Job market in southern CA

Hi!  I am currently in my fourth week of PA school and having some serious doubts as to what I am getting myself into.  

I am worried for several of the following reasons:  that with the impact of covid 19 will take years to recover jobs (even healthcare), the amount of new PAs and NPs being pumped out of schools will cause more competition, and this study I read from the Bureau of Health Workforce...basically stating that the market will be saturated for PA's by 2025...

Im worried, it'll be very hard to find work in southern Ca after school and I see some new PAs taking like, 8 months to a year to find a job.. I worry this will only get worse in the next few years when I graduate in 2022!!  I am not able to relocate out of state, nor can leave the metropolitan area around LA.

I have a career to fall back on, if I decide to walk away from PA school making 60-70k. 

I know no one can 100% say what will happen in the future.. but I am concerned to the point of walking away all-together.  Any input or advice would be appreciated. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2020 at 2:59 PM, PApreemie said:

Hi!  I am currently in my fourth week of PA school and having some serious doubts as to what I am getting myself into.  

I am worried for several of the following reasons:  that with the impact of covid 19 will take years to recover jobs (even healthcare), the amount of new PAs and NPs being pumped out of schools will cause more competition, and this study I read from the Bureau of Health Workforce...basically stating that the market will be saturated for PA's by 2025...

Im worried, it'll be very hard to find work in southern Ca after school and I see some new PAs taking like, 8 months to a year to find a job.. I worry this will only get worse in the next few years when I graduate in 2022!!  I am not able to relocate out of state, nor can leave the metropolitan area around LA.

I have a career to fall back on, if I decide to walk away from PA school making 60-70k. 

I know no one can 100% say what will happen in the future.. but I am concerned to the point of walking away all-together.  Any input or advice would be appreciated. 

So let me be clear here....there is a big difference between being able to "find a job" vs "finding a good job".  Or to put it another way, a job that doesn't make you want to blow your brains out at the end of a shift....

Edited by Cideous

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately right now for PA's There is more supply than demand, this is due for many reasons number 1. greed  from Universities and schools to make massive amount of money producing  bad quality PA's by the thousands and there are no new jobs being created out there, they are the same all jobs and we are all being just being recycle from job to job.  2. The huge wave of growing NP's coming out with Dr's  degree competing exactlly for the same jobs without the liability of pa's because they work independently. 3. The lack of responsibility from our Board  NCCPA, given thousands of PA's licensing right and left every year, receving millions in licensing fees from all the poor PA's out there that have a very hard time finding a job in a very weak job market. There carreer was very promising yrs ago 20-30 yrs ago but not anymore. I don't think it will   be sustainable in time if we cont producing PA's and NP at the rate we are, because there is already way more supply than demand. And guess who losses only us, because the school, board, Dr's , hospitals, clinics etc cont. making money. 

• Upvote 2