When / how to ask for a raise during COVID

New grad, landed an IM outpatient job 3 months ago (I consider myself extremely lucky to have done so during peak shutdown). Currently I'm at 80k, no benefits (no healthcare, no CME, no license/DEA reimbursement, no sick leave, no vacation, etc), first PA in the office, in a fairly high COL area on the east coast.

The situation has definitely changed since then. The office is back to pre-covid patient numbers and I am starting to see patients in 20-40min slots (simple vs new), fully booked. I by no means claim to be a fully autonomous revenue stream or anything at this point, I definitely ask for input on a few cases a day and run any treatment plans I have questions about by my SP. That said, I do think I'm still getting the raw end of the stick, and once September hits and student loans hit me hard I'll be in a rough place.

I know I need a better deal. How / when would you suggest I move forward and try to negotiate?

You could start by asking for a 6 months performance review.  Once you've received that feedback - and made sure that your doc has seen that you appreciate, understand, and will act on that feed back you can ask: "am I making you any money yet?".  Yes, you have a very poor deal, but find out where you stand before you ask for anything more.  For example, if you hear that you have to see x patients per week before you're "profitable", get close to that before you ask for a raise.

• Like 1

That was initially my plan going into it, but my expenses are catching up to me fast with loans starting in a month or so. I'll try my best to keep a level head and wait for the 6 months. Right now I see on average 22-24 patients a day (4 10's, and I get 40min slots for new pts), I would definitely be afraid of squeezing too many more in.

My other idea is to look for something part time in the meantime since I have 3 days off a week. Of course, in this job market I don't see that happening easily.

You are getting hosed. Period. No health care and only getting 80k? That's crap. I'd look for something else while maintaining the status quo with your current gig. And frankly, I'd do it all the way to the point you are offered a position at a different place. At that point I'd go to your current job and tell them what you want or you're walking. Might sound slimy,, but your situation is one of the shittiest I've seen on this forum, and I've seen a lot.

2 hours ago, EastCoastPA said:

So you're saying find another job and get an offer before asking for anything?

Well, in your case, I would say just look for another job. Any place that would treat you this way in the beginning is just going to keep looking for ways to screw you. You should just leave, but you could give them a shot by asking for some benefits and raise closer to the salary average in your area, then getting another offer and giving them one last chance. Though be prepared for retaliation from someone that would treat you so despicably 

Just to give you some contrast, my employer tells me if I ever even think about leaving, tell them so they can make it right. Be somewhere that really wants you.

1 hour ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

Well, in your case, I would say just look for another job. Any place that would treat you this way in the beginning is just going to keep looking for ways to screw you. You should just leave, but you could give them a shot by asking for some benefits and raise closer to the salary average in your area, then getting another offer and giving them one last chance. Though be prepared for retaliation from someone that would treat you so despicably 

Just to give you some contrast, my employer tells me if I ever even think about leaving, tell them so they can make it right. Be somewhere that really wants you.

I know your advice is right, and in any other situation I would do that without hesitation. Right now I'm just terrified of the current job market only having 3 months of experience. I know barely any of my classmates have jobs locked down after 5 months, and many of the ones who do are currently furloughed/frozen. That said, I guess there's more of an upside to looking for another job before asking, considering if I use any strong language I can end up job/homeless lol.

15 minutes ago, EastCoastPA said:

I know your advice is right, and in any other situation I would do that without hesitation. Right now I'm just terrified of the current job market only having 3 months of experience. I know barely any of my classmates have jobs locked down after 5 months, and many of the ones who do are currently furloughed/frozen. That said, I guess there's more of an upside to looking for another job before asking, considering if I use any strong language I can end up job/homeless lol.

When I left my first job after the military, I had another lined up first. I didn’t give them a chance because I knew that the culture they developed there would never change. Now I’m happier than ever with a great team!

these don’t sound like very reasonable people, as that would require the start of negotiations to begin at a place of reason. Just keep your job and start looking.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, MyNameWasUsed said:

80k with no benefits....... Please start looking for a new job and don't even consider renegotiating this one.

agree. I made 70k as a new grad in the 90s. by 2000 I was making > 80k/yr with full benefits. 

I hear you all loud and clear. The only things holding me back lately have been worrying about my resume / what to say when applying with 3mo exp and the fact that Im currently covering 5 10's while a doc is out for 3 more weeks.