Application Cycle of 2020-2021

Congrats to all that received interview invites so far! Mine is this Wednesday. For those who have already interviewed, how would you describe the process? Im nervous of it being on zoom and have no idea what to expect since this is my first interview so far. Good luck to everyone still waiting invites!! 

On 10/29/2020 at 8:30 AM, Roswell413 said:

Got my interview invite as well and scheduled it for November 14. Best wishes to everyone interviewing. For those who interviewed on 10/28, hope it went really well. Any surprises? 

Good luck! It felt very short, but it was nice 

Edited by Tejal
did not finish writing everything
  • Like 1

On 10/30/2020 at 1:30 AM, eo112 said:

Congrats to all that received interview invites so far! Mine is this Wednesday. For those who have already interviewed, how would you describe the process? Im nervous of it being on zoom and have no idea what to expect since this is my first interview so far. Good luck to everyone still waiting invites!! 

Good luck! Make sure you have the Zoom basics, like good lighting and camera position, but most importantly, be confident! You got chosen for a reason, so make it count! The process was calm and they made it very comfortable, and that's nice of them to do that.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 1:01 AM, Tejal said:

Good luck! Make sure you have the Zoom basics, like good lighting and camera position, but most importantly, be confident! You got chosen for a reason, so make it count! The process was calm and they made it very comfortable, and that's nice of them to do that.

Thank you so much for providing an insight. Not asking for the specifics of an interview, but was it a MMI scenario based interview or more of a general personal interview? Please don't feel pressure to answer though if you think it is not fair. 

26 minutes ago, Chasemi said:

For those who have interviewed already, did they tell you we would hear in 10-14 days? I just wanted to make sure I heard that correctly. I was in the first group, and 14 days from the interview date still leaves one more interview session to be completed. 

I also heard that in the intro - caught me SO off guard (in a good way!). Tyra prepared us for a January-ish decision. I interviewed on the 4th - from prior threads it’ll be snail mail! 

• Upvote 1

Just now, InsurancetoPA said:

Any reason you feel that way? Good luck!! Will also update - I’m ready to jump the mailman LOL 

The group interview shook me a little, and I felt like I couldn't share as much as I would have liked because I was nervous about the other applicants. I just didn't feel great about it after hearing the others speak about their qualifications either. You should sign up for informed delivery with the post office. My mail goes missing or is misdelivered a lot, and it sends you a preview of your mail in the morning before the drivers get it. 

9 minutes ago, Chasemi said:

The group interview shook me a little, and I felt like I couldn't share as much as I would have liked because I was nervous about the other applicants. I just didn't feel great about it after hearing the others speak about their qualifications either. You should sign up for informed delivery with the post office. My mail goes missing or is misdelivered a lot, and it sends you a preview of your mail in the morning before the drivers get it. 

I also felt like the format took some about-me time away, so I just tried to stay calm & natural. I keep reminding myself they have my essay, and she brought up some things from my app so she definitely knew what I would’ve wanted to reiterate anyway. I know prior applicants got to do a writing piece & had that one on one time - so just remember they knew this wasn’t the norm for everyone. I used to have the informed delivery! Good call 

Edited by InsurancetoPA
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, soptrix said:

Does anyone else have the interview tomorrow? I've never done a group interview and I'm super nervous, any tips? 

People have mentioned it's fairly short and comfortable, but why is it 3 hours? lol 

I had my interview on the 14th and I thought that was the last interview. So my interview time was 9am-12pm. But the first session is just the introduction where the committee discusses the program. There was also a current student from the program (the president, I believe) who spoke to us in detail and answered questions we had. Before the zoom call even began, I received another email from my interviewer with the link to a second zoom call. That is supposed to be your actual group interview. So keep an eye out for that email, you will get it either before the introduction zoom call or during it. My group interview was at 11am. So once the introduction zoom call ended around 9:45am, I still had some time before my actual interview. The actual interview lasted like 30-40 minutes. Goodluck!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, prepahopefully said:

Does anyone know if we're for sure getting our decision letter through the mail or can it also be through email as well? because I have been checking my emails like crazy every hour!

