Deciding where to go for PA school

Hi,

I'm still new to learning about PA school and the profession. I looked up several PA schools, some in California and some in Texas. My question is that does it make sense to go to a PA school out of state? I live in Texas, however I like most California PA schools (Stanford, USC, Western, UC Davis) better in terms of curriculum and less prerequisite courses for admission. However, I'm worried about finding my own transportation that I heard you need in order to get to various clinical rotations that are far from campus. I guess if I were to go to a California PA school, then I'd have to even buy or rent a car and find a place to live? 

I know there is this one PA school near my hometown (Baylor College of Medicine) which would make things more convenient in terms of traveling to clinical rotations. However, I know in the long run that I would like to practice as a PA in California and would probably like to live there as well (despite the high cost of living). I also want more autonomy from my parents sooner and I'm tired of staying at home, so I wouldn't want to go to school near home. If I were to go to PA school in Texas, would that make me less likely to find jobs in California & more likely to find jobs in Texas?

Edited by hat101

10 hours ago, hat101 said:

Hi,

I'm still new to learning about PA school and the profession. I looked up several PA schools, some in California and some in Texas. My question is that does it make sense to go to a PA school out of state? I live in Texas, however I like most California PA schools (Stanford, USC, Western, UC Davis) better in terms of curriculum and less prerequisite courses for admission. However, I'm worried about finding my own transportation that I heard you need in order to get to various clinical rotations that are far from campus. I guess if I were to go to a California PA school, then I'd have to even buy or rent a car and find a place to live? 

I know there is this one PA school near my hometown (Baylor College of Medicine) which would make things more convenient in terms of traveling to clinical rotations. However, I know in the long run that I would like to practice as a PA in California and would probably like to live there as well (despite the high cost of living). I also want more autonomy from my parents sooner and I'm tired of staying at home, so I wouldn't want to go to school near home. If I were to go to PA school in Texas, would that make me less likely to find jobs in California & more likely to find jobs in Texas?

No, I wouldn't expect going to school in Texas would stop you from getting a job in California. 

It is not unusual for students in a PA program to come from everywhere, though often many are relatively locals. After graduation, they tend to go back to where they came from or else go to where they want to work and can find a job. Some programs have rotations in other places throughout the country. In my Ohio class, one of the students was from Alaska and went back there after graduation and she's still there 14 years later. Students seem to find their way to where they want to go.

That said, there is an advantage doing rotations where you think you want to work. That can help you network and find work. Some programs make that easier than others.

• Like 1

@UGoLong Thanks for the feedback! I did have a feeling that if I went to PA school in Texas and did my rotations there, then I'd be more likely to find jobs in Texas. Do you know of any person who went to PA school in their local state, but eventually found work in another state? I know it's still possible for me to eventually find work in California since PAs can work in any state, but only if I find connections.

3 hours ago, hat101 said:

@UGoLong Thanks for the feedback! I did have a feeling that if I went to PA school in Texas and did my rotations there, then I'd be more likely to find jobs in Texas. Do you know of any person who went to PA school in their local state, but eventually found work in another state? I know it's still possible for me to eventually find work in California since PAs can work in any state, but only if I find connections.

I know many people who did that. They worked at getting connections and, in some cases, arranged for clinical rotations where they wanted to go. Like most things, it starts with networking. If you want to go to California and live in Texas, then you'll want to find people in healthcare who work there. You can contact the state PA association. Once you get to get to school, during your didactic year you can get even more serious, using your classmates and faculty to help.

• Like 1