Salary/Contract Question for job offer

Hi everyone-

I need your advice/perspective. I received a call today for a job I had applied for and the physician is offering the position. We talked about a few things briefly over the phone and conversation came about salary. He mentioned that he was looking to pay $20-$40 per hour (just using numbers, not actual pay lol ). On the original job position it said 10-40 per hour.

He asked how much I was making at my current hourly pay and I mentioned $25 and that was that and continued staring to talk about other things. He then asked when I would be able to start etc and how him and his team were looking forward to my addition. He said that they interviewed several candidates but that I really stood out. He said they were going to start working at n a contract and he would then send it to me and see what I thought about it.

I am going to email him in the next two days to let him know of a couple things we talked about. These are my questions: Should I mention to him that I am looking to get paid between $30-$40 per hour or should I wait to see what the contract says?

At my current job I am due for my annual review in the next couple days which will bring my salary up from what I told him, so Gould I mention in this email that I am looking to get paid in the 30-40 range as I will received an increase in my annual review? Or should I simply wait and see how much he offers in the contract and then mention if they can increase the hourly pay if it’s not what I am looking for? I also am bilingual (Spanish) and it would be a benefit for the practice.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Administrator

It would help to know what the job and area of the country are, so we could give you better advice.  I get paid $31/hour for teaching EMT refresher training when I'm not doing PA work, so the numbers you're talking about seem quite low for any sort of a provider position, which your username implies that you are.

You mentioned $25, so the offer is probably going to come in as less over $25 as the HR person thinks they can get away with paying you.  If you do get a raise where you are, that'll be a good reason to counter if you are OK with the possibility of staying there.

I am in California, Central area and is internal medicine (outpatient).

The dollar amount I said is just figurative with the range of $20, example $20-40.

Let’s change this number to 50-70 and me currently making 55 as an example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a balancing act trying to negotiate better pay. Sometimes it is an instant deal breaker. Sometimes you can work out a better deal. It varies employer to employer to employer. Private groups and practices have more wiggle room than most large institutions.

I have found it is important not to come off like you are trying to squeeze every drop out of the orange but, rather, having a realistic and fair discussion about salary and benefits. Having good numbers for the position you are applying for is more important than comparing it to your current salary which may not be relevant. I took a 30k pay cut from my last job to this one but they were totally different jobs

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, narcan said:

Is that the going rate for outpatient medicine in California? How is minimum wage $15/hr, but you're practicing medicine for $25/hr? How much do nurses make there? 

No it is not. I work in central CA and make considerably more than that. Regarding nurse salaries in CA, they tend to be pretty high due to the strong nurse union here. Most ICU nurses make well north of $100k 

On 10/16/2020 at 6:52 AM, sas5814 said:

It is a balancing act trying to negotiate better pay. Sometimes it is an instant deal breaker. Sometimes you can work out a better deal. It varies employer to employer to employer. Private groups and practices have more wiggle room than most large institutions.

I have found it is important not to come off like you are trying to squeeze every drop out of the orange but, rather, having a realistic and fair discussion about salary and benefits. Having good numbers for the position you are applying for is more important than comparing it to your current salary which may not be relevant. I took a 30k pay cut from my last job to this one but they were totally different jobs

Agree with the above. 

OP, since you already started the negotiation by revealing your current pay rate, I would wait until he comes back with his offer. If the offer comes in lower, you can then respond with a counter offer. I wouldn't use your current rate or potential raise as a main negotiation point unless the jobs are very similar; negotiate for what the position is and why you are wanting closer to "$30-40" for said position. Also, I recommend that you don't use a range. Just state your rate and negotiate from there. Learned that from this forum 👌

• Like 1

I would wait for the contract. See what the benefits are and what their offer is. Think of a number now that it would take to get you to leave (benefits being equal). If the number they say does not meet it, negotiate. Let them know that you just had your annual review bringing you up to 58/hour and that you would love to work for them but it would take 65/hour to get you to leave since you are happy in your current position.

On 10/16/2020 at 6:52 AM, sas5814 said:

agree. also, don't accept ridiculous offers. My most recent per diem job offered me(what I thought of as) an insulting rate of pay. I sent them a polite letter saying I really enjoyed my interview, pointed out again my relevant experience and mentioned that I am the only EM CAQ certified PA in the state and had over 30 years of EM experience, etc and they sent me a new offer $18/hr higher(still lower than other jobs, but close), which I accepted. I was polite. I actually said " is there any wiggle room on that hourly rate? At X facility I make this and at Y facility I make this. Thanks". a big part of this is how desperate they are. They had already interviewed several folks they didn't like. They liked me. It was April and covid was rearing its ugly head, and no one wanted to drive 2 hrs from the nearest major metro area to work there a few times/month. They emergency credentialed me and I was working shifts there the weekend after my interview.