Eventual transition to EM

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone can help me answer this since I can't find the answer anywhere else.

I am a recently graduated PA. My endgame position I would like to get into is emergency medicine. However, given the current climate with COVID (and probably pre-existing environment of EDs trying to hire experienced APPs), I have found it incredibly difficult, if not impossible, to find an EM position. I had applied to a variety of different positions, and after 5 months the only job to offer me a position was a private practice neurosurgery gig. I think I am going to accept (great salary, benefits, supervising physician seems awesome). However, I was wondering if this is kind of experience would benefit me at allto entry into emergency medicine down the line? Or if this would not make an impact at all? Any suggestions?

4 hours ago, GoFlacco said:

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone can help me answer this since I can't find the answer anywhere else.

I am a recently graduated PA. My endgame position I would like to get into is emergency medicine. However, given the current climate with COVID (and probably pre-existing environment of EDs trying to hire experienced APPs), I have found it incredibly difficult, if not impossible, to find an EM position. I had applied to a variety of different positions, and after 5 months the only job to offer me a position was a private practice neurosurgery gig. I think I am going to accept (great salary, benefits, supervising physician seems awesome). However, I was wondering if this is kind of experience would benefit me at allto entry into emergency medicine down the line? Or if this would not make an impact at all? Any suggestions?

Any EM position is going to be difficult to find at the moment in the post COVID timeframe. I'd recommend a residency unless you have strong prior HCE in EM (ED Tech, paramedic, ED RN).

NSx experience won't hurt you necessarily, other than you won't be thinking in the EM mindset. Your differentials are going to float away, skills etc.

Not impossible by any means, people make the transition all the time, but if you want the best chance, go the residency route.

• Like 2

Agree with @MediMike. It's not going to hurt you, but when switching to EM they'll essentially think of you as a new grad, maybe slightly better, as there is very little cross over in skills. Go with a residency, a real one and not the cheap labor crap you get at team health or a lot of health systems, if you want a shot anytime soon in a desirable area. 

• Like 1