Academic dismissal during COVID times

Hi, 

I am a second semester PA student potentially facing academic dismissal. I entered this semester on academic probation with a 2.8 gpa and I needed a 3.2 to bring it up. It looks like I will end up with a 3.1 or so after taking a hard hit in pathophysiology with a C. I'm extremely disappointed by online school- I'm very social and an interactive learner. I feel isolated, disengaged, and it's so hard to stay motivated. I often don't feel like I'm in school.  I was off to a rough start at the beginning of the semester but really turned things around in every single class- I even scored 96, 98, 100 on 3 anatomy exams. But then a technical difficulty took 15 minutes away from a clin med GI exam (and I failed it with a 66). And then I was affected by a storm on the east coast where I lost power for 3 days before finals week. It was nearly impossible to study after my laptop died- I use online Ebooks, powerpoints, word docs etc. I live alone and due to online school I live far from other classmates (about a 3 hours drive) Additionally, all bookstores/public areas are closed to the public due to covid- and this is strictly enforced. I'm trying to stay positive but I feel so unlucky. 

Additionally, I'm getting a C in patho and may even have to take a remediation exam for the course. I've REALLY struggled with the huge amount of detailed material. On the bright side, my faculty and program director have been extremely supportive of me over zoom meetings etc. I often meet with our academic coordinator who helps struggling students and she has been very motivating. It seems that they all want me to succeed. I also have a good relationship with my program director. She has told me before that if I'm under a 3.0 this summer, I can appeal the dismissal to the university and see if they will let me stay. 

I also need to ask myself if this is right for me. I've struggled in PA school since the start, I've never been an intense studier and my grades have been sporadically high and sporadically low. I wish I was consistent. I have anxiety and depression as well and was gut checked by the first few low scores of my life at the beginning of PA school. I never fully regained my confidence and always question if I belong. I just don't know if I have the level of commitment, dedication, motivation, and grit to make it through this program... even if I have the "intelligence." But on the flip side... what would I even do? How would I pay my loans? Nowhere is really hiring, the last clinic I worked at is still closed due to covid. 

Should I appeal due to difficulties with online learning (and technical difficulties)? I imagine they'd be more lenient during COVID times. What are your thoughts? I'd appreciate any advice. 

Your note (the first one you have ever posted on the forum) is kind of all over the map. Part of it is all about the kinds of situations that can happen in these times, part of it is about whether you are up to being in PA school, and part of it is about whether or not you want to stay in PA school.  Get control over your emotions and start working these questions ONE AT A TIME.

I suggest that you answer the existential questions first (i.e., the ones I listed above but in reverse order.) You may be able to get some special treatment for the times (switching to distance learning in the middle of the term, etc) but only if you're sure you still want to be there.  Decide that first.

Some advice about the life ahead of you: You need to realize that your "druthers" (e.g., "I've never been an intense studier," etc.) will mean nothing in life. You are where you are and you are doing what you are doing. You get to decide what you want to attempt next (taking into account your druthers if you'd like), but you don't get to set the ground rules. Nor should you expect that you can get through life without adjusting your approach to new problems now and then.

So you may be in a solvable situation but not until you decide what you want to do next. Good luck.

Edited by UGoLong

55 minutes ago, UGoLong said:

Your note (the first one you have ever posted on the forum) is kind of all over the map. Part of it is all about the kinds of situations that can happen in these times, part of it is about whether you are up to being in PA school, and part of it is about whether or not you want to stay in PA school.  Get control over your emotions and start working these questions ONE AT A TIME.

I suggest that you answer the existential questions first (i.e., the ones I listed above but in reverse order.) You may be able to get some special treatment for the times (switching to distance learning in the middle of the term, etc) but only if you're sure you still want to be there.  Decide that first.

Some advice about the life ahead of you: You need to realize that your "druthers" (e.g., "I've never been an intense studier," etc.) will mean nothing in life. You are where you are and you are doing what you are doing. You get to decide what you want to attempt next (taking into account your druthers if you'd like), but you don't get to set the ground rules. Nor should you expect that you can get through life without adjusting your approach to new problems now and then.

So you may be in a solvable situation but not until you decide what you want to do next. Good luck.

Hi,

Thank you for your time and really thoughtful reply. I do need to address the existential thoughts first, and then the situation second. 

I admit that I haven't been giving it 100% consistently- a lot has happened. I went through a rough break up at the beginning of the summer and then this past week a close family friend died (late 50s, heart attack). Yesterday, my dad had a sudden retinal detachment and ended up in the ER. Scary news during finals week.

All of that is in addition to technical difficulties affecting 2 of my exams- things that would NEVER happen if I had been proctored in person. We're proctored over the phone (they watch us on zoom), and during 1 test my phone shut down due to the heat in the apartment. Instead of focusing on my GI clin med exam, I spent 10-15 minutes trying to turn my phone back on. I was in a bit a frenzy/panic wondering the entire time if they would think I was cheating with the phone off. Then I failed it with a 66, despite having all high Bs in clin med before that. I took a HUGE hit to my grade with that test and it's worth 6 credits.

But my biggest hit by far is the extremely low grade in patho. I've clearly had a lot of problems and sought out a lot of help, too- phone calls with a therapist, meetings with the academic coordinator, meetings with the patho tutor/patho professor. I scored a C in that last semester too and this semester may even need to remediate it, like I said. 

I have made improvements. My first Pharm exam was in the 60s but my second was a 92 (I scored #9 in my class of 42 students). Went from a 75% on my first anatomy exam to a 96, 98, 100. 

Thank you for your time.