they skate back home leaving us on the hook for the bill. Granted there is a payback in that it allows residents and fellows a means to practice their technique, but this does get expensive. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

I agree.  However if we can have a policy the reduced the number of those folks (meaning infected folks, so some of you can spare calling me a racist) coming into the country is worth something.

• Like 1

Why does there have to be a time limit to COBRA?  Once you qualify for health insurance with an employer you could have the option to continue it indefinitely as long as the former employer stays with the same insurer.  That OOP cost doesn't reflect on the former employer because you're covering the full cost.  It could even be a HDCP only option if the employer offered one as an option.  It by default becomes a catastrophic plan if one doesn't contribute to the HSA.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, CJAdmission said:

How about the economics of non-contagious problems? I have a buddy that does neurosurgery at a big urban tertiary center. A few times a year a Central American shows up with a tumor that is treated and then they skate back home leaving us on the hook for the bill. Granted there is a payback in that it allows residents and fellows a means to practice their technique, but this does get expensive. 

agree that this is a more complicated issue. I don't know the answer to this one. You make good points about training opportunities vs actual cost. 

34 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

Can we as a country afford it? 

6 minutes ago, camoman1234 said:

Can we as a country afford it? 

communicable disease is a must treat issue. Pay a little now or a lot later. Don't treat an immigrant with gonorrhea, and guess what, it spreads through the population. ditto TB, HIV, Covid, Influenza, etc. As above, non-communicable diseases are a gray area. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, camoman1234 said:

You are being a troll by this comment. If you don't have anything to add (positive or negative) then shut up.

The moderators allow him to remain despite his only purpose in life seemingly is to spew hate after every post I make.  For some reason he gives me free rent in his vacuous head.

He is about as annoying as gnat.  Best to just ignore him.

Edited by Boatswain2PA
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Boatswain2PA said:

Or more like Venezuela.  The final straw with the fall Venezuela was court packing which allowed the president virtually unlimited powers.

The situation in Venezuela is a little sobering. That country should be filthy rich from petroleum - like Middle Eastern Kingdom rich. And they are drinking rainwater and eating zoo animals. 

If we amend our Constitution, I'd like to see a requirement that the Senate and the Presidency must be controlled by different parties. Force all these jerks to compromise and work together. 

• ventana locked, unlocked and locked this topic