From prior threads and intro to the interview conversation it sounds like mail! Between this forum, my email and mailman I’m exhausted 😂

• Haha 1

Hey guys. Im bored at work (EMT-B with AMR in buffalo from 1730-530) and didn't feel like doing any school work so I decided to jump on this page to see how everyone was faring.

I interviewed on the 4th and was accepted on the 9th, via email. I received a physical mail correspondence yesterday, but it didn't list any of the courses that they would accept.

Anyone else get the packet yet?'

To anyone who hasn't received notice yet: Don't lose hope! They just finished interviews on the 14th and they have over (what i would estimate as) 120 competitive applications to compare. You may very well have a seat. There might be several students who they have ranked very similarly that they want to spend serious time analyzing so they can confidently say they chose the right student.  As someone who ruminates I realize how difficult that is to do, but try to just sit tight and stay positive! 

I was waitlisted at another local school and it was agonizing waiting for them to give me a decision. 

Im pulling for you all and hope to see EVERYONE next fall. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/16/2020 at 7:44 PM, Chasemi said:

Nothing yet! I personally feel like I'm getting rejected...however as soon as I get my letter I will post. I'm local to Buffalo and expecting I will get it quickly. 

Don't think that way! The selection process can be tragically fickle. If they interviewed you, you know they already liked you on paper. Sometimes they aren't looking for the most articulate person, or the most detailed person, but the person who they deem the BEST FIT for their program, compared to other applicants they accepted. 

To wit, I interviewed with another PA program. My stats were superior to two other people I knew that applied. While i stumbled on one question on the one on one portion of the interview, I answered them genuinely and with detail. The group interview session was an absolute blood bath. I made every relevant point and the others started off every sentence of theirs with "like (insert my name) said".

I was so confident I was basically already planning for my life at this PA program. Just a few days later, I got an email saying I was waitlisted and 2 weeks after that a confirmation that all the seats had been filled. 

I know for a fact that one student in particular who got accepted had a 3.28 GPA with C in orgo and B- in biochem ( I got an A and tutored the class). She also had ZERO academic letters of recommendation (though she did have a letter of recommendation from our medical director at work). She said she thought the interview went well but was nervous about certain things she said as well .... and yet. she beat me out, with seemingly far inferior qualifications. 

Point is, you never know what they are looking for, what they prefer in candidates, or how you come across that day. You may have impressed something upon them that you don't realize and they are just trying to determine whether they like you or someone they ranked closely to you more. 

If it doesn't work out, keep your head up. Look for ways to improve your interview skills. Make eye contact, speak confidently, have general frameworks of answers prepared to all types of questions. Hate to invoke the cliche but, "everything happens for a reason". I believe it. If I got into the other school I might not have taken this interview as seriously and missed out on a chance to attend a more established, higher ranked school, like D'youville. 

I hope to hear of your acceptance soon and will be checking this thread daily. 

🤞

Edited by DyouvillePA
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, DyouvillePA said:

Hey guys. Im bored at work (EMT-B with AMR in buffalo from 1730-530) and didn't feel like doing any school work so I decided to jump on this page to see how everyone was faring.

I interviewed on the 4th and was accepted on the 9th, via email. I received a physical mail correspondence yesterday, but it didn't list any of the courses that they would accept.

Anyone else get the packet yet?'

To anyone who hasn't received notice yet: Don't lose hope! They just finished interviews on the 14th and they have over (what i would estimate as) 120 competitive applications to compare. You may very well have a seat. There might be several students who they have ranked very similarly that they want to spend serious time analyzing so they can confidently say they chose the right student.  As someone who ruminates I realize how difficult that is to do, but try to just sit tight and stay positive! 

I was waitlisted at another local school and it was agonizing waiting for them to give me a decision. 

Im pulling for you all and hope to see EVERYONE next fall. 

Congratulations! You're the first I've heard accepted. I wish you the best of luck in the program. How exciting! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2