GI Bill During Residency?

Has anyone had success with using your Post 9-11 GI Bill during a residency for the monthly housing allowance? I am about to begin my residency and the administration has never dealt with this before. If anyone had success with this, would you mind sharing how you went about it? Thanks for reading!

13 hours ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

I did and many physician residents have. Search SDN. I did the Montgomery though. Is your residency associated with a university?

@AdamPAC

Thanks, yes it’s associated with Yale, but what do you mean “Search SDN”?

I sent the inquiry to the VA educational benefits department already and they said that I could use the post 9-11, but that it has to be initiated by the school. When I asked the school of medicine’s financial aid department, they said to ask the hospital department I work for. The hospital department says they don’t know and neither do the GME administrators. So I guess I am looking for an example from someone of who they approached first or who was their certifying official.

@AdamPAC

I meant search student doctor network. They have lots of info on it there. Some of it is old, but still relevant, on people who have had difficulties.

I found Yale New Haven hospital residency on WEAMS. This is good, so they are already approved, making the process much easier. https://inquiry.vba.va.gov/weamspub/buildViewOrg.do

You can try to get in touch with the certifying official who can help you further. Your hospital lists:

HEATHER RUSSELL-MILICI

karen cameron

You can also get help from the University VA office. They were the ones who helped set up mine, because it was not listed in WEAMS as certified.

You may run into trouble since the PA residency there is not technically accredited like physician residencies. Fortunately mine was one of the few that got ARC-PA certification before they shut that process down, so I was lucky. But hey, maybe the residency office will just submit the paperwork like you're under the physician residency?

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1