round three rant

Second time applying. Applied to 18 schools. 3 rejections, 2 interviews so far. I am just not feeling super confident and like I should have applied to more schools (which is super ridiculous considering how many schools I applied to is already a little ridiculous). I'd say I'm a pretty average candidate with hours and GPA and such balanced out. This process is the worst. 

19 minutes ago, eventuallypac said:

Second time applying. Applied to 18 schools. 3 rejections, 2 interviews so far. I am just not feeling super confident and like I should have applied to more schools (which is super ridiculous considering how many schools I applied to is already a little ridiculous). I'd say I'm a pretty average candidate with hours and GPA and such balanced out. This process is the worst. 

You are in the "down on yourself" phase, judging from your choice of words. 18 schools should be plenty; all you need is one seat. If you're getting interviews, that's great: you've met the criteria to move on to the next step. I'd stop talking about what a "pretty average" candidate you are since that's not going to help your confidence and that can be reflected in your interview performance.

The process isn't bad; it's how we react to it that makes all the difference. Good luck!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, UGoLong said:

You are in the "down on yourself" phase, judging from your choice of words. 18 schools should be plenty; all you need is one seat. If you're getting interviews, that's great: you've met the criteria to move on to the next step. I'd stop talking about what a "pretty average" candidate you are since that's not going to help your confidence and that can be reflected in your interview performance.

The process isn't bad; it's how we react to it that makes all the difference. Good luck!

Definitely in that phase. Last cycle I didn't experience it too much, but I definitely have this cycle.  I know for certain I would be a great PA student and eventual PA, and that's definitely what I aim to get across in interviews. But thanks. I came into the process headstrong and have just gotten kind of discouraged over time. 

1 hour ago, Diggy said:

Sorry to hear! But if you want this bad enough you'll give it your all. I was in your position not too long ago.

But I gave myself 1 cycle. Told myself should I not get in, I'll move on. I would've loved being a PA but time waits for no one.

Did you reach out to admissions to see how and where to improve?

I have not reached out, but I know the areas that need improvement, and have improved them since last cycle, and plan to continue improving them. Thanks!

Normal to be discouraged but it’s important to keep trying. They will see this in the next round. Along the way you’re building character, gathering more experience, and creating more content for your next interviews. Find the positives rather than dwelling on the negative. Hopefully you’re accruing PCE or working towards improving something while waiting for entry. I went through 5 cycles and 6 years when it was my time. You’re at two. It’s all about perspective. 

On 8/21/2020 at 9:58 AM, eventuallypac said:

If anyone wants to start a pity party powwow group chat let me know LOL! This is my second cycle applying (literally 20 schools) and I have 4 waitlists, and like 3 rejections. I know that the bulk of the answers have yet to come, but here I am self hating that some people are basking in glory & security of having a program, LOL!

Edited by mands
I meant 4 waitlists! Just got another one recently!

12 hours ago, mands said:

If anyone wants to start a pity party powwow group chat let me know LOL! This is my second cycle applying (literally 20 schools) and I have 4 waitlists, and like 3 rejections. I know that the bulk of the answers have yet to come, but here I am self hating that some people are basking in glory & security of having a program, LOL!

I’m here for it 😂😂

• Like 2

On 8/25/2020 at 10:57 PM, mands said:

omg LOL similar to me!!! Last cycle I had one interview which turned into a waitlist. This cycle I had two interviews so far-- one rejection and yet again another waitlist. SIGH. 

Edited by FuturePA6813

On 8/25/2020 at 7:57 PM, mands said:

I'm down for the pity party group chat in all honesty lol. You guys are talking about waitlists... I got 2 interviews and I'm hearing crickets from all of my 14 schools. No waitlist, no rejection, no acceptance. 😟

Edited by Laybunny

It took me 5 years to get accepted. I just graduated PA school. 

I applied to 4-7 schools each year. 3.6 GPA, 50-100 shadowing hours, random volunteering including 8 months at Mayo Clinic, 305 or so GRE. Over 10k direct patient care hours by matriculation (CNA and MA). 

If I would have given up I wouldn’t be here today. 

instagram.com/lisafellispa

Edited by LisaPA
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Laybunny said:

I'm down for the pity party group chat in all honesty lol. You guys are talking about waitlists... I got 2 interviews and I'm hearing crickets from all of my 14 schools. No waitlist, no rejection, no acceptance. 😟

Does anyone else want in on this?! LOL! we can actually do this! 

and followed you @LisaPA !

Edited by mands