what are my chances

hello,

i'm considering applying this cycle after completing my BSc in biology this past spring. i'm not sure if there is anyone here who has had an interview invite or being accepted with similar stats. your input is greatly appreciated.

thanks

cGPA:3.3

sGPA: 2.97

Volunteering 1500

PCE 11280 hrs

HCE: 4500

shadow hours: 120

LORs: 1 MD and 2 PAs

no GRE score, no research hrs

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mands
On 7/22/2020 at 6:24 PM, mccleen said:

hello,

i'm considering applying this cycle after completing my BSc in biology this past spring. i'm not sure if there is anyone here who has had an interview invite or being accepted with similar stats. your input is greatly appreciated.

thanks

cGPA:3.3

sGPA: 2.97

Volunteering 1500

PCE 11280 hrs

HCE: 4500

shadow hours: 120

LORs: 1 MD and 2 PAs

no GRE score, no research hrs

I'm no pro, just an applicant myself! 

SOO, I feel like your science gpa is on the lower side... It meets the minimum for some programs (given most require a flat 3.0-3.2), but the average is usually like 3.2-3.4 for most of the ones I looked at (i feel like i looked at a lot)! 

Your hours are BOMB! 🙂  LOR sounds very strong too! Research hours don't matter for the most part (even though I have it)...

However, I do want to ask, why didn't you take the GRE? Yeah, it's optional for some programs... However, I feel like with your lower academic GPA, you could use this as a crutch for sure... especially if you score very high. I would reccomend you find the schools you like and see if they accept GRE (or the PA-CAT is coming up now too for a lot of programs, which is testing in the pre-req subjects).

I'm not one to judge, but from your stats, I can tell that you work very hard with like volunteerism/work, but your science will be the weigh down on your applications if anything (you can prove this with a high score, though and probably not have to retake courses!)

• 2 weeks later...

Everything besides your GPA is aces. 

1. Raise that science GPA to 3.01 to make sure your application is seen as that is the cutoff for about a 100 programs. 

2. Slaughter the GRE. 

3. If you don't have an upward last 60 credits trend, take a couple easy science classes and one or two more difficult that you know, not think, you can get As in. 

Additional consideration: Sounds like you have been out of school for some time so make sure sure your check the programs prerequisites as most school want these to be less than 7 years old. 

Oremus Pro Invicem