Delayed Start Date

I wanted to pick the brain of some of the more experienced PAs regarding a delay in my employment start date.

I just recently graduated, passed the PANCE and obtained licensing.  I relocated (11 hours) to a new state with the anticipation of starting my new role this month (October) but I've been told my start date will now be pushed back to a later date in November.  The delay is related to when the board of directors will meet to approve my hospital credentials.  I've knocked out everything they've asked of me and I guess it was just an oversight on when the board would meet again.

As a natural pessimist I'm worried I've just uprooted my family and signed an expensive lease for a role that may disappear.  Obviously no one on here can tell me whether I will or will not have a job going forward.  However, I was curious if this sort of delay was common place or a red flag.

Thanks for any insight!

Edited by AshySlashy
Grammar

One way to test the firmness of your job offer would be to ask for a salary advance, citing the fact that you moved and just completed school and don't have savings.  If your employer is willing to do that, it would be a very strong sign that this is just a delay due to process issues.  Also, credentialing often has delays, so this is not at all unique to you.  Another option would be to ask if they will do temporary credentialing pending the next meeting.  Some facilities will do this.

• Like 1

As someone who does hiring, the credentialing process absolutely sucks. Most facilities only meet once a month and will not grand expediated credentialing (at least in my area). I hate having interviews, deciding on a great candidate and then HR and or the medical staff office telling us that start date is 6-8 weeks away. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just had something similar happen. Thankfully I didn't sign my lease until I had gotten my offer letter but ended up having to postpone my start date and move-in by two weeks. 

I was in the same boat thinking that possibly my position had disappeared and would have to resume the job search.

• 3 weeks later...