18 month rule and no sch II priscription ........

I know this is going to come off as just a complete schmuck thing to say but a little spell check goes a long ways. You are addressing a group of PAs and other professionals who want to support you but when the title of your post is a phonetic mistake... i and e are not close to each other on the keyboard, I don't think it was a simple typo. So when you go forward to address your state's medical board, please, take a moment and give your post a second glance, or even better, get another pair of eyes on it.

Thanks and good luck

EMEDPA nailed it... As a UK student, I'm in much the same boat. I love Lexington, but this state's restrictive practice laws are going to drive away a lot of good PAs, myself included. Change seems to be very slow in this state, but if you want to help make it happen join KAPA, go to legislative events, contact representatives... There are a lot of people working very hard to make Kentucky more PA friendly.

In Oklahoma we can't write Sched II medications at all. We also must have a supervising physician on the premises for the first year, after that only 10% of the time.

Leeg- If I am not mistaken, Oklahoma PA's can prescribe Schedule II Narcs as long as a protocol is in place.

See Oklahoma Medical Board here: http://www.okmedicalboard.org/physician_assistants/download/15/PALAW.pdf

Discogenic,

I have worked as a PA in KY for 13 years. Nurse Practitioners have quite a leg up on PA's here and can have independent practice and ability to write schedule II prescriptions immediately. We introduced a bill this past spring asking for equal prescribing abilities, eliminating the supervisory rules for new grads and to cut back on co-signatures (all of which are already in place for NP's). The bill was unfortunately introduced at a bad time because KY has been in the spotlight for prescription/narcotic drug abuse and the legislators were passing new laws to restrict what physicians are allowed to prescribe. Yes, we have a big narcotic drug problem here, however, much of the pipeline starts in Florida. The bill in its entirety was struck down and once again PA's in KY lose out, with their jobs going to NP's.

Does anyone know of any instances where a state has gone backwards in terms of PA regulation? In other words, have PAs actually lost ground anywhere? (Whereas in KY PAs simply weren't able to advance legislatively, which is bad enough)

And what's the argument that NPs have been able to successfully make to avoid the above restrictions? More overall experience upon graduation since they were nurses prior to NP school?

Does anyone know of any instances where a state has gone backwards in terms of PA regulation? In other words, have PAs actually lost ground anywhere? (Whereas in KY PAs simply weren't able to advance legislatively, which is bad enough)

PA practice ownership in TX took a step backward recently with the passage of legislation that made it possible for PAs to be part-owners in a practice but now prevents them from owning their own practice and hiring an SP. What baffles me is that the TAPA leadership(at least partly) seems to think it's a step forward.

And what's the argument that NPs have been able to successfully make to avoid the above restrictions? More overall experience upon graduation since they were nurses prior to NP school?

I was told - and granted I am not sure where the truth lies - by a certain representative that NP's basically had a stronger voice and more money to allocate to push their bills through. When the PA bill was submitted to the legislature this past fall, we were told that we could get the bill through - IF we had enough money. The optometrists in KY just got a bill passed that allows them to do certain laser surgeries and other procedures and our PA's were told that their bill went through because of .... shall we say - certain donations???? And, if we wanted our bill to go through...... well, what it came down to was - we had to basically "buy" their vote. We were actually given a certain amount that the PA's would have to come up with to pass the bill.

And, to think that Pharma guidelines say that "I/providers" are immoral enough that we cannot have a pen or a pad of paper because it might influence us to write a prescription that was unnecessary.

As part of the UK PA class of 2013, we went to Frankfort to speak with legislators this past winter about the bill. The first thing the congressman asked me and my small group was how many NPs he had in his district and how they would feel if PAs got this bill passed. Basically he let us know that all he wanted to do was keep his job and didn't want to upset any NPs. I inferred that he wanted to keep his votes regardless of what it meant for healthcare in his underserved state. Gotta love politicians...

Guest Paula

After reading all the posts to this thread I have come to the conclusion that WI and MI are great states to practice as a PA. Come to snow country.

Paula,

I am planning on coming to "snow country" but am looking to head west instead of north. :) I love my small rural KY town, my co workers and my patients, but when we get our farm fixed up enough to sell, I will be looking for jobs elsewhere.

As part of the UK PA class of 2013, we went to Frankfort to speak with legislators this past winter about the bill. The first thing the congressman asked me and my small group was how many NPs he had in his district and how they would feel if PAs got this bill passed. Basically he let us know that all he wanted to do was keep his job and didn't want to upset any NPs. I inferred that he wanted to keep his votes regardless of what it meant for healthcare in his underserved state. Gotta love politicians...

Disturbing, but not surprising at all. It's going to be very difficult for PAs to advance themselves in this state because of that mindset. Somehow, probably thanks to the nursing lobby, a lot of legislators have been convinced that PAs are a poor man's NP or something. Isn't there something like 800 PAs in KY and only about 400 in KAPA? That number will have to grow. It's the only way to get recognized.

Archived