Yet more NCCPA arrogance...

• Administrator

NCCPA decided to force password updates on everyone, apparently, with no ability to opt out if you liked your old password just fine.  Yet more arrogance from a legally-enforced monopoly; no matter how advisable a stronger password might be, no PHI is at stake, so there is, to the best of my knowledge, no reason to FORCE password upgrades.  There is, of course, no monetary compensation offered for the inconvenience of a forced password change.

We really need to have the NCCPA board consist of ONLY PA voting members.

• Like 1

Or they won't admit to a serious breach or breach potential and are taking advice from an overpaid "security firm" who told them they have to do this to prevent being hacked and someone securing credentials.

I can't remember my password half the time anyway and have to request a new one.

When I was in school, no internet. A guy broke into the PA offices at University of Oklahoma and stole forms that would show him to be a PA and register for an NCCPA number. 

I do not disagree that NCCPA needs actual PAs on its board. They need to stand up more to us being overrun by NPs.

• Upvote 1

Wargames, actually.  Incidentally (and I’m sure no one cares) growing up I had a Xerox computer with 16 inch floppies.  It sounded like a lawn mower when it started up.
Xerox 820
My dad had an osborne 1 (world's first "laptop" that weighed a ton!) and then we got a Commodore 128 one Christmas which was for games. We used to pretend we were David Lightman and type "Logon: Hello Joshua" and go back and forth until we played "Global Thermonuclear War" [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Ahh the 80s!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, rev ronin said:

NCCPA decided to force password updates on everyone, apparently, with no ability to opt out if you liked your old password just fine.  Yet more arrogance from a legally-enforced monopoly; no matter how advisable a stronger password might be, no PHI is at stake, so there is, to the best of my knowledge, no reason to FORCE password upgrades.  There is, of course, no monetary compensation offered for the inconvenience of a forced password change.

We really need to have the NCCPA board consist of ONLY PA voting members.

REALLY?

You are going to complain and accuse NCCPA of mis-management when they merely follow good IT security?

They can't win, if they got hacked they would get blammed, if they follow good protocol they are getting blammed....

Really just use a pasword saver like 1password and move on.

I for one am in favor of using reasonable security on the password side of things as getting hacked is a royal PIA

I say thanks for the forced change, (Iand I think eveyone else should also even it if takes an extra 10 seconds to deal with....)

• Like 1

• Administrator
3 hours ago, ventana said:

REALLY?

You are going to complain and accuse NCCPA of mis-management when they merely follow good IT security?

They can't win, if they got hacked they would get blammed, if they follow good protocol they are getting blammed....

Really just use a pasword saver like 1password and move on.

I for one am in favor of using reasonable security on the password side of things as getting hacked is a royal PIA

I say thanks for the forced change, (Iand I think eveyone else should also even it if takes an extra 10 seconds to deal with....)

Forcing password changes isn't even remotely good security, and it's bad customer service.  For those who don't remember, I did infosec full-time for 10 years until I left for PA school in 2010.

So 1) doing the wrong thing, 2) doing it without customer notification, and 3) forcing it rather than providing it as an option: it's arrogant and stupid, all at the same time.  Worse, they probably paid some consultant who isn't much older than my CISSP certification waaay too much to tell them to do the stupid thing everyone else is doing, and likely also recommended that they do it in an arrogant fashion like, you know, forcing it with no notification.

https://gizmodo.com/the-guy-who-invented-those-annoying-password-rules-now-1797643987

• Administrator
8 hours ago, thinkertdm said:

Wargames, actually.  Incidentally (and I’m sure no one cares) growing up I had a Xerox computer with 8 inch floppies.  It sounded like a lawn mower when it started up.

I have an 8-inch floppy, a VAX Magtape, and punch cards in my IT junk archives, but of the three only ever used the magtape.

OK, youngsters.   My 1st computer was an 8K IBM 1130.  Not only have I punched cards, I have programmed drum control cards which controlled key punches.  I have used plug board controlled punched card interpreters and card sorters. I have coded IBM assembler for an IBM 360.

I don't know what the future of computing will hold - but I take comfort in the fact that you all will be paying for my social security.  

Edited by ohiovolffemtp
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

OK, youngsters.   My 1st computer was an 8K IBM 1130.  Not only have I punched cards, I have programmed drum control cards which controlled key punches.  I have used plug board controlled punched card interpreters and card sorters. I have coded IBM assembler for an IBM 360.

I don't know what the future of computing will hold - but I take comfort in the fact that you all will be paying for my social security.  

And I thought I was king of the world when I typed:

10 print “hello world”

20 goto 10

on my grandparents tandy.  Hats off to you my friend.

I don't remember what my first computer was but it had 2 big floppy drives (8,5inch? can't remember) and you had to put the 2 "boot disks" in and turn it on to make it boot up. Then you had to use other floppies to store anything. The floppy disks help so little information. I remember adding a 32k "hard card" and learning DOS commands to make it work. My keyboard was hard wired into the case/cpu so liquids near the computer was a huge no-no. Afew weeks ago i gound a 32 pin printer cable in the bottom of my crock-o-cables where I have been throwing computer pieces for many years. Its a 5 gallon pickle crock next to my desk. My first "monster computer" was a Pentium 90 and costs $5000

On other matters I have applied to be on the NCCPA board next year. I think they can serve the profession better with modernization and innovation. Bitching about it for years hasn't done anything. Maybe change from within is possible.

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, sas5814 said:

On other matters I have applied to be on the NCCPA board next year. I think they can serve the profession better with modernization and innovation. Bitching about it for years hasn't done anything. Maybe change from within is possible.

Sure hope you're selected.  Since it sounds like the current board selects the new members I'm concerned about in-breeding and group-think not wanting outside voices.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

Sure hope you're selected.  Since it sounds like the current board selects the new members I'm concerned about in-breeding and group-think not wanting outside voices.

th?id=OIP.XkIdzBdl7KvduvXzgkh6dAHaFj%26p

Old folks may get this...  NCCPA has been that way since this first came out.

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1