Urgent Care offer....am I being too picky?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/13/2020 at 4:27 PM, Grover said:

But, $55/hr and I pay full for all benefits.  They pay malpractice and liscence fee but not even CME'....horrible....

Grover, is this a 1099 position?

I urge all PAs in the most strenuous terms to NOT accept 1099-status jobs. Not only do you get no benefits, but you pay ALL of your taxes, including ALL of the payroll tax for medicare/SS. That means you're paying 12-14% payroll tax rather than the 6-7% you pay for same in a W2 job, where employer pays the other half. Plus, as a 1099 worker, you have to file estimated taxes QUARTERLY - what a pain!

Another "worst thing about PAs working as 1099 contractors" is that PAs working for a health care agency don't even match the definition of a 1099 contractor. Look up your state's AG definition of a 1099 - the job has to meet all 3 prongs of the definition to qualify as a 1099. The first prong (below) -  how many PAs are free from the control & direction of their employers? The second of those prongs is that "the service performed is outside the usual course of the business of the employer". I don't know how a PA working for a healthcare agency or hospital or private practice can be considered performing a service outside the usual course of the business of the employer" - caring for sick patients is what healthcare agencies/hospitals/private practices are FOR, and is what PAs DO!! We do not get hired to paint fences on the hospital grounds (correct 1099 status) - we take care of patients, which is the raison d'etre of hospitals/healthcare agencies/private practices!

Here's the MA definition; it's very similar in other states and on the federal level:

MGL c.149, § 148B Classification standard for independent contractors in Mass. Includes the 3 prong test:

(1) the individual is free from control and direction in connection with the performance of the service, both under his contract for the performance of service and in fact; and

(2) the service is performed outside the usual course of the business of the employer; and,

(3) the individual is customarily engaged in an independently established trade, occupation, profession or business of the same nature as that involved in the service performed.

Don't be duped. Accepting 1099 jobs waters down pay dramatically for PAs bc employers neither pay benefits nor payroll taxes.

Edited by kittryn