Hello,

I am looking for advice on salary for a Pa-C position in charge on a 16 bed Detox wing. I would be responsible for supervising a nurse and a CNA. Also, I would have to work some weekend, nights and some holidays.

1. What would be a good salary range for this dual medical / management role? 

2. The job only provides 16 days of ( lumping it all together) PTO, sick and national holiday and CME days off.  Should I ask for a higher compensation for this limited vacation package? 

thank you in advance! 

1. To give salary input we really would need to know more specifics like location, are you the only provider on site, etc.? Also, how many weekends, nights, and holidays?  That in and of itself is a huge factor.
  2. That PTO is awful...so in short, yes, you should get a significant pay increase.  Just to parse this out a bit, you said your PTO bank includes national holidays?  There are the usual BIG 6 of paid holidays, which is over 1/3rd of your PTO...add in 5 days of CME time and you have now used over 2/3rds of your PTO.  That is ludicrous!!  CME should ALWAYS be separate from your other PTO, and should be a minimum of 5 days.
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Kslight66 said:

Hello,

I am looking for advice on salary for a Pa-C position in charge on a 16 bed Detox wing. I would be responsible for supervising a nurse and a CNA. Also, I would have to work some weekend, nights and some holidays.

1. What would be a good salary range for this dual medical / management role? 

2. The job only provides 16 days of ( lumping it all together) PTO, sick and national holiday and CME days off.  Should I ask for a higher compensation for this limited vacation package? 

thank you in advance! 

What is your experience level?  This is a very different job for a new grad versus someone with a lot of experience...

As for the PTO

THAT IS DOWN RIGHT HORRIBLE!!

13 holidays a year pretty much eats up your PTO

The typical package I would go for right now

salary ______
Holiday's 10-13 days a year
Vacation - 3 weeks min as a new grad - 5 weeks is sweet
CME - 3-4 days
Sick/Personal 5-10 days (higher is in gov't employee)

Total time off typical contract - 7-8 weeks a year (including everything)

You are pretty much giving them a free 1-2 months of labor unless you are compensated HIGHLY you are looking at a substandard offer....

No the hard part - economy stinks, lots of people out of work, it is as they say "any port in the storm"

But realize you are hurting everyone by taking a job that is a crappy offer.....

What is the salary??  (if you are not a new grad salary for the position you describe should be approaching 150k)

So you are going to work

Thank you for both of your advice. They are helpful and I agree with all that you have both said.

1. I have 8 years of working experience. This was an initial interview so they did not go into the details of how many nts/wkend work requirements. Commute is 25 mins

2. The vacation package is horrible. The CEO ‘s excuse for the horrible vacation package was “ since we are a 7/24 facility and we can just closed for the holidays, we have 16 days off.. but you don’t have to work all of the holidays. “

3. Ventana you mentioned the 3wks vacation min. Is this typical or is just more true for some states? WI ( major hospitals) has 2 Wks vacation min for new grads. Thank you!

Holiday's 10-13 days a year
Vacation - 3 weeks min as a new grad - 5 weeks is sweet
CME - 3-4 days
Sick/Personal 5-10 days (higher is in gov't employee)

I work for a smaller hospital, but have 6 weeks PTO with 1 week CME, and other variety of available time for specific situations (e.g. 3 days bereavement time).

The least PTO I have ever had was 3 weeks, but still had another week for CME - and that was the first year and increased to 4 weeks the second year.  It increased beyond 4 weeks, but I don't recall the exact timeline as I left during my second year.

I know the much larger hospitals surrounding our somewhat rural area offer minimum 4 weeks, with another week for CME, but it increases from there annually.

So, OP, know that that PTO package you described is awful.  But, what would be your schedule and shift length?  While I don't think it is right, I know many EDs and UCs don't offer PTO (or significantly limited PTO) because admin thinks it's ok for someone to work extra shifts before and/or after vacation to make up missed shifts.  For example, you work three 12hr shifts per week, so you work 6 days one week to get the next week off...just stupid and a recipe for burnout.  You spend your vacation recovering rather than enjoying and actually decompressing from the rigors of medicine.

• Like 1

I think you should express your concerns and GET IN WRITING what the PTO is

I would strongly suggest them to NOT lump them all together

Ask them

1) how many holidays

2) how much Vacation

3) how much personal

4) how much sick

5) how much CME

Don't let them answer you get X hours in total - make them break it down so that they see how silly the offer is

and who knows maybe in this case they is more benefits there then they want to state....

It would also be interesting to know if you have has detox experience before. This is not cherry-picking but a specialty with it's own inherent problems and whe supervision is not management but normal duty for a PA in any clinic. I think that the owner would rather leave his line in the water to see if their are bigger fish to catch.