Tail coverage red flag?

I am leaving a burnout primary care job after 2 years for a fresh start at another primary care clinic. I'll be seeing many less patients per day and lower acuity.

I am ruminating over some details about malpractice for the new job. They cover me for claims made malpractice, but the tail isn't covered until I stay for at least 2 years. Is this typical? So basically if the job goes south I'll be paying a large amount for tail coverage to leave the organization. Thoughts on this? Is this a red flag? How much is tail coverage typically for primary care PAs?

On 10/3/2020 at 7:31 PM, GreenSea said:

I am leaving a burnout primary care job after 2 years for a fresh start at another primary care clinic. I'll be seeing many less patients per day and lower acuity.

I am ruminating over some details about malpractice for the new job. They cover me for claims made malpractice, but the tail isn't covered until I stay for at least 2 years. Is this typical? So basically if the job goes south I'll be paying a large amount for tail coverage to leave the organization. Thoughts on this? Is this a red flag? How much is tail coverage typically for primary care PAs?

You'd have to check with insurance companies, but if I recall correctly the bill is usually generated by doing something like charging 150% of whatever your final annual amount was. You annual amount usually goes up each year because as you see more patients there is more risk exposure. 

• Thanks 1