Urgent Care Job Offer

Any insight on this offer for urgent care? In a large city in Kentucky. I'm not very good at negotiating and not really sure where to go with it. Thanks! 

80 hours of scheduled patient care per pay period. 
Base salary of $105,000
Up to $2000 CME a year
RVUs: 105,000  divided by 30 = 3500 wRVUs. 3500 divided by 4 = 875 wRVU quarterly target. Max $7500 per quarter or $30,000 annually

Assuming 25 2 week pay periods/year (i.e. 2 weeks off) that's 2,000 hours of work, making your hourly rate $52.50.  That's fair if W2, poor if 1099.  Benefits?  Medmal - should include tail.  CME is OK but not great.

Hard to tell what the bonus structure will do for you.  It depends heavily on how many patients come through the door and also how many procedures you do: lac's, FB's, I&D's, etc.

For comparison, 5 years ago I was making $55/hour as a 1099 employee in a high volume low acuity urgent care in northern KY.  That hourly rate is about what the minute clinics pay.

Edited by ohiovolffemtp

On 8/5/2020 at 11:23 PM, ohiovolffemtp said:

Assuming 25 2 week pay periods/year (i.e. 2 weeks off) that's 2,000 hours of work, making your hourly rate $52.50.  That's fair if W2, poor if 1099.  Benefits?  Medmal - should include tail.  CME is OK but not great.

Hard to tell what the bonus structure will do for you.  It depends heavily on how many patients come through the door and also how many procedures you do: lac's, FB's, I&D's, etc.

For comparison, 5 years ago I was making $55/hour as a 1099 employee in a high volume low acuity urgent care in northern KY.  That hourly rate is about what the minute clinics pay.

It’s a job for a hospital system that is starting up some new urgent cares. So I have a feeling i won’t meet the RVU requirements (which I have no concept of) since it likely won’t be busy for a while. I’m wondering if I should try to negotiate the pay up some. And the offer letter didn’t even include vacation time, so I’m glad you mentioned that because I hadn’t thought of it. 

1 hour ago, AbeTheBabe said:

Sounds like it's a W2 job? How much PTO do you get? 401k matching?

I'm really confused about the bonus. What is 105,000 RVUs? Why are you dividing it by 30? 3,500 wRVUs is something a PA can usually make in 6-12 months, not in a quarter.

So it’s not on my offer letter, more just in their benefits package but looks like after 3 months I get 15 days annually. But there’s another thing that has hours accrual at anywhere from 120-240 annually depending on which one I am. So I just have to find out. 

As far as the RVU thing... that’s how they had it written on the offer letter so that’s how I typed it up. I think it’s 3500 annually RVU or 875 quarterly? 

21 hours ago, emtPA said:

So it’s not on my offer letter, more just in their benefits package but looks like after 3 months I get 15 days annually. But there’s another thing that has hours accrual at anywhere from 120-240 annually depending on which one I am. So I just have to find out. 

As far as the RVU thing... that’s how they had it written on the offer letter so that’s how I typed it up. I think it’s 3500 annually RVU or 875 quarterly? 

Oh ok that's not bad then. Look into their complete benefits package. Also, that RVU is attainable as long as you are consistently semi-busy.

• Upvote 1