New Grad Offer - FM/Cardiology/UC combined - HELP

This was my first interview and my first job offer, and I have no idea how to go about this process.

Part-time position in outpatient Cardiology. Includes part-time work in Family Med and per diem work in Urgent Care. The number of hours I work will be determined during training. The physician I interviewed with said because of Covid, he is uncertain about the hours I'd work (I ended up emailing him stating that I'd like to work as much as I can, over 30 hours would be ideal for me. No reply yet.)

The terms:

• $92,000 salary prorated to the amount of hours worked per pay period (this will equate to about $44.23/hour)
  • $50/hour for UC (weekends)
  • 2 months of full-time training with a cut salary of $50,000/year.
  • On-call present for the Cardiology portion 
  • Malpractice coverage with tail. 
  • 3-year contract (120 day notice)
  • Non-compete for one year after termination (25 mile radius for Cardiology and 15-mile radius for PC/UC)
  • Credentialing will be processed by two of the major hospitals in the city. 

Since this is a part-time position, no benefits are offered...however, he did state what the benefits would be if worked full-time. Possible transition to full-time sometime next year if business picks up by spring/summer. 

• Benefits active only AFTER one year of full-time work, which includes 3 weeks PTO, $1000 CME
  • Health insurance active AFTER 3 months of full time work. Premium split 80/20, with a $2700 annual deductible and a $1200 HSA per year 

I am located in Michigan, and look to stay in the Lansing area. I've been applying around the mid-michigan and southeastern michigan for the past two months, and I JUST graduated. The job market is pretty saturated on the east side of the state for sure. Because of Covid, I don't know how my job offer compares in the current market. I really liked the fact that the practice was new-grad friendly, the doctor who I'd be training/working with was very sincere, and it seemed like an overall honest practice to me. 

After reading about the "DON'T DO THESE NEW GRADS" pinned post, some of the terms listed above hit those red flags, such as "no benefits for xx months." There seems to be a lot of uncertainty for future of my current position because of Covid. I don't want to disservice our profession as many have outright spoken about.

I have no other leads in the job market right now. I don't know if I should decline the offer and wait it out a bit more for something better, or accept it and try to negotiate. If I negotiate, I don't know exactly what to negotiate on. My gut tells me I could try to negotiate a higher salary point because of my lack benefits, but I'm scared he'll turn me away because he'll think I'm too expensive or something...He has yet to draft up a contract, but he is waiting for me to accept the offer in order to do so. 

My one other concern is the 3-year contract. My plan was if I took this position, I would leave after 2 years. Is the length of the contract something I can negotiate? Are there any consequences if I decide to leave prior to the contract renewal?

Any input is appreciated.

As a new grad, you’re priority should be looking for a place where you can learn and have good mentors and teachers. Pay will come later. Looks like you can learn a lot from this place since it offers opportunity In urgent care, family practice, and a speciality in cardiology.

However, since it’s only part time this may hinder your growth in your profession plus it may affect you from looking for a full time position. 
I also tell new grads to try to work in places away from where they live or graduated from. This will really open up more opportunities, gives you new prospective, shows mobility, plus you can always go back home. Not a lot of new grads see this opportunity. After graduating from a tough program, it feels like you are given keys to go see the world.

12 minutes ago, AnchorandCaduceus said:

As a new grad, you’re priority should be looking for a place where you can learn and have good mentors and teachers. Pay will come later. Looks like you can learn a lot from this place since it offers opportunity In urgent care, family practice, and a speciality in cardiology.

However, since it’s only part time this may hinder your growth in your profession plus it may affect you from looking for a full time position. 
I also tell new grads to try to work in places away from where they live or graduated from. This will really open up more opportunities, gives you new prospective, shows mobility, plus you can always go back home. Not a lot of new grads see this opportunity. After graduating from a tough program, it feels like you are given keys to go see the world.

Thank you for replying. I appreciate that you put it situation in the perspective of a new graduate. I don't want to be desperate, but at the same time I know that this won't be my forever job. And I do agree that I do have the potential to learn A LOT from this position! 

The only reason I want to stay in my current location is due to my partner. He can't exactly leave his job at the moment, but we plan to venture elsewhere for our jobs together in 2-3 years.  So, location is definitely a priority to me right now. 

If no other choice or another to compare it with, I would take this offer and bump up the pay if you can. It seems like that is the only one you can negotiate. For the other benefits you would need to wait a bit. It’s a bit difficult to negotiate a part-time position in low volume patient but highly saturated job market. You may have to live like a student for another couple of months. 
Any chance of non clinical full time positions? Drug safety in a pharmaceutical facility. Or work in a federal facility such as detention center or correctional facility? These are great places for new grad. 

On 8/14/2020 at 11:41 PM, AnchorandCaduceus said:

As a new grad, you’re priority should be looking for a place where you can learn and have good mentors and teachers. Pay will come later.

Agree. 

OP, caution about the "On-call present for the Cardiology portion." Please make sure you understand what this will entail. 

Also, if they don't want to guarantee you full-time hours, they can shove the non-compete. My opinion. I'd ask for that to be removed. 
I realize it's a very tough job market right now. My only concern would be that it seems like your duties (and potential MD/APP mentors) are quite fractured between three practice areas. That weakens the argument that this job is great for learning and building your foundation as a new grad. The guy interviewing you seemed sincere, and he's the one you'd be doing some training with to begin with, but are you certain that you will have a high degree of contact with him throughout the rest of your practice there? Doubtful, if you're in three specialities part-time. I'm assuming this is a health system or group practice that is using you as a float position? Seems like a very strange setup. Are they using you to cover for anticipated employment breaks for their other APPs, eg maternity leave? I'm not sure this is a multiyear play for you. 
Again, tough job market, understandable if you feel you need to take it if you haven't gotten other bites, especially if you have debts to repay or other pressing financial obligations

3 hours ago, seekingtruths said:

Agree. 

OP, caution about the "On-call present for the Cardiology portion." Please make sure you understand what this will entail. 

Also, if they don't want to guarantee you full-time hours, they can shove the non-compete. My opinion. I'd ask for that to be removed. 
I realize it's a very tough job market right now. My only concern would be that it seems like your duties (and potential MD/APP mentors) are quite fractured between three practice areas. That weakens the argument that this job is great for learning and building your foundation as a new grad. The guy interviewing you seemed sincere, and he's the one you'd be doing some training with to begin with, but are you certain that you will have a high degree of contact with him throughout the rest of your practice there? Doubtful, if you're in three specialities part-time. I'm assuming this is a health system or group practice that is using you as a float position? Seems like a very strange setup. Are they using you to cover for anticipated employment breaks for their other APPs, eg maternity leave? I'm not sure this is a multiyear play for you. 
Again, tough job market, understandable if you feel you need to take it if you haven't gotten other bites, especially if you have debts to repay or other pressing financial obligations

Thank you for your insight. Yes, this is a group practice, and this position was initially created because of an APP going on maternity leave coming January. I definitely appreciate your counterpoints to this position -- I haven't really given thought that three specialties part-time would actually be adverse to my foundation as a new grad. 

I am meeting with the MD later today for a second interview. I have questions lined up, and hopefully I will be able to negotiate the non-compete clause (and the probationary period prior to benefits IF I end up working full-time). If I could adjust the terms of the contract that I'm mainly concerned about, then I'll likely take this job. I will keep you guys updated. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I wasn't able to negotiate many of the terms, but I was able to find out that the transition to full time was guaranteed. I was given a job offer yesterday! It's not the perfect first job, but I decided to accept the offer. Don't think I'll stay for more than 2 years anyway. Thanks for your input, everyone!