Hold out on job offer decision until other interview??

Hi everyone! (I hope this is the best place for my situation/questions)

I just had my second interview last week for a hospital job that I really liked! I am fully expecting an offer for this position--I missed a call late today from HR so I'm actually expecting it tomorrow. However, I just had my first interview today for a different job in my hometown that I really would love! I can truly see myself at either position and both have pros/cons, but I would love the job I interviewed for today a little more because it is day shift in the office versus the hospital offer which is nights. My interviewer today mentioned that the office job has A LOT of interest and that they still have several other interviews to complete, so I shouldn't expect to hear from them in ~2 weeks regarding second interviews. We got along great, and I feel that she really liked me for the position since I'm from the area, and they are hiring multiple providers due to opening a new location.

My question--if the hospital job verbally offers me the position tomorrow, should I provisionally accept it and hope that the contract takes a few days (or weeks🤞) and hold out to hear about the second job? Or how long approximately do employers expect you to sign a contract after an offer? I really want a shot at the job in my hometown, but also don't want to lose out on the hospital job if the office job doesn't give me an offer. I wasn't sure if it looks bad to be honest and ask them for a few weeks before I make a decision due to other options I'm exploring--I figured if I'm honest and they truly want me for the job, they'll wait? I also thought about telling the office job that I received a different offer but that they are my number one choice so I was hoping for a yes/no to a second interview to try to speed up that process; however, I don't want to seem like I am trying to rush them and since they have so much interest (>100 applicants on indeed) that they wouldn't feel any obligation to give me a quicker answer. Anyone have any input or had similar experiences?? Sorry for the slight ramble!

(also I'm a new grad so this is all relatively new to me) 

Edited by pagalnimi

Are you a new grad? The second job might not have the best training if they are hiring multiple providers.

Sounds like you are unsure of what job to take. Do you know the pay range and benefits (including cost of medical insurance and 401K matching) for both jobs? That might help us help you choose.

15 hours ago, AbeTheBabe said:

Are you a new grad? The second job might not have the best training if they are hiring multiple providers.

Sounds like you are unsure of what job to take. Do you know the pay range and benefits (including cost of medical insurance and 401K matching) for both jobs? That might help us help you choose.

Yes, new grad! The second job is at a derm office, and they have 3 providers so it sounded like they are planning to hire 3 PAs and have us rotate for training. She mentioned a 6-12 month training period (pretty much a fellowship) with reduced compensation but I didn't mind since it's hard to break into, but we didn't get into too many specifics. The hospital job starts with a 6 month fellowship at $35/40 per hour then goes to contract following my 6 month training as I would move to night shifts and work autonomously. Both have a "generous" as they say benefit package.

I am extremely unsure because they both interest me which makes this decision that much harder! I don't wanna lose the hospital job in hopes of the derm job, but I also don't want to take the hospital job just for security and miss out on a different amazing opportunity. 

-6 months at reduced compensation is bullshit, maybe acceptable for derm as that seems to be a standard, but not for hospitalist.

-solo overnights after 6 months is a recipe for disaster

-every benefit package is "generous" if you ask HR

-in my experience you get about a week to make a decision on a job offer, more like "by the end of the week"

-it is reasonable to tell one that you have another offer to try to nudge them, but they could easily just write you off at that point so you shouldn't be bluffing.

I've never heard of a training pay period at a hospital, but I understand it's quite common for derm. Do you WANT to be in derm? Because if you start off in derm it's going to be hard to switch to another specialty down the road.

You really need to get the details of both benefit packages including PTO, 401K matching, sick days, holidays, cost of medical insurance (solo, couple,family), etc. You can't truly evaluate compensation without those numbers. If they offer you the job, ask for a written offer and for the details of the benefits package. That will help buy some time. In the meantime, reach out to the recruiter or office manager or HR at the derm office and get their benefits details as well to help you make your decision.

13 hours ago, Arthropathy said:

-6 months at reduced compensation is bullshit, maybe acceptable for derm as that seems to be a standard, but not for hospitalist.

-solo overnights after 6 months is a recipe for disaster

-every benefit package is "generous" if you ask HR

-in my experience you get about a week to make a decision on a job offer, more like "by the end of the week"

-it is reasonable to tell one that you have another offer to try to nudge them, but they could easily just write you off at that point so you shouldn't be bluffing.

It was the first time I had heard of a shortened hospitalist fellowship, but I think it's only in place for when they hire new grads for this specific role (night floaters yay) and want to give us some kind of reassurance that we will be prepared. I am hoping that negotiations will buy me some time so that I don't end up in a professionalism dilemma (verbally taking one job and then backing out for another)... I don't want to burn bridges but would do so for the right opportunity. 

13 hours ago, AbeTheBabe said:

I've never heard of a training pay period at a hospital, but I understand it's quite common for derm. Do you WANT to be in derm? Because if you start off in derm it's going to be hard to switch to another specialty down the road.

You really need to get the details of both benefit packages including PTO, 401K matching, sick days, holidays, cost of medical insurance (solo, couple,family), etc. You can't truly evaluate compensation without those numbers. If they offer you the job, ask for a written offer and for the details of the benefits package. That will help buy some time. In the meantime, reach out to the recruiter or office manager or HR at the derm office and get their benefits details as well to help you make your decision.

The training period is specifically in place for when they hire new graduates for this specific role (I'm guessing they couldn't find too many experienced hospitalists PAs willing to float straight nights). I know it's a huge commitment and the decision will impact my entire career, and while I genuinely could see myself in either position, I know derm would be better lifestyle (and closer to home, DAY SHIFT!!). 

There's no PTO, they match at 5.5%, I have to ask about sick days, holidays, CME/license expenses, and malpractice still because they weren't mentioned. Health insurance has 2 options at either 20/80 or 10/90 (I pay, they pay). Deductibles are reasonable especially since I'm single with no kids. They sent a benefit packet but definitely still need to clear up some other expenses. 

I'm planning on reaching out to one of the PAs that currently works in that derm office (friend of a friend) currently for info about the benefits!