HCA (MHA) to PA

Hello experienced PAs!  I am a healthcare administrator (HCA) in the Navy with a MHA degree.  I served 8 years clinically as a hospital corpsman (medic) before going to graduate school for my MHA and often miss clinical work (and being able to have clinical knowledge credibility with my clinician colleagues).  I am only 4 years from retirement eligibility with the Navy but am also only 34 years old.  I already have over 10 years of professional healthcare administration experience but I have been very interested in pursuing another degree to advance my career (especially for after the military).  I am curious what your opinions are on pursuing a MPAS degree and getting back into clinical practice as a PA?

22 minutes ago, TheFatMan said:

I'm a former corpsman and I'm in school right now. I say go for it, it sounds like you'd make a great PA, and, if you wanted, it sounds like you wouldn't have any trouble getting into IPAP. I don't recall the exact length but I don't think it adds too much time to your commitment.

IPAP certainly would be cheaper but they don't accept already commissioned MSC officers... if I did it while I was still in, I would probably need to pursue my own MPAS program and then just change my specialty code after... not sure.

6 minutes ago, NavyHCA said:

IPAP certainly would be cheaper but they don't accept already commissioned MSC officers... if I did it while I was still in, I would probably need to pursue my own MPAS program and then just change my specialty code after... not sure.

Oh shoot, didn't think about that. Definitely worth exploring though. I can say that from my interviews, programs love military/veterans and especially prior corpsmen. Good luck!