Patient Chart Access in EMR

Hi all,

I'm hoping several of you may have some insight into this topic. While I'd especially like to hear from others working in behavioral health, any knowledge you can share would be appreciated.

At any given time, who has access to YOUR notes in the EMR? I don't mean just seeing the patient encounter, but the actual "meat" of your note... In particular, I'm wondering how many non-providers or individuals outside of the practice could theoretically be able to access patient info directly from the EMR without needing a signed release from the patient. Billing staff? Admin? Insurance companies during audit? Pharmacy?

Additionally, with an EMR such as Epic that uses "break the glass" as a safeguard, who could reasonably access patient info with AND without setting off alarm bells?

Thanks for your help!

On a practical basis, any user on a facility's EMR can access the chart.  From what I've seen across multiple EMR's, that access will be logged.  As to whether anyone monitors those longs, I can't say and expect it depends upon the facility's policies.

Doing EM, I often "broke the glass" on a patient's chart to see past history on someone I was seeing or about to see.  I never received any communication indicating that anyone had any concerns.

From what I've seen, e.g. verbatim quotes of my notes usually in hospitalist's H&P's that were strangely similar to mine, I think that's a common practice.  This included notes from behavior medicine providers who saw patients I had admitted.  I also never got any feedback when I followed my patients' courses after admission.

If you're asking about what tracking is done for access by persons not involved in a patient's care, QA, or billing, again it depends upon facility policies and how well they're implemented.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

I am not looking forward to a future in which pts have 100% access to their online charts...

You know, I thought that too when Group Health was going that way in 2015, but then I just started writing my notes knowing that my patients would eventually read them.  I had a couple of REAL uncomfortable conversations with my L&I patients when I documented behaviors that I felt were suspicious for malingering, but fundamentally I wouldn't say anything behind their back I wouldn't say to their faces, and that's how I reconciled it and started those conversations.

• Upvote 2

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

Doing EM, I agree with Rev.  However, I'm not sure of the ramifications for a person receiving mental health treatment.  There may need to be an exception there.

I was actually just looking at the WA state medical records laws and regs for an unrelated reason, and I do recall seeing an exception when the access would cause harm to the patient.  If unfettered access by those struggling with serious mental health disorders don't fall within that, I'm not sure what else would

12 hours ago, rev ronin said:

You know, I thought that too when Group Health was going that way in 2015, but then I just started writing my notes knowing that my patients would eventually read them.  I had a couple of REAL uncomfortable conversations with my L&I patients when I documented behaviors that I felt were suspicious for malingering, but fundamentally I wouldn't say anything behind their back I wouldn't say to their faces, and that's how I reconciled it and started those conversations.

I use the phrase "presents anxious and dramatic" fairly frequently in my notes. That paints a great picture for the next provider, but is not something one would want to read about oneself.  Other things like "this pt clearly has cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome given their 5x daily marijuana use and relief of sx with hot showers. Pt is in complete denial of this and demanding a GI referral for further evaluation". That makes them sound like a nutbag, because they are.

• Upvote 2

On 10/4/2020 at 10:11 PM, EMEDPA said:

I am not looking forward to a future in which pts have 100% access to their online charts...

As of Oct 1, the system I work in went live with all labs/notes being immediately visible to patients.  This is apparently based on a federal law that was passed that goes into effect Nov 1.  Exceptions are psych, abuse, pregnant minors.