NHSC Loan Repayment awards

Have any LRP applicants heard about their awards yet? I know that they had >5000 applicants for ~1500 awards. I also know that they are awarding people based on the rating of their site. For those who work at a site with a really high score (mine is 17) have you heard anything about your award yet? If so, what is your site's HRSA score?

I applied during the first week of January and was initially told that I would know around 10-12 weeks later (April?). I have contacted them a few times but they are understandably vague about any kind of update regarding when the awards will be given out. I did receive an email that stated everyone would know no later than September. I was kinda hoping that someone out there had already heard back............

I personally haven't applied, but a good friend of mine working at a site in Kansas with a score of 16 hasn't heard yet and doesn't expect to hear until August/September which is when they make their decisions. The deadline for applicants is in May, so whoever told you you'd hear back in April was definitely mistaken!

so whoever told you you'd hear back in April was definitely mistaken!

That is part of my frustration actually. I was told over the phone by 2 different NHSC reps that my application would take 10-12 weeks for a decision, regardless of the end date in May. I applied during the 1st week of January. 12 weeks after my application date (1st week of May) I called the NHSC again and I was told that a decision on my application would be made within 2 weeks. I waited 3 weeks and called again at which point I was told the decision would be made some time in the next 2-3 weeks(same line as before). A few weeks later I received a generic email detailing the fact that they would let applicants know no later than September. I know for a fact that last year many of the LRP applicants knew about their award by May. I was hoping that would be the case again this year. Apparently I was wrong. I'm glad to know that others out there are still waiting as well. I feel like I have been strung along a little bit, if they had told me in January that I wouldn't know until September then I wouldn't have worried about it until then.

I am just curious if anyone is aware of someone getting funding with a site score of 13 or lower. My finance would be applying for the NHSC LRP in December and her site has a score of 13. Trying to decide whether to wait it out in hopes of getting an award or taking out a home equity loan now and paying off her student loans to save a lot of interest (3.25% vs 7.25%). I appreciate any advice anyone can provide.

I think it is actually $20K a year if score is 13 or lower but it seems to change every year. While I know that getting funding is possible in theory, given that funding has run out the last couple of years and there were over 5000 applicants while only 1500 received funding last year....I'm trying to get an idea if a site score of 13 will likely get funded or if all of the money will probably already have been used up.

My site has a score of 16 and I completed my application on the second day that the site was accepting them…I was notified of my award in the first week of June, but my contract start date was the first week of May. So if your getting responses like " you should keep checking your email" or "you should hear something in the next few weeks" like I was, then I would take it as a good sign that you likely are getting an award. Good luck guys

My site has a score of 16 and I completed my application on the second day that the site was accepting them…I was notified of my award in the first week of June, but my contract start date was the first week of May. So if your getting responses like " you should keep checking your email" or "you should hear something in the next few weeks" like I was, then I would take it as a good sign that you likely are getting an award. Good luck guys

So you have heard back about awards for this year? Or was this from a previous year?

Did you already sign the contract and give in your banking info?

I applied the first week of January, 2012. I haven't heard anything back from them yet beyond being told that my application is still under review. I called yesterday and was told that I will probably hear something soon, but he couldn't make any guarantees. Basically said I will hear back no later than Sept. 30th, but it seemed like there was more he wanted to tell me but couldn't....... Keeping my fingers crossed for it. I will sign the contract as soon as it is offered, IF it is offered. I keep telling myself that a site score of 17 is really good. We'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the middle of my second year with NHSC, and I can tell you the application "hurry up and wait" process is frustrating to say the least. It is, however, all worth it when you get the money deposited into your bank account. I still have considerable student loans, and will be applying for a continuation of my contract this winter and I hope that process goes smoother. I hope that you hear good news soon!

• 1 month later...
Did you already sign the contract and give in your banking info?

Some encouraging news! I was informed last night that my application was in the final approval stages and I was asked to give my banking info and sign the contract. I hope that this means I will be approved soon. There was a small SNAFU with my application regarding my job. I was hired at a site that has an HPSA score of 17. The office that hired me has 2 locations, both of them carry the same score. I started at one site with the understanding that I would be transferred to the other site after 8 months. The NHSC initially rejected my application since I did not apply within 6 months of my start date at the site that I would end up working at permanently. I was able to contact them and have my application reinstated based on the fact that the 2 sites are under the same umbrella, since they both have the same score it should not affect my application. They agreed and reinstated my application. It has been a frustrating experience but hopefully I'm in the final stages of receiving my award. Fingers crossed.

Archived