The ugly side of PA school... Student loans????

I am fully aware of the massive debt I am getting into w/ PA school. I'm not sure my credit score exactly, but due to personal issues and the economy in general I was forced to foreclose on a home 2 years ago. Other than that, never missed a pay,ent on anything.

Is it possible to get denied for a loan or will they must charge me a higher interest rage? Any tips on managing the student loans? I've seen various scholarships at certain schools, And I'll def check them out, but most likely big loans are headed my way .

Thanks everyone!!

Sorry but I cannot feel too deeply for your situation. You are guilty of overspending, living beyond your means and consequently wrecking your personal credit. You're smart enough to get into PA school but lack skills in managing money? How about this novel idea...work 3 jobs, thats 80 hours/week, for one and half years, and live on nothing. For me, that meant, NO cleaning lady, NO eating out, NO private country club membership, only 1 gym membership instead of 3, lots of biking to work, using a bike trailer behind my bike to haul my 4 and 6 years olds to daycare, NO golf tourmanments, NO triathlon competitions, selling one of my two $5000 tri bikes, NO new clothes, lots of trading out for services, like I give you 3 personal training sessions in exchange for a haircut and color..... BAMM! ALL OF THE SUDDEN, You can CASH FLOW your tuition! That's what I did when I got the rejection letter. This time they better let me in! This is written with the intent of encouragement, not finger pointing...

Sorry but I cannot feel too deeply for your situation. You are guilty of overspending, living beyond your means and consequently wrecking your personal credit.

Despite your intention, you know absolutely NOTHING about this person and your response reflects an attitude of self righteousness rather than encouragement. When you start practicing medicine, you are going to need to learn how to set aside the personal gratification you receive from pushing your Dave Ramsey mission.

• Administrator
Despite your intention, you know absolutely NOTHING about this person and your response reflects an attitude of self righteousness rather than encouragement. When you start practicing medicine, you are going to need to learn how to set aside the personal gratification you receive from pushing your Dave Ramsey mission.

This is at least as inappropriate as the post to which it replied. Please be civil both to posters who arrive with problems that might seem to have been avoidable in the past with better decision making, and to those who point that out. Come to think of it, how about just being respectful to all other posters all the time?

Financial common sense is not something people are born with. The financial services industry caters to students who have needs without current means to pay, and to consumers who don't understand that debt is not in their best interest. Debt is like obesity: the nation as a whole is struggling with it, and many providers or would-be providers also struggle with it ourselves.

The reality is that that foreclosure will likely increase the OP's interest rates on private loans, regardless of whether or not there was a good reason behind it, or even make them unavailable. That is, unless the current administration's overhaul of financial aid has eliminated credit risk input in the decision making process, of course.

This is at least as inappropriate as the post to which it replied. Please be civil both to posters who arrive with problems that might seem to have been avoidable in the past with better decision making, and to those who point that out. Come to think of it, how about just being respectful to all other posters all the time?

Financial common sense is not something people are born with. The financial services industry caters to students who have needs without current means to pay, and to consumers who don't understand that debt is not in their best interest. Debt is like obesity: the nation as a whole is struggling with it, and many providers or would-be providers also struggle with it ourselves.

The reality is that that foreclosure will likely increase the OP's interest rates on private loans, regardless of whether or not there was a good reason behind it, or even make them unavailable. That is, unless the current administration's overhaul of financial aid has eliminated credit risk input in the decision making process, of course.

My comment is not toward a plea for financial common sense. The fact of the matter is that the responder has no clue what caused the foreclosure. I know a woman who recently went through foreclosure because her son was hit by a car and will never be the same. On top of the tremendous bills, this woman had to quit her job and be a full-time caretaker for her son. That doesn't exactly pay the same bills as her previous profession. Her situation has nothing to do with common financial sense. By what the OP posted there is no way of telling why she went through the foreclosure. The assumption that it was the OP just being irresponsible might be a statistically safe assumption, but until there is actual knowledge of the situation, it is an inappropriate and potentially offensive assumption. So to respond with a statement of a purposeful lack of compassion and a stern lesson in wise money management seems a little premature. I don't think my response was inappropriate given the circumstances. I agree with you about keeping comments civil, but I will defend a person's dignity if I feel it to be appropriate.

Honestly, there is no need to be so judgmental. The OP was asking if anyone knew the answer to his/her question. They didn't ask your personal opinion about their financial situation. I'm sure OP is fully aware of the events that led to the foreclosure, whether they were preventable or not. My mother taught me to be silent unless I can say something nice/respectful. I can't imagine that being quick to judge will serve a medical provider well.

Sorry, to the OP. I have no answer to the question. I'm trying to figure out this loan thing as well. Interest rates are absurd.

Honestly, there is no need to be so judgmental. The OP was asking if anyone knew the answer to his/her question. They didn't ask your personal opinion about their financial situation. I'm sure OP is fully aware of the events that led to the foreclosure, whether they were preventable or not. My mother taught me to be silent unless I can say something nice/respectful. I can't imagine that being quick to judge will serve a medical provider well.

Sorry, to the OP. I have no answer to the question. I'm trying to figure out this loan thing as well. Interest rates are absurd.

Tuition at some institutions is approaching absurd as well.

Did you look into working with the national health service corps or some government agencies? Or maybe some scholarships? I know that Ill probably do a couple years or so with them to help curve some of my ridiculous loan debt from undergrad and coming grad school = (

Or a P instead of the T. That would have been the best description.:;;D:

Wow we've got a bunch of 2nd grade comedians around here. Since when did "adding a P instead of a T" become a joke in a professional public forum? Please... you're trying to get into a professional healthcare career; start acting like it. Rape jokes aren't "cool" in case nobody mentioned that to you.

OP, have you been accepted to school yet? Usually the school will provide you with a "what worked" from the previous class. I'm sure they've had a student in your shoes before. If they want you in their program, they'll assist you in finding "their" money.

Sorry but I cannot feel too deeply for your situation. You are guilty of overspending, living beyond your means and consequently wrecking your personal credit. You're smart enough to get into PA school but lack skills in managing money? How about this novel idea...work 3 jobs, thats 80 hours/week, for one and half years, and live on nothing. For me, that meant, NO cleaning lady, NO eating out, NO private country club membership, only 1 gym membership instead of 3, lots of biking to work, using a bike trailer behind my bike to haul my 4 and 6 years olds to daycare, NO golf tourmanments, NO triathlon competitions, selling one of my two $5000 tri bikes, NO new clothes, lots of trading out for services, like I give you 3 personal training sessions in exchange for a haircut and color..... BAMM! ALL OF THE SUDDEN, You can CASH FLOW your tuition! That's what I did when I got the rejection letter. This time they better let me in! This is written with the intent of encouragement, not finger pointing...

Wow... This was so highly inappropriate on so many levels , I cannot even find the words to respond. Swimbikerun, I didn't realize that I had asked your judgemental opinion on my financial situation of which you know absolutely nothing. I am sorry that you feel the need to belittle and degrade others. I thought this was a place to support one another in achieving our dream of becoming a PA?

To those of you offering suggestions, thank you so much! I want to be as prepared as possible as I move forward. I have never had to apply for student loans and really just needed some words of advice from someone who may have a little more knowledge on the subject. I truly appreciate that and will be looking into these resources. Good lick to all!

Corpsman-

I have not been accepted yet, but have been planning ahead with tuition and living costs. I noticed that some schools offered a grant for $44k/student ( I believe they choose 5 students tot receive it?) through HRSA. I was curious if anyone knew of similar programs. I'll def check out the Stafford loan and see what kinds of scholarships may be out there. Thanks again!

Archived