Applying in 2012?

Hi everybody! I thought I would start a thread to see if anyone browsing the forum was applying to the Towson-Essex program for the June 2013 start date. Maybe we can share our experiences as they happen!

A little about me - my name is Katie, I'm 27, and I live here in MD. I was a middle school science teacher (biology major in undergrad) for 5 years before deciding to pursue admission to physician assistant school. I've spent the last year volunteering, working, and finishing pre-requisites. This is my first time applying. I'm really excited!

My CASPA application was mailed on June 23rd. I got an email from the program on June 26th stating that they had received the application. So far, so good!

So -- anyone else applying this year?

:)

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Katie!

My application was mailed today! (Slightly later than I would of liked, but, that's how things go sometimes). I'm 26 and live up in Cecil, working for Upper Chesapeake Health in a physician's office and the Blood Bank of Delmarva as a Medical Technologist.

I was Pre-Vet in undergrad, but decided to do Medical Technology for personal and financial reasons (mostly due to my mom's state of health) before considering full-time graduate school. While working at the University of Virginia I participated in a remote area medical clinic, and loved every second of it, becoming enthusiastic and motivated to work in underserved areas in a greater capacity.

I took a year and a half or so to get some 'human' pre-reqs out of the way and take my GREs. This is my first time applying. I have a lot of animal medicine experience out on the field from undergrad and most of my people contact is with geriatric phlebotomy. I'm trying to be optimistic, but the ratio of applicants to seats is a little detering.

Towson was actually the only school of which I am applying to that I was unable to go to the information session, unfortunately. Have you applied anywhere else? And what kind of HCEs do you have?

Best of luck! :)

Christine

Hi Christine! Thanks for replying to the thread! :=D:

I also applied to Anne Arundel Community College's program. I went to an information session at Towson -- it reviewed a lot of the info that's present on the program's website.

For my HCE, at the time I e-submitted my application to CASPA, I had a little over 1300 hours from hospital/nursing home volunteering, nonclinical medical research, working as a unit secretary at a hospital, working as a medical assistant at a doctors' office, and a little bit of shadowing (a good friend of mine is a PA). I still currently volunteer and work as a unit secretary & medical assistant, so I'm wondering if I should update my HCE in some kind of letter to the programs... gahhhh... it's my first time doing this so I don't want to pester them, but my HCE looks different now from how it looked on my application, ya know? Whew. And if you look around the forum, everyone seems to have their own opinion about all this stuff. :xD:

Good luck and let me know if you hear anything!!

Katie

Hi Guys,

My name is Amy. This is actually my 2nd time applying to PA School so hopefully this year will be better *fingers crossed*. I also am applying at AACC in addition to CCBC with a few out of state schools. I currently live in MD so I would prefer to stay here . I did go through the interview process last year at CCBC but was not accepted :sadface: . So this year I've been working my butt off at my job, took 2 more classes to beef up my app, got new recs, and wrote a better essay. I know this is really what I want to do and I'm trying to do everything I can to let any admissions folks know how determined I am. I currently work in clinical neurological research and I'm also a certified phlebotomist. I sent in my CASPA nice and early this year which I know is helpful when it comes to CCBC since they are very much a rolling admissions school. The waiting is one of the hardest parts. Good luck to both you and also keep me posted if you hear anything from either MD school!

Amy

Hey guys

My name is Shawn, this is my first time applying. im 22, just graduated from UMD, 3.45, BS in Neurobiology/ Physiology (1 degree). I should have finished my application, but my LORs havent sent theirs in yet so i might have to get new ones. i'v also been revising my personal statement. but im also done with my application. I have about 4000 hours (5years) pharmacy tech experience, currently work as an ER Scribe. and about 120 hours shadowing a surgical PA team.

I wish there were more PA programs in MD! there are so many PAs around the DMV area!

well good luck to you guys, you all sound like really nice candidates!

@iheartkeytars (Amy),

Can you tell us what the interview was like at CCBC last year? Individual or group? etc...

Good luck for this year!

About me: I have about 1500 pt care hours as an EMT, about a 3.4 overall GPA and a 4.0 prerequisite GPA. I am also applying to Anne Arundel and GW. For me this is a career change. So excited!

user-offline.png

@iheartkeytars (Amy),

Can you tell us what the interview was like at CCBC last year? Individual or group? etc...

Good luck for this year!

About me: I have about 1500 pt care hours as an EMT, about a 3.4 overall GPA and a 4.0 prerequisite GPA. I am also applying to Anne Arundel and GW. For me this is a career change. So excited!

user-offline.png

Sure! Last year we started with a program presentation which was done by a second year student, that was nice since she was really helpful during the Q&A that followed. After that we were broken up into groups where each would go to a different sections of the interview then we'd rotate. My next stop was a tour of the campus that was guided by a few first year students, also good time to ask questions and get the feel of the program. Next, my group was put into a classroom to do some essay and reading comprehension exercises. My last activity was the face to face interview which was a 3 person panel. I was so nervous but being able to talk to the present students was really great and calmed my nerves a bit. Hopefully this year, I will hit the mark. Oh I was in an 8am group and we were done before noon.

• 2 weeks later...

I recieved an interview invite, but not from Towson :(. I did apply later than I think the both of you did, so hopefully it means they're going in order and I'll get mine soon *crosses fingers* When is it, if you don't mind me asking? I'm glad my other program gave me a full month's notice! Good luck!

Hey Amy,

what was the interview process at CCBC like? what should I expect?

Kelly

Hi Guys,

My name is Amy. This is actually my 2nd time applying to PA School so hopefully this year will be better *fingers crossed*. I also am applying at AACC in addition to CCBC with a few out of state schools. I currently live in MD so I would prefer to stay here . I did go through the interview process last year at CCBC but was not accepted :sadface: . So this year I've been working my butt off at my job, took 2 more classes to beef up my app, got new recs, and wrote a better essay. I know this is really what I want to do and I'm trying to do everything I can to let any admissions folks know how determined I am. I currently work in clinical neurological research and I'm also a certified phlebotomist. I sent in my CASPA nice and early this year which I know is helpful when it comes to CCBC since they are very much a rolling admissions school. The waiting is one of the hardest parts. Good luck to both you and also keep me posted if you hear anything from either MD school!

Amy

See you then, Amy! I'll ask everyone I see when I get there: "Are you iheartkeytars? I'm kms111211!" Hehe. ;)

Haha, I'll keep my eyes and ears open for a Katie. I'm actually starting to get nervous today. All my co-workers are trying to simultaneously coach me with interview questions and I'm kind of like AHHHHHHHHHH! But they're very helpful and supportive. But I'll definitely be prepping this weekend :smile:

When did you send in your CASPA application?

Mid June-ish

Okay, question. They want transcripts sent. I'm thinking they want them sent to Office of Admissions (Where the graduate school wants materials sent), yes? Or am I missing where the PA Program wants materials sent...?

Also, the online PA Program Admissions Process page states only transcripts that awarded degrees. The email instruction page does not make the distinction. I have a school I took pre-reqs with no degree. Do I have one sent?

Archived