Help with contract & negotiations please

Hello everyone, I recently received a contract for employment and had some questions.

During the interview, it was brought up by the SP that he was very busy and that I'll probably be working anywhere from 8-12 hours a day, including every other weekend.

This is a salaried position and in the contract, there is no mention of minimum hours expected or any clear delineation of hours that I'll be working daily/weekly, no mention of any calls (although I don't think he takes calls).

Also, Malpractice is covered, but doesn't mention tail coverage.

Other benefits:

• Health insurance (no dental, life, vision)
  • PTO 3 weeks
  • CME $500
  • 1 year contract (90 day notice)
  • 100k salary

Yes I know benefit package is subpar. But I am a new grad and the job market is terrible, so I can deal with it for 1 year. But I don't want to be working ~80 hours every week including weekends for that 1 year.

I would have to talk to the SP about contract negotiation, but how would I go about doing that? Email or phone call? What else should I talk about?

Thank you everyone.

Call or go in person. Its alot harder to turn someone down than with an email. 100k for 40 hours isn’t bad for first job, for 80 hours its terrible. Like you said, almost everything about the package is subpar. I would either propose an hourly rate instead of salary, or a salary for 40 hours per week and then a predetermined per hour rate for every hour beyond the 40. Also, have a schedule for your hours in your contract.  CME minimum should be 1500. Ask if they will pay for licensing fees etc. 

Edited by marktheshark89
  • Upvote 1