Debating whether to accept a job I'm excited about in a location I dislike...Advice?

I like orthopedic surgery and have very little experience (4 mo, lost job due to COVID cutbacks), and got another job in ortho that I really like that doesn't require call, but it's not in the location I want. I'm debating whether I should take the job and get experience for a couple years or just keep looking for a job in the location I want. How difficult do you feel it is to get a decent ortho job with very little experience? Anybody able to give insight about the difficulty of findings jobs with little experience? 

4 minutes ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

Especially now, take the job.  Suck as much learning and skillset growth out of it as you can possibly get.  Then, in 2-3 years when you have more marketable skills and we see how the economy and the healthcare world is doing, you can be in a better position to move on.

And you may have found that you love the practice and location!

Look at me! Being an optimist!

Thank you so much everyone, that's incredibly helpful! I've been feeling so confused about what to do and how much of a gamble it would be to turn it down to keep looking for a job where I want to live, but I think you're completely right. It's tough out there to get a job right now, and I can always get another one later. And good point: getting specialty, pay, and location all at once is really hard and I should prioritize (especially given that PAs are having a tough time with furloughs right now)

1 hour ago, mgriffiths said:

OP, seems you've already made up your mind (and I agree with the recommendations and your decision).  But, this is the KEY takeaway.  The longer you are out of work it continuously becomes harder to find a job.

I don't think I had realized that---is it because it makes you look difficult to hire? 

• Administrator
3 hours ago, justanotherperson said:

I don't think I had realized that---is it because it makes you look difficult to hire? 

Or just undesirable, for one reason or another.

I tell my long term workers comp patients with >1 year employment gap, they have their medical privacy, but it's in their best interests to tell potential employers they were injured, else the hiring manager will assume that they were in prison.

1 hour ago, rev ronin said:

Or just undesirable, for one reason or another.

I tell my long term workers comp patients with >1 year employment gap, they have their medical privacy, but it's in their best interests to tell potential employers they were injured, else the hiring manager will assume that they were in prison.

That's a very good point. Yikes, I feel like with the furloughs and job losses right now we might see a decent amount of that

7 minutes ago, MediMike said:

I've always felt like it was similar to dating...had a hell of a time finding someone and then once you're locked down in a relationship BOOM...come out of the woodwork.

Maybe all those other employers will want what they can't have!

Hahaha maybe! Sometimes it really can feel like when it rains, it pours

On 9/30/2020 at 9:22 PM, MediMike said:

I've always felt like it was similar to dating...had a hell of a time finding someone and then once you're locked down in a relationship BOOM...come out of the woodwork.

Maybe all those other employers will want what they can't have!

In other words..."Back then they didn't want me, now I'm hot they all on me." - Mike Jones

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, CJAdmission said:

Take the job and work your butt off since you don't like the environment. After you get good experience you'll be able to write your own ticket. 

This is really helpful, thank you! Choosing between location and decent job is nerve-wracking, but I think you're right. Jobs seem especially scarce these days from what I'm seeing

5 minutes ago, justanotherperson said:

This is really helpful, thank you! Choosing between location and decent job is nerve-wracking, but I think you're right. Jobs seem especially scarce these days from what I'm seeing

Yeah, it's a tough market in some specialties. Your first job doesn't need to be the love of your life, just figure out what you like and don't like for your second job.