hello,

i'm considering applying this cycle after completing my BSc in biology this past spring. i'm not sure if there is anyone here who has had an interview invite or being accepted with similar stats. your input is greatly appreciated.

thanks

cGPA:3.3

sGPA: 2.97

Volunteering 1500

PCE 11280 hrs

HCE: 4500

shadow hours: 120

LORs: 1 MD and 2 PAs

no GRE score, no research hrs

Your PCE hours are crazy high, but what are they in? As long as they are direct and preferred patient care experience for your programs, I see no problem there. You are highly competitive in that.

Not all schools require the GRE, and for schools that don't, they don't even ask for it so I do not believe it will hurt your application. It may just limit the schools you can apply to a bit, but I wouldn't worry too much about this otherwise.

Volunteering & shadowing is great, and so is your healthcare experience hours. If I were you, I'd try to diversify your LORs a bit (maybe get one from a professor to show how you are academically?), but having at least one from a PA is great.

I don't have any research hours myself and I've gotten 2 interviews so far so I don't think that is a large factor, especially if you have other highlights on your application.

Your cGPA is just OK, but your sGPA is a cause for concern. Make sure you meet the GPA cutoff before applying to any programs.

That being said, I think you have a solid chance as long as your GPA meets the minimum requirements and your type of PCE is accepted. I have seen a lot of stories on this forum of students who have average or low GPAs, but who get interviews due to a lot of direct patient care experience. I think if you apply strategically, you should at least get a few bites. 🙂 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Brucekent1811
      I'd like is advice from the perspective of some people who have finished school and gone to work as a PA.  How important are learning clinical lab skills?  
    • By FromMic2Meds
      Hey everyone, I am putting together my application for the upcoming cycle. I am at the part where I am inputting my transcript and can't figure out how to classify some courses taken as part of my Health Sciences major which kind of 'umbrellas' subjects under health care.
      The course in question is: Marketing in Healthcare. 
      My dilemma is classifying this under either:
      Health Science Marketing Health Science Administration Please help 🙃
    • By ChristianPrePA
      Personally, I'm gaining my patient-care hours from working as a Physical Therapist Assistant, but other great options are: EMT, CNA/CMA, RA, ER tech, Scribe, etc. I've also considered being a scribe, ER tech, pharm tech, and EMT.
      I made a short video discussing my picks for the "Top 5 PCE jobs for Pre-PAs / PA school.
      Let me know if I missed any. What are you guys doing to gain PCE hours? Any ideas/suggestions/feedback would be greatly appreciated!
    • By futurepa1998
      Here are my stats 
      Gpas when I graduated with a degree in Biology 
      Cgpa-2.93 sgpa 2.73
      Took 45 credit hours post-bacc on my own
      Those gpas were cgpa-3.93 and sgpa 4.0
      It changed my original gpas to a cgpa of 3.13 and sgpa of 3.12
      PCE hours as a CNA ~1900 by the time I apply 
      HCE hours as a Pathology Tech 1200
      Volunteer ~200 which includes a medical mission trip to Panama for a week, starting a HOSA club at my community college, did many leadership activities, and habitat for humanity projects 
      Shadowing~100 half in person other was virtual
      LOR’s- 2 PA’s, 1 MD, 1 from current boss
      Only thing I need to take is GRE

I know my gpas are low and it was from my sophomore and junior year struggling with personal situations and also recently learning I have ADHD which caused me to change completely how I study. I am 22 btw if that helps with anything. 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More