class of 2015, interviews, acceptance, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! Either of the Holiday Inns (Airport or Uptown), Park Inn by Radison, Hyatt Uptown, Sheraton Uptown, (basically any "Uptown"), the La Quinta @ 140 & San Mateo... all are within about 10 minute drive from the hotel, and some of those have airport shuttles (not sure which!)... You'll probably want to avoid the Central/Tramway area hotels... :o)

As for things to do, what are you interested in? I can give you lots of ideas if I know what you're into... hiking, trails, zoo, movies, etc! You'll also get a packet on the morning of your interview with tons of info about Albuquerque, where to live, what to do, transportation, and a whole bunch of other stuff! :o)

@qcheedude - not as hot as in June!! You'll be looking at mid-high 90s with no humidity. It's hot, but bearable - promise!!! (and July-Aug is what we call "monsoon season" meaning you'll likely get a late afternoon or evening thunderstorm with your visit and our lightning beats any I've seen elsewhere :o)... )

@raikes - great to hear! get all your fun adventures in while you can! (though our long december break gives time for a few of my classmates to head to Iceland, and some others took a cruise on one of our week-long breaks in march!)

@dvnnov - It is a good school. I am a firm believer that every program has its good and bad. The bad here is limited to the fast pace you'll feel anywhere, and the campus isn't so beautiful... but the plan is that they'll possibly be moving during your didactic year to a fancier place! It is an expensive program - but average when compared to schools across the nation. It is accredited and has a 5-year stamp of approval before the next one (we just got that this year!). It has always been a masters program, and has graduated lots of students - most of which pass the PANCE first time around. They're doing a LOT to ensure passing of the PANCE, including some guinea pig stuff with my class that seems really positive. And in my opinion, the faculty do a lot to make sure you succeed here. You have a ton of resources at your fingertips! Are there parts I wish we didn't have to deal with? sure...but you'll find that at every single program... they continually change things for each class to make sure everyone who puts in the work will succeed. If you have any other questions, or specific ones, please feel free to ask or make a list for your interview when you'll get to interact with current students and ask a bunch of us!

• 1 month later...

Don't be nervous! If you have yet to interview, you'll hopefully leave realizing you were worried about nothing! It's meant to make you feel comfortable and relaxed - what's the point of trying to get to know you when you're all tensed up and not like yourself at all!? Best of luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey JB1, there is a group interview involving you + 3 interviewees and 4 faculty members. Thankfully, each interviewee is asked a different question and they are specific to your experiences/what you have done to help give them a feel for your preparedness to handle various situations in the future. There are 2 individual interviews that feel more like a conversation instead of a Q&A session. Lastly, there's a short writing portion. USF does a great job at helping you relax from the moment you walk through the doors. There are current students available to talk to and the faculty is very warm and friendly. Main thing to remember is take a deep breath, relax, and have fun/be yourself. Best of luck this week!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived