Application Cycle of 2020-2021

7 hours ago, DyouvillePA said:

What major was your 4.0 in?  Did you take all the core prerequisites? (bio, chem, micro, gross, ORGO, biochem etc) Where did you take the classes? 7000 hours!? Holy F**k lol. I thought I had a lot at around 3k. Paramedic? Nurse? 

I have 7k hours because I'm in major career change mode, and I'm older 😂. I'm back in school knocking out science pre-reqs because mine expired. I planned to take 2 of my remaining pre-reqs at DYC. 

10 hours ago, Chasemi said:

I have 7k hours because I'm in major career change mode, and I'm older 😂. I'm back in school knocking out science pre-reqs because mine expired. I planned to take 2 of my remaining pre-reqs at DYC. 

Cool. I am older as well. I finished my pre-reqs at Daemen and unfortunately not all of them are going to transfer (including by organic class which is awful because i tutored it and that lab was AWFUL), so I'll likely be in the same spot as you.  My biochem class was also 3 years ago and they want that in the last 18 months. So my first semester will likely look something like: organic, biochem, some death class, bioethics. Then the semester after will be gross anatomy and pathophys and whatever non science classes they need  me to take. I might have to wait over a year to start, as well, because they aren't guaranteeing acceleration. In that case, Id get my  medic and have some fun in the city. 

It doesn't seem like they notified many other people yet. I know two others that interviewed and its been dark for them, too. 

You don't happen to work for AMR and know JJ do ya?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, DyouvillePA said:

Cool. I am older as well. I finished my pre-reqs at Daemen and unfortunately not all of them are going to transfer (including by organic class which is awful because i tutored it and that lab was AWFUL), so I'll likely be in the same spot as you.  My biochem class was also 3 years ago and they want that in the last 18 months. So my first semester will likely look something like: organic, biochem, some death class, bioethics. Then the semester after will be gross anatomy and pathophys and whatever non science classes they need  me to take. I might have to wait over a year to start, as well, because they aren't guaranteeing acceleration. In that case, Id get my  medic and have some fun in the city. 

It doesn't seem like they notified many other people yet. I know two others that interviewed and its been dark for them, too. 

Nope! But I would be in the same boat with chemistry.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2020 at 4:59 AM, DyouvillePA said:

Hey guys. Im bored at work (EMT-B with AMR in buffalo from 1730-530) and didn't feel like doing any school work so I decided to jump on this page to see how everyone was faring.

I interviewed on the 4th and was accepted on the 9th, via email. I received a physical mail correspondence yesterday, but it didn't list any of the courses that they would accept.

Anyone else get the packet yet?'

To anyone who hasn't received notice yet: Don't lose hope! They just finished interviews on the 14th and they have over (what i would estimate as) 120 competitive applications to compare. You may very well have a seat. There might be several students who they have ranked very similarly that they want to spend serious time analyzing so they can confidently say they chose the right student.  As someone who ruminates I realize how difficult that is to do, but try to just sit tight and stay positive! 

I was waitlisted at another local school and it was agonizing waiting for them to give me a decision. 

Im pulling for you all and hope to see EVERYONE next fall. 

Just going back through the thread now killing time.. that was such a fast acceptance (makes sense given your position, congrats!!) What was included in the email they they sent prior to the letter arriving? Was it generic or specific to what the timeline would look like for new students going forward? 

7 hours ago, InsurancetoPA said:

Just going back through the thread now killing time.. that was such a fast acceptance (makes sense given your position, congrats!!) What was included in the email they they sent prior to the letter arriving? Was it generic or specific to what the timeline would look like for new students going forward? 

Thanks!

I was just as surprised to receive it so quickly. 

It was very non specific. The subject was you've been accepted and they basically stated that they would send a packet with more info. They also linked a page to make my 750 deposit which I did that day. I spoke to an the transfer head and she told me they had to cut back on some staff so I would find out what classes ill need or what track I'm on until may!!! Sucks, but a seat is a seat!d!

keep us poste

On 11/5/2020 at 2:16 PM, Roswell413 said:

Thank you so much for providing an insight. Not asking for the specifics of an interview, but was it a MMI scenario based interview or more of a general personal interview? Please don't feel pressure to answer though if you think it is not fair. 

I'm so sorry, I haven't logged onto the forum since I last messaged. I hope it went well.

On 11/19/2020 at 5:49 PM, DyouvillePA said:

Hey, I transferred to Daemen and currently an undergraduate, and I am trying to apply for the PA program next cycle. Did you apply to Daemen too? I heard Daemen PA program is super hard to get in to, but the admission said they would guarantee me an interview as long as I met all the requirement.

On 12/2/2020 at 2:09 AM, medgeek said:

Hey, I transferred to Daemen and currently an undergraduate, and I am trying to apply for the PA program next cycle. Did you apply to Daemen too? I heard Daemen PA program is super hard to get in to, but the admission said they would guarantee me an interview as long as I met all the requirement.

Tell my about yourself:

Age, gender, GPA, experience?

Daemen is a good school, but it has 2 years of didactic. I did not apply, so i cant give you the insight as to how competitive it is. I did have a classmate who had a 3.4 GPA and struggled in science classes who ended up getting waitlisted and then accepted. She had a strong connection though. 

In the latest peer rankings, D'youville and Daemen are tied (#74). This is a marked change from ten years ago, where Daemen was a top 50 school and D'youville didn't break the top 100, so I feel like the perception that Daemen is more competitive is outdated and based on history rather than current merit. 

