Portage Learning

I've taken 6 or 7 courses from them. An admission representative from a PA school I was considering going to recommended Portage to me. Relatively inexpensive and self paced with up to a year to complete the course from the time you start. What more could you ask for. All the school I applied to accepted the coursework no problems. Have to pay it all up front, there are no payment plans, & you can't use financial aid. Just FYI. 

• Like 2

I've taken 6 or 7 courses from them. An admission representative from a PA school I was considering going to recommended Portage to me. Relatively inexpensive and self paced with up to a year to complete the course from the time you start. What more could you ask for. All the school I applied to accepted the coursework no problems. Have to pay it all up front, there are no payment plans, & you can't use financial aid. Just FYI. 

Awesome! Yes I’ve paid all up front and my work reimburses a certain amount each year. Loved that they are inexpensive and self paced as i work full time. Thank you for your feed back. This is great
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 9/22/2020 at 4:36 PM, JuliaC said:

Has anyone taken prerequisite courses through Portage?  If so, how was your experience?  Thank you! 🙂

I have taken Microbiology and I'm finishing up biochemistry now. I've thought the format is good for it being self-paced. Biochem has been challenging as far as content, but Mirco was not bad at all. 

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2022 at 7:04 PM, Elena1234 said:

How was Biochem? Were the tests proctored?

Biochem was one of the courses I took there. They use the lockdown browser with camera, but not live proctors. As far as the class goes, I had enrolled in a Biochem from another school which recommended several chem pre-reqs I did not have, and I ended up dropping it 10 days in because I clearly was not at the level needed to complete it. I was worried about the short fuse to complete Biochem (final course I needed for my PA applications, at the time), and Portage was there to bail me out. The Portage course was EXCELLENT as an intro course, yet I feel like I still came out with the necessary fundamentals for a PA program. Also, I was able to fly through it. I dedicated several hours per evening to the class, and got it done in the fastest allowable timeframe which was like 4-5 weeks. I highly recommend it as a pre-req.

Speaking to Portage more generally.... I took science pre-requisites from 3 different institutions (it's another story as to why) over the course of a year, and I wish I took ALL of them from Portage. The biggest difference, by far, was the lack of an 800 page book. Every other course I took had some iteration of "here's 850+ pages, read this and do these assignments". I had some excellent instructors, and some great assignments which helped learn, but there was no way around grinding out 800+ pages of a science book, which felt like a terrible way to learn. Portage did away with that (I can't speak for every class, but all that I did were this way) in lieu of lecture material and custom written course curriculum that perfectly gels with the lecture and assignments. Ultimately, it's a fraction of what the 800+ page book presented, yet I feel like I learned the same amount of material, and there was great focus/emphasis on the topics I would need to carry into the next class. Altogether, it was great. Self-paced was fantastic, and the price is much less than most other courses. My only complaint (small complaint) was that lack of a dedicated professor. I had one assigned, but it took several emails back-and-forth when I was trying to get more insight into a topic. Of course, with the internet full of resources, having a great instructor is really not necessary any more, and it wasn't a big deal to me. However, if a student needs a lot of handholding from the course instructor, you'll want to think twice here.

1 hour ago, Ty2PA said:

Biochem was one of the courses I took there. They use the lockdown browser with camera, but not live proctors. As far as the class goes, I had enrolled in a Biochem from another school which recommended several chem pre-reqs I did not have, and I ended up dropping it 10 days in because I clearly was not at the level needed to complete it. I was worried about the short fuse to complete Biochem (final course I needed for my PA applications, at the time), and Portage was there to bail me out. The Portage course was EXCELLENT as an intro course, yet I feel like I still came out with the necessary fundamentals for a PA program. Also, I was able to fly through it. I dedicated several hours per evening to the class, and got it done in the fastest allowable timeframe which was like 4-5 weeks. I highly recommend it as a pre-req.

Speaking to Portage more generally.... I took science pre-requisites from 3 different institutions (it's another story as to why) over the course of a year, and I wish I took ALL of them from Portage. The biggest difference, by far, was the lack of an 800 page book. Every other course I took had some iteration of "here's 850+ pages, read this and do these assignments". I had some excellent instructors, and some great assignments which helped learn, but there was no way around grinding out 800+ pages of a science book, which felt like a terrible way to learn. Portage did away with that (I can't speak for every class, but all that I did were this way) in lieu of lecture material and custom written course curriculum that perfectly gels with the lecture and assignments. Ultimately, it's a fraction of what the 800+ page book presented, yet I feel like I learned the same amount of material, and there was great focus/emphasis on the topics I would need to carry into the next class. Altogether, it was great. Self-paced was fantastic, and the price is much less than most other courses. My only complaint (small complaint) was that lack of a dedicated professor. I had one assigned, but it took several emails back-and-forth when I was trying to get more insight into a topic. Of course, with the internet full of resources, having a great instructor is really not necessary any more, and it wasn't a big deal to me. However, if a student needs a lot of handholding from the course instructor, you'll want to think twice here.

Thank you for your response. I will look into taking it with Portage!  If you have any more insight PLEASE feel free to text me at 954-558-0980. I will be eternally grateful. It is my LAST Pre req I need to apply!!!!!

Eileen