Radiology Online Certificate

PAS2 here about to head off to rotations. Would love to practice ER/UC after graduation. Was wondering if anyone knows if it's worth it to pay for an online radiology certificate? Several sites have them and they are good practice with lots of cases to review. Just don't know if it's worth to pay for them and if they'd even be looked at favorably out in the real world when it comes time for job interviews?

Thanks y'all!

• Administrator
2 hours ago, MishaShisha said:

PAS2 here about to head off to rotations. Would love to practice ER/UC after graduation. Was wondering if anyone knows if it's worth it to pay for an online radiology certificate? Several sites have them and they are good practice with lots of cases to review. Just don't know if it's worth to pay for them and if they'd even be looked at favorably out in the real world when it comes time for job interviews?

I highly doubt they'd hurt... the question is, will the money and time be worth it?

If you're doing ER/UC, I'd make sure you did ACLS, ATLS, PALS, NRP, ABLS, FCCS, ALSO, and The Difficult Airway course first.  Well, at least as many of those as you can get.

Once you've got that, what specific radiology certificate are you looking at? I'm convinced that Point of Care Ultrasound is worth it--in the past year, I've generated enough collections to pay for my Butterfly iQ and Practical POCUS course, even though I don't do ER at all, and family med more than UC. Will an imaging review course actually help enough, both in terms of patient care and in terms of employability, to be worth the cost and effort?  I simply don't know.

However, if you're a CME junkie like me, do strategically engineer your compensation so you can do pre-tax CME $$ for as much as possible; consult a tax advisor for real advice. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2020 at 4:54 PM, rev ronin said:

I highly doubt they'd hurt... the question is, will the money and time be worth it?

If you're doing ER/UC, I'd make sure you did ACLS, ATLS, PALS, NRP, ABLS, FCCS, ALSO, and The Difficult Airway course first.  Well, at least as many of those as you can get.

Once you've got that, what specific radiology certificate are you looking at? I'm convinced that Point of Care Ultrasound is worth it--in the past year, I've generated enough collections to pay for my Butterfly iQ and Practical POCUS course, even though I don't do ER at all, and family med more than UC. Will an imaging review course actually help enough, both in terms of patient care and in terms of employability, to be worth the cost and effort?  I simply don't know.

However, if you're a CME junkie like me, do strategically engineer your compensation so you can do pre-tax CME $$ for as much as possible; consult a tax advisor for real advice. 🙂

Hi! 

Thank you so much for the reply! I have BLS, ACLS, PALS, and experience with POCUS from school. I’m not 100% sure I want ER and am about to begin my first rotation. I’m just thinking of what I can do to make myself stand out for those first time job applications since Covid has limited rotations for us. I’m just worried because SoCal has several PA schools and many of my classmates are like previous RNs or EMTs, etc. I’ll look into the other stuff you mentioned. Thank you!