Candidate selection question

I am a PA with one year of work experience in my field. I work in the inpatient setting and because of a toxic environment, I switched in the middle my one year contract to a different but related team who needed the coverage and would also be opening another position on that team. The hope was that if things went well, I would be the top candidate for the position and could start a new contract with them. 

Since I switched teams, I have flourished. I have an amazing relationship with the other APP, all of  the attendings, the techs and the nurses and I know that I am doing a great job at this position and I have come to really love it.  Unfortunately, even though I was wondering the process I still had to go through the interview process and apparently there was someone “more qualified” than me for the position?

It’s been hard for me because all the nurses and attendings are very upset by this as they want me to stay and feel I should have been the chosen candidate because I have been a perfect fit. However, the decision is made by the APP management team, and one of the prominent leaders of that majorly bullied me/discriminated against in my last position. It’s frustrating! I thought I had escaped it, but I guess I was wrong. 

Does anyone have any ideas or recourse? I really love what I am doing now. I can stay there until My contract runs up in a few months, but that will basically leave me to train the new person before I go. I have also been applying for other jobs but the market is so saturated that there’s 10 jobs available, I’ve applied for six of them and the other four are sketchy. The market is sO competitive here that it’s really not a good time to be looking for jobs. 

19 minutes ago, PhysicAsstinNY said:

I am a PA with one year of work experience in my field. I work in the inpatient setting and because of a toxic environment, I switched in the middle my one year contract to a different but related team who needed the coverage and would also be opening another position on that team. The hope was that if things went well, I would be the top candidate for the position and could start a new contract with them. 

Since I switched teams, I have flourished. I have an amazing relationship with the other APP, all of  the attendings, the techs and the nurses and I know that I am doing a great job at this position and I have come to really love it.  Unfortunately, even though I was wondering the process I still had to go through the interview process and apparently there was someone “more qualified” than me for the position?

It’s been hard for me because all the nurses and attendings are very upset by this as they want me to stay and feel I should have been the chosen candidate because I have been a perfect fit. However, the decision is made by the APP management team, and one of the prominent leaders of that majorly bullied me/discriminated against in my last position. It’s frustrating! I thought I had escaped it, but I guess I was wrong. 

Does anyone have any ideas or recourse? I really love what I am doing now. I can stay there until My contract runs up in a few months, but that will basically leave me to train the new person before I go. I have also been applying for other jobs but the market is so saturated that there’s 10 jobs available, I’ve applied for six of them and the other four are sketchy. The market is sO competitive here that it’s really not a good time to be looking for jobs. 

Unfortunately it sounds as if the other members of your team didn't have much input into the decision. If there was nothing on writing about you continuing on in that position then I doubt you have recourse. Could consider contacting an attorney but doubt the cost: benefit is there, could be wrong I suppose.

You may want to consider broadening your job search.

• Administrator

Wait until you meet the new person; until you meet and get to know them, you won't know what 'more qualified' means in this situation.  It may, in fact, mean more qualified and you can learn something from them.  It may mean that hiring them will meet more diversity goals than hiring you will.  You won't know unless you stick around.

• Upvote 1