STRESSFUL NEW JOB

I WANT TO SHARE MY EXPERIENCE WITH ALL OF YOU, I RECENTLY QUIT MY JOB OF 10 YRS IN FAMILY PRACTICE TO JOIN AN INTERNAL MEDICINE  SOLO PRACTICE NEAR MY HOME , I HAVE BEEN THERE FOR ONLY 1WEEK AND IT HAS BEEN THE MOST STRESSFUL EXPERIENCE. NUMBER ONE IT TAKES A WHILE TO LEARN A NEW EMS, THE PATIENTS HAVE TO FILL OUT 30PAGES BEFORE THEY SEE ME IN THE WAITING ROOM, MOST OF THEM CAN'T COMPLETE ALL THE PAPER WORK, THE DR. EXPECT ME TO SEE EACH PT IN 15MIN, SHE DOESN'T GIVE ME A PERMANENT MA TO WORK WITH ME BECAUSE SHE IS SHORT OF STAFF, THE MA I HAVE FOR THE DAY IS NOT RELIABLE (FOR ME ONLY ) BECAUSE SHE ALSO HAS TO DO OTHER THINGS FOR THE OFFICE, SOMETIMES I AM EXPECTED TO VITAL THE PT'S  , TAKE THEM TO THE ROOM AND START MY ASSESSMENT. MOST OF THIS PT ARE TAKING ABOUT 20 MEDICATIONS EACH, AND I AM EXPECTED TO HAVE AT LEAST 4 -10 WORK UP DXS , A GOOD ASSESSMENT OF ABOUT 4-10 DX AND A PLAN / TX THAT MUST INCLUDE A TX PLAN FOR EACH OF THEM USUALLY 4-10,iT TAKES TONS OF TIME TO WRITE WHILE TRYING TO UNDERSTAND THE PT'S CO/HX /ETC, PLUS REFILLS OF ALL 20 MEDICATIONS AND PHYSICAL CO THE PT PRESENT WITH. I ONLY SEE 10 PTS A DAY SO FAR, SHE ALREADY TOLD ME I AM NOT QUIET WHERE SHE WOULD WANT ME TO BE BECAUSE SHE EXPECTS ME TO SEE AT LEAST 14-20 PTS. I FEEL STRESS OUT ALREADY, I AM TAKING HOME LOTS OF PAPER WORK AND I HAVE TO WORK AT HOME AFTER MY REGULAR HRS. 2-3 MORE HRS AT HOME TO COMPLETE MY NOTES  WITHOUT BEING COMPENSATED , AND EVEN WHEN I AM DONE , IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH STILL AND I HAD TO CORRECT THEM.  I FEEL I AM AFRAID THIS WON'T CHANGE AS TIME PASSES, AND I WILL BE WORKING FOR FREE ON AN ONGOING BASIS. ALSO THE DR. HAS A BAD ATTITUTE. I AM SUPPOSED TO LEAVE AT 5PM, HOWEVER SHE ALWAYS CALL ME TO TALK TO HER AFTER BUSINESS HRS AND SHE HOLD ME IN HER OFFICE 1MORE HR TO TALK ABOUT IF I HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, BUT WITHOUT COMPENSATION BECAUSE SHE ONLY PAYS 8HRS, ITS BEEN ONLY 1WK AND I FEEL EXHAUSTED, I ALSO WAS NOT GIVEN A TRAINING AT ALL AND I AM LEARNING ON MY OWN THE NEW SYSTEM ETC. ....

11 hours ago, Rose66 said:

