Not getting a job

I am posting here to get a different perspective and possibly some advice.

I graduated in 2018. I live in metro Detroit area. I started to apply around the time of completion/boards. I applied to almost all specialties except surgery and psych. I have a family, so I applied only within 25 to 30 miles of where I live. I got a few interviews. By the time I started my first job it was 10 months after passing boards. It was not fulfilling as I felt like I was only helping the doc out and there was no room for professional growth or learning. No training was provided. But I was grateful to be able to even have this job and used this opportunity to get used to EMR, be more efficient seeing/rounding on pts and and writing notes etc. I continued to search for jobs while working the part time job. Still same story...I did not get anywhere.

Fast forward to March 2020, I am 8 months into my first job and I get laid off. Since then, I am back to the same situation of not being able to land a job. Most places seem to ask for experience in that particular field. ( I got told by one of the major hospital systems here to come back after gaining 1 to 2 years experience in the field I applied.) I dont know where I can get this experience if no one seems to want to take a newbie.

I think my interview skills are fine. I got my resume checked by my school. I have been networking and trying to reach out to as many people I know. I am not sure what I am doing wrong or if I am missing something. Do you guys have any advice for me?

My last thing I thought of doing is handing out hard copy of my resume by personally going to offices. But I don't know if that would be considered an appropriate way.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Are your applications still restricted to 25-30 miles? Sounds like you are doing everything correctly minus applying across the country, which is unfortunately necessary and almost required at this point. People used to say certain specialities are pigeon holes circa 2018/2019. Now the entire career is basically a pigeon hole. 

Edited by ANESMCR
  • Upvote 1

I just graduated in august and found that dropping off a resume and cover letter in person was the only effective way to get interviews in my ideal location in south Florida. Before taking this step I had recruiters tell me to expand my search out of state and online app after online app denied due to no experience. Dress up and get the boots on the ground, it definitely works! Good luck. 

P.S. I just started my first job today 5 minutes from home. 

• Upvote 1

I live in Michigan...you need to expand your search area.  There are TONS of job openings in Michigan, but as basically a new graduate you need to expand your search area 2 years ago.  To be even more clear, Detroit today is actually one of the more sought after cities in the country.  You are competing with people who have years and years and years of experience, or others who aren't leaving their jobs.

Thank you for all your replies.
I have expanded my search to more than 30 miles, but cannot relocate entirely to a new state. I have tried contacting hospital HR/recruiters , all of them have responded saying I should apply online through their website.
Thanks for everyone's input. I never really thought it would be this competitive to find a job.

I just graduated in august and found that dropping off a resume and cover letter in person was the only effective way to get interviews in my ideal location in south Florida. Before taking this step I had recruiters tell me to expand my search out of state and online app after online app denied due to no experience. Dress up and get the boots on the ground, it definitely works! Good luck. 

Thanks. Will give this a try.

On 10/14/2020 at 5:21 PM, Roko561 said:

This. I have given this advice for years. Set a daily goal for dropping off Cvs. Its harder now that COVID in in full force because a lot of places restrict walk in traffic but it can be done.