I cant be sure, but I get the impression that both schools value different traits (rigid personality traits, GPA, work/ life experience etc).

You said you transferred. What classes are you taking this semester?

8 hours ago, DyouvillePA said:

Tell my about yourself:

Age, gender, GPA, experience?

Daemen is a good school, but it has 2 years of didactic. I did not apply, so i cant give you the insight as to how competitive it is. I did have a classmate who had a 3.4 GPA and struggled in science classes who ended up getting waitlisted and then accepted. She had a strong connection though. 

In the latest peer rankings, D'youville and Daemen are tied (#74). This is a marked change from ten years ago, where Daemen was a top 50 school and D'youville didn't break the top 100, so I feel like the perception that Daemen is more competitive is outdated and based on history rather than current merit. 

I cant be sure, but I get the impression that both schools value different traits (rigid personality traits, GPA, work/ life experience etc).

You said you transferred. What classes are you taking this semester?

Ok so a bit of my background, I originally transferred to Daemen in sophomore year to pursue PT. However, after taking several classes, I realize this field is not for me and decide to switch to the PA route in my junior year (currently).

I am 23 y/o male, and although I have some C's in my freshman year, i did show some upward trend and my GPA is 3.3. As of right now, I am taking Anatomy, CMP 315, and a bunch of free electives. For experience, I have been doing virtual shadowing  with a PA but I have zero PCE right now. However, I am taking the EMT courses at Daemen next semester, and hopefully get some hours in before applying next year. I am also thinking about applying to D'youville too. Additionally, since you are an EMT, do you know any organization that would allow students do volunteering? 

6 hours ago, medgeek said:

Ok so a bit of my background, I originally transferred to Daemen in sophomore year to pursue PT. However, after taking several classes, I realize this field is not for me and decide to switch to the PA route in my junior year (currently).

I am 23 y/o male, and although I have some C's in my freshman year, i did show some upward trend and my GPA is 3.3. As of right now, I am taking Anatomy, CMP 315, and a bunch of free electives. For experience, I have been doing virtual shadowing  with a PA but I have zero PCE right now. However, I am taking the EMT courses at Daemen next semester, and hopefully get some hours in before applying next year. I am also thinking about applying to D'youville too. Additionally, since you are an EMT, do you know any organization that would allow students do volunteering? 

I had a classmate who also did the switch from PT to PA and he was successful. Your 3.3 GPA is obviously not ideal, but you have a chance to prove to the college that you're a worthy candidate by excelling in Comp, anatomy, physiology, biorganic and your electives. They use comp 315 as weed out class, so you will turn heads if you can get a B+ or better.  I would shoot for a 3.5 GPA at minimum with a 3.6 or higher making you much more competitive. Establish strong relationships with your professors and other faculty. Show them how much you want it and how far you're willing to go, without seeming obsessed or desperate. Derek Swartz is a good guy to talk to as well as Jon Good, if you take physiology with him next semester (taking his version of that class is another way to impress the faculty, although i would recommend against it if you're trying to raise your GPA and keep your options open for other schools).

If you are able to achieve a 3.6 or above in your next two semesters, then ride it hard and go for Daemen. If you aren't, still try, but start to look at other opportunities to improve your application once you finish your prerequisites. EMT or CNA are great ways (with EMT, in my opinion being the superior option because it requires working with autonomy ) to get solid DPC and some letters of recommendation from respected medical professionals if you are competent. 

You can get volunteer EMS jobs in peripheral towns/counties, but the best experience is always paid and in a high acuity area, like the city of buffalo, since it shows you can be a medical professional under a lot of stress and with complex cases. AMR does not allow volunteer work and I'm fairly certain twin city doesn't either. We have two people on an ambulance that are responsible for what goes on and the company doesn't want liability for someones actions who doesn't have the right experience. If you were interested in shadowing someone, I would be happy to reach out to management and that might open some doors for you. 

Apply everywhere you can. The admissions process can be fickle at times. Sometimes, you may find yourself getting interviews at a top 50 school and getting flat out rejected at bottom of the barrel institutions. Its a matter of hard work, perseverance and even a little luck.

You're very young, so you have a lot of time. If this is truly  your dream, you may encounter more hurdles than other students, but if you keep pushing forward relentlessly, you will achieve your goal. 

Good luck and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, InsurancetoPA said:

Just heard back!! I’m at least in on the waitlist 😁 good luck to everyone and if you’re giving up your seat call them today!! Haha jk but I am excited 

Haha same I just received an email today. I don’t know how to feel, it’s like an in between feeling, glad I wasn’t rejected but sad I wasn’t accepted 

9 hours ago, prepahopefully said:

Haha same I just received an email today. I don’t know how to feel, it’s like an in between feeling, glad I wasn’t rejected but sad I wasn’t accepted 

Feel proud of yourself! You beat out 1000+ applicants to get an interview and then at least a dozen or more to get on the waitlist. Do you have the prerequisite classes finished or will you be starting fresh?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DyouvillePA said:

Feel proud of yourself! You beat out 1000+ applicants to get an interview and then at least a dozen or more to get on the waitlist. Do you have the prerequisite classes finished or will you be starting fresh?

Thank you, that does make me feel better. I pretty much have all of the prerequisites completed unless they would want me to retake some