I WANT TO SHARE MY EXPERIENCE WITH ALL OF YOU, I RECENTLY QUIT MY JOB OF 10 YRS IN FAMILY PRACTICE TO JOIN AN INTERNAL MEDICINE  SOLO PRACTICE NEAR MY HOME , I HAVE BEEN THERE FOR ONLY 1WEEK AND IT HAS BEEN THE MOST STRESSFUL EXPERIENCE. NUMBER ONE IT TAKES A WHILE TO LEARN A NEW EMS, THE PATIENTS HAVE TO FILL OUT 30PAGES BEFORE THEY SEE ME IN THE WAITING ROOM, MOST OF THEM CAN'T COMPLETE ALL THE PAPER WORK, THE DR. EXPECT ME TO SEE EACH PT IN 15MIN, SHE DOESN'T GIVE ME A PERMANENT MA TO WORK WITH ME BECAUSE SHE IS SHORT OF STAFF, THE MA I HAVE FOR THE DAY IS NOT RELIABLE (FOR ME ONLY ) BECAUSE SHE ALSO HAS TO DO OTHER THINGS FOR THE OFFICE, SOMETIMES I AM EXPECTED TO VITAL THE PT'S  , TAKE THEM TO THE ROOM AND START MY ASSESSMENT. MOST OF THIS PT ARE TAKING ABOUT 20 MEDICATIONS EACH, AND I AM EXPECTED TO HAVE AT LEAST 4 -10 WORK UP DXS , A GOOD ASSESSMENT OF ABOUT 4-10 DX AND A PLAN / TX THAT MUST INCLUDE A TX PLAN FOR EACH OF THEM USUALLY 4-10,iT TAKES TONS OF TIME TO WRITE WHILE TRYING TO UNDERSTAND THE PT'S CO/HX /ETC, PLUS REFILLS OF ALL 20 MEDICATIONS AND PHYSICAL CO THE PT PRESENT WITH. I ONLY SEE 10 PTS A DAY SO FAR, SHE ALREADY TOLD ME I AM NOT QUIET WHERE SHE WOULD WANT ME TO BE BECAUSE SHE EXPECTS ME TO SEE AT LEAST 14-20 PTS. I FEEL STRESS OUT ALREADY, I AM TAKING HOME LOTS OF PAPER WORK AND I HAVE TO WORK AT HOME AFTER MY REGULAR HRS. 2-3 MORE HRS AT HOME TO COMPLETE MY NOTES  WITHOUT BEING COMPENSATED , AND EVEN WHEN I AM DONE , IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH STILL AND I HAD TO CORRECT THEM.  I FEEL I AM AFRAID THIS WON'T CHANGE AS TIME PASSES, AND I WILL BE WORKING FOR FREE ON AN ONGOING BASIS. ALSO THE DR. HAS A BAD ATTITUTE. I AM SUPPOSED TO LEAVE AT 5PM, HOWEVER SHE ALWAYS CALL ME TO TALK TO HER AFTER BUSINESS HRS AND SHE HOLD ME IN HER OFFICE 1MORE HR TO TALK ABOUT IF I HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, BUT WITHOUT COMPENSATION BECAUSE SHE ONLY PAYS 8HRS, ITS BEEN ONLY 1WK AND I FEEL EXHAUSTED, I ALSO WAS NOT GIVEN A TRAINING AT ALL AND I AM LEARNING ON MY OWN THE NEW SYSTEM ETC. ....

Gawd, what a nightmare. 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
33 minutes ago, dream2pa said:

Not 1955. But females are generally more catty towards other females and not to mention insecure . 

You know, since we don't expect people to identify by sex, the implication in the follow-up comment that you're female yourself changes the context of the original comment.  I know I don't usually keep track of such things, and I suspect based on his response to that original comment that Cideous hadn't been either.

Are you the first PA to be in the office?  Maybe she never had one before and just doesn't know there is some adjustment time when you start in a new office.  I would guess she thinks you've been a PA for 10 years and so you should be able to hit the ground running.  It is not realistic though.  It will take you several weeks to get the hang of how the office runs.  It would be realistic to see 10 patients per day and then gradually increase by 1-2 each week until your plateau out at her expectation.  You should have a straight forward talk with her about the reality of the situation......or run, but then you have to find a new job and that may be much more stressful.  

Wow. Only there a few weeks and so negative already.  

give it a try

clearly (and I mean clearly) defend your personal time.  You are not a partner or owner.  Work your time then leave.  Do not donate hours to her/his cause.  Just turn off your phone (get a separate number or something). 

solo practice can be great.  No bean counters and HR types telling you stupid things.  

but you are in the learning phase of a brand new job.  Be patient.  Tell the doc you have to many patients, I would suggest 50% booked for 2 months if learning EMR. 

stand your ground with a reasonable job expectations.  Define what you will and will not do now.  Do not kill you self to learn fast and produce, instead it might take a few patients leaving and running horribly late (you will need to tellftont desk a few hours before end of day that you will not be seeing everyone and they need to reschedule.  

overallyou just need to define a reasonable productivity measure. Something like 8-10 patients for a few months, then increasing to about 15-16 MAX.  That’s it.  

good luck. 

• Upvote 1

I left a solo family practice because the doc had no qualms about expecting 25 patients a day in 10 minute slots.

He believed volume = success. Screw quality or time to dictate.

It was nightmare.

And he was a candy man who wanted patients to "like him". 

I couldn't do it - and had I still been there when COVID hit - I wouldn't have a job. Or, more likely, he would have expected to keep doing things the same with no precautions and certainly no PPE and things would be ugly. 

He has gone thru a herd of NPs and a few PAs since I left 4 yrs ago. 

Government employment has its perks. 

Working to make numbers sucks - it is a reality, but it sucks.

Don't be a money mill or a medicare mill.

Be a PA and do good work - I think somewhere else. 

My old 2 cents

2 hours ago, Reality Check 2 said:

I left a solo family practice because the doc had no qualms about expecting 25 patients a day in 10 minute slots.

He believed volume = success. Screw quality or time to dictate.

It was nightmare.

And he was a candy man who wanted patients to "like him". 

I couldn't do it - and had I still been there when COVID hit - I wouldn't have a job. Or, more likely, he would have expected to keep doing things the same with no precautions and certainly no PPE and things would be ugly. 

He has gone thru a herd of NPs and a few PAs since I left 4 yrs ago. 

Government employment has its perks. 

Working to make numbers sucks - it is a reality, but it sucks.

Don't be a money mill or a medicare mill.

Be a PA and do good work - I think somewhere else. 

My old 2 cents

I second this exactly

I am now in a private practice that supports it providers, and I like it.... and 15-6 per day is it....