Capitol Emergency Associates of TeamHealth EMAPC Fellowship

Does anyone know anything about this EM Fellowship? It's in Austin, TX. 

I can't seem to find out anything about them, cannot find link to a curriculum.... They are listed on the APPAP website, but I don't think that means anything. 

If anyone is currently attending or has attended this program, please reply here, or feel free to DM me. 

Any information is welcomed. 

Skepticism radar is high. Run by a for-profit EM (and other service lines) entity contracted by other facilities. You will be obligated to work several fast track shifts per month in addition to main ED shifts where your true learning occurs. Not that you don't learn or see interesting stuff in FT on occasion. Trust me, their interest lies in grooming a provider to hopefully retain and in money. Reach out to the program director and inquire about off-service rotations, ultrasound training, certification courses, etc. I'd be interested in hearing what they offer.

For what it's worth, I met with the med director a couple years ago when I was applying for an EM position at the facility, so my info may be dated.

As a general rule, I would stick with academic centers that run alongside physician residency programs

• Like 1

On 9/8/2020 at 10:46 AM, dphy83 said:

Skepticism radar is high. Run by a for-profit EM (and other service lines) entity contracted by other facilities. You will be obligated to work several fast track shifts per month in addition to main ED shifts where your true learning occurs. Not that you don't learn or see interesting stuff in FT on occasion. Trust me, their interest lies in grooming a provider to hopefully retain and in money. Reach out to the program director and inquire about off-service rotations, ultrasound training, certification courses, etc. I'd be interested in hearing what they offer.

For what it's worth, I met with the med director a couple years ago when I was applying for an EM position at the facility, so my info may be dated.

As a general rule, I would stick with academic centers that run alongside physician residency programs

Thank you! The fact that I can't find a website with details, a curriculum, all raised red flags. Unfortunately, I call Austin home and I wanted to go home. It seems that I'll be on the road for another year (that's the unfortunate part). 

• 2 weeks later...

I know a couple of people who did the TeamHealth residency in another city. I will say it sounds like to me it is cheap ER PA labor. On top of it, funding is not there for these residencies due to covid. So I will be surprised if any of the TeamHealth residencies will even available this coming year. I do know that a couple of the locations, especially at Orlando, the program has been terminated. 

Lastly, I personally know someone who is finishing the residency this month and had to find a job in a different specialty because he will not be kept on as an employee due to lack of funding. 

• Like 1