Prescription Authority Problem

Hello,

Does anyone have information for prescription authority of medical assistants in NC? My situation at a family medicine practice is that our supervising physician authorized an MA to send refills on behalf of the APPs/mid-levels. However, we were never told about this. The MA was under the impression that we were aware and okay with this happening. I would guess each practitioner has to give the "okay" for the MA to refill prescriptions, right? Or is there some way the supervising physician can override this? The medications are still being filled on behalf of the mid-levels with our names on the scripts/medications. Is this more of a legal issue or ethical/workplace issue?

Thank you

On 8/13/2020 at 1:08 PM, notyetnever said:

Hello,

Does anyone have information for prescription authority of medical assistants in NC? My situation at a family medicine practice is that our supervising physician authorized an MA to send refills on behalf of the APPs/mid-levels. However, we were never told about this. The MA was under the impression that we were aware and okay with this happening. I would guess each practitioner has to give the "okay" for the MA to refill prescriptions, right? Or is there some way the supervising physician can override this? The medications are still being filled on behalf of the mid-levels with our names on the scripts/medications. Is this more of a legal issue or ethical/workplace issue?

Thank you

...what? This seems absolutely insane to me. There is no way that anyone should be authorizing a prescription on your behalf without your knowledge or approval.

Sounds like both a legal and an ethical issue to me.

• Upvote 1