New grad questions about interviews

This will probably be a long post because I have questions that, after hours of research, I still can't find answers to. I am a new grad, graduated a few months ago. I have been applying left and right since June and have had a handful of interviews. I feel like the interviews go better each time but so far, I've only had offers for part-time/contingent urgent care positions with very limited training (max- 1 week). I'm tempted to take them because I could use the money but having limited training as a new grad doesn't sit right with me. I am worried that the pandemic will inevitably affect hiring again in the fall and I will be stuck without a job for several more months. Should I just take one of the part/time contingent jobs just to get experience while I am waiting for something more substantial? Or would I be doing myself a disservice? I have started applying to every full time job, except those in psych, in hopes that something better will come along.  

My questions:

- What specialties are more willing to hire new grads?

-What are good specialties for new grads?

- The big cities are really saturated, is it worth it to look at rural areas instead?

In interviews I ask about patient load numbers, the training period, etc but have no idea what their answers mean for me.

- What is an acceptable patient load for a new grad?

- What is an acceptable training period? 

- Is it ok to accept half salary for a training period before being fully credentialed? 

- Malpractice: is it best to get my own if I have the option?

- What is included in a standard contract? What is typically negotiable in a contract and what is isn't?

- Are there any questions I should make sure to ask in every interview?

- When is the right time to ask about pay and benefits without seeming like I only care about money? I haven't asked about this or questioned interviewers further when they talk about it because I have always been cautioned to not ask this in the first interview and I don't know what follow-up questions to ask. 

Basically, this new grad thing is overwhelming and I'm just looking for some good advice to help me feel more prepared and empowered going into interviews. I know a lot of this depends on the specialty but any broad advice would be helpful. 

wow.....that is a lot. I'd suggest you get a mentor who has been around for a while to help you. These are all good questions but answering all of them will take a long time. There is a ton of variability in many of the answers based on specialty and location.

I'll tell you the one thing I tell every job seeker.... if you limit your option, you limit your options. That is if you want to work in pediatric neurosurgery in Dallas Texas you will die never finding a job. If you are interested in many possible specialties and are willing to go where you are needed you will find a job. There are jobs out there. You just have to be willing to open your mind and consider all possibilities.

As for various part time positions.... if you can find one that will give you the support you need to function safely as a new grad take it. You will get a chance to develop your skills, you will see what a real world position looks like and you will learn first hand a lot of the answers to your questions.

People toss out urgent care like it is some easy thing to do while you kill time. It isn't. The difficulty in UC is not missing something bad among the seemingly endless parade of trivial complaints and nonsense. I have had strokes, MIs, gunshot wounds, dog maulings, and a pneumothorax all walk in either because they didn't know what was wrong with them or because they didn't want to wait in line at the ER (though gunshots generally get you close to the front of the line every time). So don't fall into that trap. It can be a great place to get experience IF you have the right support.

Edited by sas5814
  • Upvote 2

Have you talked to your classmates or program about any of this?  They may be a good resource for you.  As well as this forum as well.  

My questions:

- What specialties are more willing to hire new grads?

There is no specific specialty that one can say is more willing

-What are good specialties for new grads?

FP/IM/ER...I encourage new grads to start off in a medical specialty where you will learn how to practice medicine before jumping into a other specialties (i.e. surgery for instance).  Of course if surgery is your passion though, it could be harder to get a surgery job the longer you are out of the OR.  As a new grad you have been in the OR at least in the past 12 months.  

- The big cities are really saturated, is it worth it to look at rural areas instead?

YES!! You don't want to let to much time go by being an unemployed new grad

In interviews I ask about patient load numbers, the training period, etc but have no idea what their answers mean for me.

While these questions are necessary, you need to word them correctly as to not give off an impression that you feel incompetent/unprepared.  It should be expected that you will start off slow and have lots of questions, but also you need to come off as a confident new grad.  

- What is an acceptable patient load for a new grad?

Depends on specialty, hours working, follow up vs new patient etc....In outpatient clinic you would establish seeing follow ups at 15-30 intervals and new patients 45-60 mins.  In the ED/UC you may only be able to handle 1-3 patients per hour depending on complexity.  

- What is an acceptable training period? 

Will vary from job to job.  I had a month training period when I was a hospitalist.  I had about 6 hours training when I did outpatient psych.  After learning the office protocols/EMR system, you should be able to start seeing patients fairly quickly with support/guidance available from physician/other PAs throughout your shift.  

- Is it ok to accept half salary for a training period before being fully credentialed? 

This is not a typical situation.  I've had one job offer that wanted to start me off at a decreased salary for a month and I turned them down.  I understand why jobs want to pay you less, because you aren't productive while waiting to be credentialed.  When it comes down to it, if it is the job you want, you take it because you need a job.  

- Malpractice: is it best to get my own if I have the option?

Opinions vary....I've never carried my own policy.  Many swear by it and are afraid their employers policy will not fight for them.  

- What is included in a standard contract? What is typically negotiable in a contract and what is isn't?

I would review the contracts section and see what people say.  Contracts can be one page or 5 pages.  You can have sections on salary, PTO, termination of employment, CME, malpractice, non-compete, benefits, etc....Negotiation varies.  

- Are there any questions I should make sure to ask in every interview?

What will your support system be as a new grad...standard questions like pay, benefits, expectations of patient load, etc

- When is the right time to ask about pay and benefits without seeming like I only care about money? I haven't asked about this or questioned interviewers further when they talk about it because I have always been cautioned to not ask this in the first interview and I don't know what follow-up questions to ask. 

For most of my career, I found out what the pay offer was when a contract was sent to me or the interviewer asked about pay during the initial interview.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2