Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Commitment post-residency

Recommended Posts

Hello all! A classmate and friend recently applied to a residency and after applying was told that if accepted, they would have to sign a 1-year contract stating they would stay employed with the hospital after completion of the residency. I am interested in this same program but I'm wondering is this a red flag? Of course it's good to be employed, but is this normal for most residences?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sleepingbeautyyyyy said:

It's a real residency that's on APPAP.org!

This does not make it a residency necessarily. The fact it has a sign on requirement makes me think that it isn’t. It is most certainly a red flag. Could help more if we learn which one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect I know which one is being referred to, though there may be several like this. But i think the one in question is a critical care one at a very legit institution. The education is probably top notch. While off-putting, I'm surprised more programs don't do more to retain their residents after all that is invested.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, dphy83 said:

I suspect I know which one is being referred to, though there may be several like this. But i think the one in question is a critical care one at a very legit institution. The education is probably top notch. While off-putting, I'm surprised more programs don't do more to retain their residents after all that is invested.

I am now aware of the program. Regardless of its status or the education provided, which I believe is high, I disagree with any contract that forces you to stay at that institution. There is always a reason they have difficulty retaining providers, especially in desirable urban locations. There is nothing someone can offer that is worth removing your freedom of choice. I've been in this situation. Trust me. Nothing is worth being able to quit your job when they aren't treating you right.

If they want to retain their residents, offer a good package, perks, advancement structure, or something to help you stand out to the resident, not lock them in. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

I am now aware of the program. Regardless of its status or the education provided, which I believe is high, I disagree with any contract that forces you to stay at that institution. There is always a reason they have difficulty retaining providers, especially in desirable urban locations. There is nothing someone can offer that is worth removing your freedom of choice. I've been in this situation. Trust me. Nothing is worth being able to quit your job when they aren't treating you right.

If they want to retain their residents, offer a good package, perks, advancement structure, or something to help you stand out to the resident, not lock them in. 

Oh, I agree. I looked at this very program and moved on. My point about trying to retain their graduates was more about offering a retention bonus and not strong arming them into staying. I agree with you 100%

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2020 at 6:25 PM, dphy83 said:

Oh, I agree. I looked at this very program and moved on. My point about trying to retain their graduates was more about offering a retention bonus and not strong arming them into staying. I agree with you 100%

Was the commitment apart of the "moved on"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2020 at 8:25 PM, dphy83 said:

Oh, I agree. I looked at this very program and moved on. My point about trying to retain their graduates was more about offering a retention bonus and not strong arming them into staying. I agree with you 100%

What’s more devious is they don’t list this on their site or other informational materials. It wasn’t until you get to accepting the offer they say:

 

75269A0D-5213-4F7E-81FA-6368AEC5C2E7.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More