Get a new job vs making it work?

Hello everyone,

I graduated on Dec 2019. Currently on a Pulmonology solo practitioner office for about 7 months now. I am located in Florida. I see 19-24 Pts in one day. We have hallf days on friday, so I thought that was a plus. I don't receive call at night. We have a out 5 holidays, with no other benefits, he said I quilified for 401 K after a year. Anyhow,  I handle most of the patients already in the office. My practitioner wants for me to work weekends, rotating every other weekend, without extra compensation at the hospital. I don't know how to judge what is being asked. When I looked at the AAPA salary report , most PAs dont take call, and work and average of 38-40 hour weeks. I think I am making my money with the current stats. 

What is normal, regarding working the weekends for PAs? 

How many weekends per month should be a realistic expectation?

I am crazy to ask for time off during the week when I cover for the hospital?

Thank you

1 hour ago, papinca said:

Hello everyone,

I graduated on Dec 2019. Currently on a Pulmonology solo practitioner office for about 7 months now. I am located in Florida. I see 19-24 Pts in one day. We have hallf days on friday, so I thought that was a plus. I don't receive call at night. We have a out 5 holidays, with no other benefits, he said I quilified for 401 K after a year. Anyhow,  I handle most of the patients already in the office. My practitioner wants for me to work weekends, rotating every other weekend, without extra compensation at the hospital. I don't know how to judge what is being asked. When I looked at the AAPA salary report , most PAs dont take call, and work and average of 38-40 hour weeks. I think I am making my money with the current stats. 

What is normal, regarding working the weekends for PAs? 

How many weekends per month should be a realistic expectation?

I am crazy to ask for time off during the week when I cover for the hospital?

Thank you

Ummmm unless you're getting amazing compensation this structure is completely ridiculous.

You either need a serious bump in compensation or additional time off during the week you pull weekends. You're losing time with your family, friends and loved ones. You're losing time with yourself. You're losing a LOT.

Time spent on call should also be compensated or at least delineated in the contract.

Remember, this solo practitioner is reaping all the benefits from you being on call and covering those weekends. He/She is getting compensated for your time, why aren't you?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Yup..you are being taken advantage of. For this work and hours and absence of benefits in a specialty you should be making north of 200k. Call= more pay. Weekends = more pay.

Time is the single most valuable thing you have. He/she is clearly taking away yours so he/she can have more time and money.