PA license/DEA/Privileges CA

Hi everyone,

I am planning on taking my PANCE August 21st/28th and have a job offer at a hospital in CA and they want us to work as soon as we get the DEA#.

I know someone in previous post said its takes approx. 2 weeks or longer. What about the license? All my paperwork is turned in for the PA license--they will process it once I pass the exam. How long does that take? And for those who worked at a hospital--how long did it take to get the privileges? The hospital admin. said they will try to get all the paperwork going so privileges don't take long..but I don't know if that is even possible till I pass?

Please advise.

I want to have a good estimate waiting time for all the process so I don't freak out waiting and possibly go out of the country after everything is turned in to see family members I havent seen in 14 years! =)

Thank youu!

Hi everyone,

I am planning on taking my PANCE August 21st/28th and have a job offer at a hospital in CA and they want us to work as soon as we get the DEA#.

I know someone in previous post said its takes approx. 2 weeks or longer. What about the license?

IF everything was turned in correctly it is about a week or less. Took my PANCE on a monday I think and had my CA license that friday. DEA took about a week at the most 2.

All my paperwork is turned in for the PA license--they will process it once I pass the exam. How long does that take? And for those who worked at a hospital--how long did it take to get the privileges? The hospital admin. said they will try to get all the paperwork going so privileges don't take long..but I don't know if that is even possible till I pass?

Depends on the hospital, i had colleagues that it took a month some took 3 months. I work in a clinic so I am not very well versed in inpatient stuff though.

Please advise.

I want to have a good estimate waiting time for all the process so I don't freak out waiting and possibly go out of the country after everything is turned in to see family members I havent seen in 14 years! =)

Thank youu!

Good luck on your PANCE.

Thanks for the reply!..one more question...So in order to get the DEA# we have to take the substance controlled class correct? And we can apply after we take the class?

Anyone know where I can find that information?? thanks! =)

No you can get your DEA sans the class but you MUST get PATIENT SPECIFIC APPROVAL from your SP on EVERY Schedule drug you order. The class addends your DSA to reflect that you finished the class and are qualified to order schedule drugs without specific authority. How the specific authority is enforced is beyond me....I just took the first class available after graduation. They offer it February and October IIRC...The next one is in October during the CAPA in Palm Springs event.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw this thread so I thought it was a good place to post my question. I just graduated in May and now have my license number. Can I get a DEA number now or do I have to wait & use my employer's address? I am still looking for a job. At the DEA website it says that if you are just prescribing but not storing, dispensing or administering then you don't need a DEA number for each separate location. Thank you.

Archived